router..

Last Updated:

1. Solidis

Solidis Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hey Guys i currently have a Xbox and i just bought a PS3... i was wonder what Router should i buy thats gonna get me the best Wi-Fi... for my PS3 .. im gonna use the Ethernet for my PC and Xbox...

Advertisement
  2. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

I'm personally a big fan of Linksys. I guess the question is whether or not you are looking for a g-router or n-router. If you want g, go with the Linksys WRT54G2. If you want n, go with the Linksys E2000/3000.

3. The_Gnome_

The_Gnome_ Well-Known Member

I agree - I've used a few brands (Linksys, D-Link, Belkin, etc) and keep coming back to Linksys. I'm currently using a wireless N router from Linksys (I can get the model when I get home if you'd like it) with my PS3 and there are no issues with signal strength or lag playing online over PSN.

4. chrisinsocalif

chrisinsocalif Well-Known Member

Even though i have 2 linksys routers (WRT600N, WRT54GS) I am going to disagree with the previous posts. The best router in my opinion is the WNDR3700 by Netgear which has better wireless throughput. They have dropped the price of this router probably because they will be releasing another version.
    The great thing about the Netgear WNDR3700 it is also supported by DD-WRT which is a 3rd party firmware which has many advanced features not available on the stock firmware.
    Check out the links here:
    DD-WRT
    MaximumPC Netgear WNDR3700 Review
    MaximumPC Linksys E3000 Review

5. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire Developer

I have heard great things about that Netgear WNDR3700 but I've had so many issues with them (Netgear) in the past that after switching to Linksys and being problem free I'd just prefer to stay within my comfort zone.

6. chrisinsocalif

chrisinsocalif Well-Known Member

Linksys had solid routers but their quality has diminished since being bought out by Cisco. In a lot of throughput testing the Netgear seems to be on top.
    Another option not only for the Netgear but Linksys routers, is using a 3rd party firmware which can alleviate some issues if you have the technical knowhow to do such a thing. For my WRT600N, I have to use a 3rd party firmware (DD-WRT v24-sp2 mega - build 15501) in order for it to work correctly. My two routers are linked wirelessly to expand my range and have my main router also serve as a VPN server so when i am at Starbucks or open wifi, i can have a secure connection to my home network without worrying about people sniffing for passwords or stealing other information.

7. VegasOnAcid

VegasOnAcid Well-Known Member

I dont think there is any reason not to get a N at this point.