RS pre-order - verification process

Last Updated:

1. therockfrog

therockfrog Member This Topic's Starter

So, I hit the RS kiosk at my local mall, tell the girl I want to preorder the EVO, she fills out info, runs my credit card and gives me the gift card. I leave. Then, she calls my phone and tells me to come back as she forgot to run the credit check. I go back, she runs it, it comes up with some weird issue. She calls a bunch of phone numbers, finally gets someone....they start to run my credit but need to ask me those identity questions before they run the credit. The kiosk girl kept saying she is in big trouble because she ran my CC for the gift card before the credit check and she didnt know how to credit back the gift card.

So, the credit lady asked 4 questions. Only one of the 4 has an answer that is correct, the rest are "none of the above". Then, the credit person tells the kiosk person that the verification process failed and I would get a letter in the mail with further instructions...OMG.

So, I drive home with a gift card that I might have to fight to get a refund off if my credit check doesnt go through (dont know why it wouldn't)...then I get another call from the kiosk girl and she says oh, she still has my driver's license. What a pain.

Still don't know if I'm getting the phone....but at least I had some fun with RS!

Advertisement
  2. GeneralPatton

GeneralPatton Well-Known Member

Credit check? o_O

3. TheBiles

TheBiles Well-Known Member

You shouldn't need a credit check unless you are opening a new line.

4. bimmjo

bimmjo Well-Known Member

Dude, its great you can have a good attitude about it all. I get cranky at stuff like that. Nice to know you could take it all without going postal.

5. ImmaSlave4U

ImmaSlave4U Well-Known Member

Whoa, that was not my experience. There should be no credit-check necessary. Make sure you verify you have a pre-order before the 31st. I would go to a real RS store...Kiosks are often half-assed in my experience. You definitely need to at least talk to somebody else besides that girl...at least. Keep us posted, man!

6. therockfrog

I think since I had Sprint service in the past but am now with AT&T, somehow my past history popped up the credit check...I dont know.

Once I get that letter and hopefully get my identity verified, I will absolutely get on the phone with RS and make sure my pre order is still valid and I still have one coming to the kiosk/store in that mall.

I can't believe I've gotten so excited and stressed over a phone. My fiance works for AT&T and we are going to take the sim out of my iphone, use it in a cheapo phone to keep the number, and then I'll use that phone as a touch...perfect!

7. therockfrog

WOW.

So, I get the letter in the mail telling me I am denied for Sprint service because of my credit.

Uh, I had Sprint 4 years ago, I was making 34k a year, my FICO was 575. Now, I'm making 48K a year, my FICO is 645. I dont get it.

On the letter, one of the reasons I was denied was the 'Number of open mortgage accounts'. UH, I dont have any mortgages.

I called them and they didnt even say I could open an account with a deposit...no way to open an account period...WTF.

My fiance works at AT&T and she, in 11 years, has never heard of anyone NOT being able to get service, whether with credit or with a deposit. I am totally befuddled.

I guess since I really want an android phone I have to go with Verizon now.

I was sooooooooooo excited, now soooooooooo unbelivably pissed off.

Oh well.

8. ferbs027

ferbs027 Member

Some mistake had to have been made here. Your credit score isn't that bad.

9. cooper1010

cooper1010 Well-Known Member

more importantly...they have radio shack kiosks?!?

j/k. go to a corporate sprint store and bitch your face off. bring a print out of your own credit report.

10. DUBious

DUBious Well-Known Member

<-- RS employee. i cant legally bash the kiosks but...yeah. on the other hand, you still have a wife with her own credit and you can always put it under her name then make yourself an authorized user. just a thought.

11. BetterMost

BetterMost Banned

Call Sprint sales yourself ask them to run the credit check and give you the pre approval code number to give to Radio Shack as I did. Also tell them what happened at Radio Shack. Simple.

12. skinnyguy

skinnyguy Well-Known Member

whoa....

first, welcome to my world....

second...how did you get your letter so fast? i got denied on thursday or friday and still haven't gotten it....but i haven't checked today's mail yet either.

anyways, i've never been with sprint before however, i currently do have a mortgage. supposedly my credit was good (when we got the mortgage). i don't think we've been late with a mortgage payment yet. but we haven't lived here for 2 years....yet. that will be a different story come june.

13. therockfrog

Well....I just couldnt understand the reason so I called the credit department again.

This person told me, no, I wasn't denied because of my credit, that I had better credit than most applicants, I was denied because I failed the verification. The reason they did the verification was because the kiosk girl put in my birthdate incorrectly....so it was flagged and then they asked me those 4 questions and somehow I didnt answer one of them right.

The lady told me to call back next week, speak to a supervisor, explain what happened, and someone will eventually let me do the verification a second time....of course, I thought I answered the first time correctly so I'd better be on the ball the second time!

What a pain.

14. skinnyguy

nope. nothing in the mail yet...

15. skinnyguy

i'm sure i got my mom's age wrong (i made her 10 years younger, heh)...hey, i'm a guy, we get birthdays wrong all the time...

what i learned from another thread is that we have 2 chances to try and then we're locked out for 60 days.

i'm just gonna save my 2nd chance for the day of release and hope i can get it that day...and go to a sprint store (hopefully that makes my chances better).

16. KARbabee

KARbabee Active Member

ok yeah i feel your pain. My bf tried to get a sprint account & he has GREAT credit! Even better than me! They flagged him (said it was random) & he had to answer questions as well. Him and his dad have the same name & first they were answering questions that were for his dad. He told them about the same name thing so they asked him a second set. They asked him questions like how old is your aunt and where does your aunt reside. He hasn't spoken to his aunt in YEARS and could not answer the question! Since it was his 2nd time they denied him!! He was so pissed off asked to speak to a supervisor. They told him to go to a court house and get his public records changed! Wow so now he has to wait 60 days to try again! So i ended up just getting an account and hes gonna be on my family plan...but sheesh that verification thing is so stupid!! And that was straight from Sprint itself...at the Sprint store! SMH!

17. MsRandall

MsRandall Well-Known Member

As I read this I truly understand from a customers perceptive the VERFICATION is
    inconvenient and a hassle. However it is done because everyone is not honest and to reduce fraud. Hang in there - the great thing is you have 15 days to get it starightened out...GOOD LUCK!!!

18. skinnyguy

yea right...but if you don't get it straightened out, gotta wait 60 days. i swear, i'm dying on tmo with edge data speeds!!

19. therockfrog

I actually was so annoyed with the whole thing.....I bought a droid. It arrived today at home and I will be playing with that, rooting it, getting all into the android O/S.

I work up in Alaska in the summer, make a bunch of extra money...if I really want the EVO, I'll buy out the Verizon contract in August and get it then..OR, wait for another big, awesome phone to come to Verizon and then upgrade.....

I just couldnt wait....waaaaaaay too impatient.

Now, the kiosk girl has to give me my credit for that gift card she ran BEFORE she ran my credit.

20. Doomstang

Doomstang Well-Known Member

i pre ordered at radio shack and told the guy ima upgrade thru my mom's line and activate on mine and he said they dont even need to know any of that until i pick up the evo on 4th or 5th...he only asked for my name, address, and phone number to be contacted at (NOT the line im upgrading).

21. katmandoo122

katmandoo122 Well-Known Member

I went through the verification last year when I bought my Pre. Started my own business so my credit is "bruised". The sales guy at the Sprint store was clearly already setting me up for failure saying maybe they'd let me do a deposit. Answered the 4 verification questions, put the sales guy back on the line. He listens, hangs up, and suddenly got REALLY friendly..."YOu're approved for up to 10 lines...how many you want?"

I don't think they bother with the verification unless your score comes up high enough in the first place so I think that it is usually aproblem with the public records.