Rubbish Battery since installing K4 :-(Support

Last Updated:

1. Hawklord

Hawklord Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Anyone else had this problem?

Its performance is far worse. I suspected maybe the new task killer (with its banner ad) might be not helping but kill that.

Performance of battery just nowhere as good as prior 02 [nothing running (other than sync for calendar contacts and sometimes email app)].

I guess the battery could be getting old (5mts?!?) or out of condition [I always recharge with the phone on].

Android experience (let alone Samsung cough cough) not what I was expecting ... frequent changes mean its an unpredictable phone ... frm a user perspective its not so much a matter of perfection alround as knowing what is what ... strong points weak points and allowing for them and then forgetting about the technology.

Am even thinking iPhone model has some advantages [more consistent user experience] ... i think for someone who knows nothing i would recommend an iphone over android. Google made a great search engine but are still cutting their teeth in other domains (and look at how well (not) MS branched out).

H

Advertisement
  2. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

Are you seeing bad battery life from 100% to 0%, or only from 100% to 50% ?

I ask because there was a change to the 'slope' of the readout; before that it was dropping nicely until 50% and then WHAM you were at 5%. Now, it should drop to 50% faster than before, but then NOT drop to zero nearly instantly.

3. Hawklord

Hi Klaymen

Yes I think I am seeing it fall to 50 faster. However it then continues dow to less than 10 after not too long (not getting a day out of it on minimal a real use (no wifi, no 3G etc)).

H.

4. KlaymenDK

Ui, that's truly not a lot. Are you running a lot of widgets? In particular, not just picture frames but things that want regular updates. Otherwise ... I dunno.

5. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

check that background data hasnt magically turned itself back on
    it does that sometimes when you install programs
    also taskiller is a drain.

6. KlaymenDK

...if you have the "what's running now" widget running (because it wants to update itself frequently).
    TasKiller, as an application, is not a battery drain.

7. Hawklord

No widgets - no nothing [and by the way apps seem much slower at loading than with prior o2 approved firmwares]. Re taskiller indeed i had read that updating widget is a drain and the app is not. However i suspected that is taskiller is active in the background due to this new and irritating ad banner on the free version it *might* be busy constantly connecting to the internet to update what it would be advertising [background data again].

Indeed background data is turned on ... but if i disable it then doesnt it not sync the contacts/calendar (sorry brain fade as bad cold right now) ... i got caught out by that before syncing all this stuff pc-www-galaxy is a major use for me [and killer when out and about and find some telno didnt make it automatically].

Thanks for the support and suggestions folks.

I guess next step is to clear out all apps (aint using many) caches etc ... and/or wait for k5 which apparently has better battery.

To ask a different question with this frequent recharge battery necessity what are we thinking is the economic lifetime of the galaxy battery [ie beyond which its a pain and one has to buy a new one to avoid carrying a car battery and charger in backpack :-D]?

cheers

H

8. Rastaman-FB

Rastaman-FB Well-Known Member

you are correct, autosynch is off when you turn off background data
    thing is though ive never been able to go more than 24hrs with it turned on
    with it off it lasts 2 days

9. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

did you do a factory reset when flashing k4?

someone else can elaborate on the reasons, but it's "advisable" to do a factory reset when flashing new firmware

10. Hawklord

No I didnt... I just used NPS to do what it needed to do (in the no doubt naive belief that doing things as recommended by the carrier/manufacturer would "do the right thing").

11. Hawklord

Is it really thought that a factory reset (settings->...->factory data reset?) could help this? Dont fancy re-entering all my passwords etc again if its not necessary,,,

12. mrqs

mrqs Well-Known Member

well it's supposed to help with stability and whatnot when flashing new firmware via odin, tho' i don't know if that applies to an nps update as well (?)