• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

*rumor*Bionic being pulled from shelves**

Accurate documentation..

2011-10-18-13.21.502-620x200.jpg

The "unsellable" Bionic. ;)

Reactions: chile62 and xmr405o
Upvote 0
The one thing I'd like to know is where this picture came from? It could be one store that is unable to sell them. I hope this is not coming from an actual Verizon store but more of a smaller retailer.

As numerous people have said, they are still sold online, through various stores, at Costco, and at a Verizon store via a relative...

I am thinking this might be a notice from a smaller dealer that pissed off Verizon and they pulled their selling rights on the Bionic.

I have a feeling it would be MUCH bigger news if it was being pulled than a single screenshot...

Besides, I could type up a document that would look like that, take a pic, and put it on the internet too.

Reactions: YankeeDudeL
Upvote 0
Honestly (and though it may sound crazy) if this is true it would make complete sense.

The fact of the matter is the Bionic should have been out 6 to 8 months ago. For whatever reason it kept getting pushed back till it's recent release.

Meanwhile Moto has had another team working on the RAZR all this time. The RAZR is hands down Moto's flagship device. It's a phone that was loved in the past and chances are it will be loved once again in the future. Of course with it's release slated for November this leaves Moto in a bit of a pickle.

Other than the battery and just by looks/name recognition alone it's a safe bet the RAZR will blow any chance of large sales numbers for the Bionic out of the water. When looking at production costs etc it makes no sense for Moto to compete with itself by continuing to produce both phones as they basically have launched within 2 months of each other.

Again the Bionic should have been released months ago but for whatever reason it was not. Now the RAZR hits on schedule with a super amoled, claimed improved battery life etc. And the phone has fricken kevlar on the back!! (sorry had to throw that in there lol).

Anyway for Moto fans at this point in time the only thing the Bionic seems to have over the RAZR is the removable battery. When you look at the fact that the Bionic should have been released long ago and now is in a position of Moto competing with itself it would make sense to cut the Bionic out.

Sure they are both Moto phones and thus all the money would go to Moto for each one sold. However by keeping the Bionic it also doubles their production costs as well. Anyway just rambling on a bit here but this is my 2 cents on this issue if it turns out to be true.

Reactions: trophynuts
Upvote 0
Like I've said before, that screenshot could be for a store anywhere. It doesn't mean the end of the road for the Bionic. A store could have had a bad batch and return rates were too high so they froze the resale of the Bionic.

Now if that's a corporate email to Verizon stores, then that's an issue. haha.

Upvote 0
Two comments.

First, the fact that the Razr doesn't have a removable, replaceable and upgradeable/extendable battery concerns me. One of the reasons touted for the long wait for the Bionic was the 4G battery drain issue that was supposedly fixed. The way it was fixed was by offering an extended battery with cover through Verizon for 25 bucks. As an aside, I think the reason the extended battery was offered for so cheap was an admission by moto and verizon that standard battery life was unacceptable for a state of the art device. We all know that 4G and amoled are both notorious for battery drain and the Razr has both. Unless the Razr is also sporting some new hi-tech state of the art battery technology (to match the Kevlar case), there is no way this skinny phone can compete with a Bionic with an extended battery in a 4g heavy usage scenario. That and the fact that so many times the recommended action for a buggy android phone is to do a battery pull makes me skeptical that the Razr won't be plagued by its own set of problems upon release.

Second, if they do pull the bionic, which I really doubt, that means that all of us owners are sitting on a goldmine because our bionics are destined to be collectors items! Yep, just like my 8-track collection and my wife's mood ring!

Upvote 0
...just like my 8-track collection and my wife's mood ring!

:lol:
That's classic!
At first, I was going to say, "Collectors items?!?", but then this bit at the end revealed the tongue in cheek part of your statement. :)

Geez, I hope they don't pull the Bionic. It's having more and more people buying a given thing that makes it more likely for R&D (internally and by third parties) to continue on the given device/platform/whatever it is.

Upvote 0
That's classic!
At first, I was going to say, "Collectors items?!?", but then this bit at the end revealed the tongue in cheek part of your statement. :)

Geez, I hope they don't pull the Bionic. It's having more and more people buying a given thing that makes it more likely for R&D (internally and by third parties) to continue on the given device/platform/whatever it is.

Hey man, I didn't even mention my Ricardo Montalban Signature Edition Chrysler Cordoba with the Corinthian Leather seats!

Upvote 0
like i said guys this is strictly a rumor. I just thought i would pass it along when i saw it on twitter.

I have to agree with Chi-TownTX though it would make more sense to just kill off the line. There is no sense in continuing production on the bionic when you have the RAZR. If i were Moto i would finish out the production that is currently under way then Axe the Bionic.

Upvote 0
That's classic!

don't forget the Lava Lamp! Heck, I bought one at costco a few years back, but it failed quickly (the water turned cloudy) so I returned it and they didn't have any more on hand.

Upvote 0
like i said guys this is strictly a rumor. I just thought i would pass it along when i saw it on twitter.

I have to agree with Chi-TownTX though it would make more sense to just kill off the line. There is no sense in continuing production on the bionic when you have the RAZR. If i were Moto i would finish out the production that is currently under way then Axe the Bionic.

I can't alwasy tell when you're joking.

It is sounding more and more like the Razr is the ideal mobile phone for people who are not too mobile. If your data is being handled by WiFi most of the day then the battery drain woun't trouble you.

So with my lack of information ... from what is read here ... don't get one Razr ... get two so you have a spare battery when you need it.

... Thom

Upvote 0
I can't alwasy tell when you're joking.

It is sounding more and more like the Razr is the ideal mobile phone for people who are not too mobile. If your data is being handled by WiFi most of the day then the battery drain woun't trouble you.

So with my lack of information ... from what is read here ... don't get one Razr ... get two so you have a spare battery when you need it.

... Thom
isn't it possible a new 4G chip won't draw as much power as the previous 4G phone?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones