RUMOR: G1 users getting N1 upgrade?

Last Updated:

1. alamoe

alamoe Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I just saw a tweet by @AndroidGuys that said: RUMOR: "Per T-Mobile retail in DC, G1 users will be able to upgrade to the Nexus One tomorrow, without waiting on contract to expire."
    If its true how sweet would that be?!?

Advertisement
  2. johnkzin

johnkzin Well-Known Member

Not sweet at all.

The N1 has no physical keyboard. It is not a worthy successor to the G1.

Give me a 5 row physical qwerty keyboard, or you'll have to pry by G1 from my cold dead fingers.

3. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

I don't think it would be a bad deal at all. I couldn't care less about a keyboard, actually prefer not to have one. You could buy the Nexus One and then sell your G1 and make profit. If I still had my G1, that is what I would do.

4. Drew1204

Drew1204 Well-Known Member

Learn to type with an onscreen keyboard. Eventually the stupid keyboards will slowly be phased out... onscreen keyboards are really really good these days...I dont have small hands either

5. johnkzin

I do type with the on screen/virtual keyboard. Semi-often (any time I've only got one hand to work with, due to holding groceries or something).

On screen keyboard suck a**. Until we have screens that deform to shape actual key caps, that depress with key presses and give a feel for actual edges of key ranges, they will always suck more than physical keyboards. The only hope for them, as speed alternatives to physical keyboards, is the swype technology.

But even then, the other major drawback for virtual keyboards compared to physical keyboards is: screen real estate. On a pocketable device, there is a MAJOR impact to using a virtual keyboard. 50-100% of the screen becomes obscured by the keyboard, meaning that anything that uses that text input INTERACTIVELY is not usable. Two of my very small number of installed applications are, in fact, based around interactive text input (ConnectBot and VNC). Virtual keyboards are intollerable with those apps.

So, no, I will not "learn to use a virtual keyboard". I will, instead, correctly demand devices that fit my use cases, and stick to the devices that fit my use cases. Ignoring my needs, and modifying my use cases to fit the devices, is the path of sheep. If that's the kind of person I was, I'd have gotten an iPhone the year it came out.

If the G1 dies in "end of life" before it has a worthy successor, I'll just get an N900 (or its successor) at that point.

6. BiGMERF

BiGMERF Well-Known Member

i agree i think slide out keyboards will alo be phased out over time

7. johnkzin

I definitely agree with that. But not until something better comes along.

That "better" doesn't exist yet.

8. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

Yeah I think they are going that way too, but I think it is going to be a while.

9. nateo200

nateo200 Well-Known Member

On screen keyboards are 30x better provided it isn't slow and delayed like the droids is. The iphone keyboard for example is so smooth and it saves space. Physical keyboards IMO are lame now and the G1 blows chunks compared the newer android phones.

10. johnkzin

I may hate the Android virtual keyboard, but the iPhones isn't even worth defending. It's AWFUL. The Android virtual keyboard is miles ahead. Yet, still insufficient.

11. smitty24

smitty24 Well-Known Member

The N1 also has speech2text which is surprisingly accurate as long as you are reasonable with your wanted input (i.e. slang, slurs, etc..).