run adb shell and get $ instead of error

Last Updated:

1. Big20x

Big20x Member This Topic's Starter

Hey there....I am lost. I have followed the steps on the video and have even altered the USB file as others have suggested. When i run adb shell in the command prompt I do not get an daemon error it actually starts and a $ prompt shows up, now of course anything I do beyond that is met with a permission denied error. Any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. paimon.soror

paimon.soror Well-Known Member

If your phone is booted normally and you type in adb shell, you will get the "$". Daemon error is only thrown when the adb has not been initialized, and it needs to restart the debugging daemon, this is usually done once per Windows session.

The goal here is to get the "adb shell" command to throw an error message (not "device not found") when in recovery mode.

3. Big20x

FINALLY I got root...just kept pulling and pushing the sd card while running the adb shell loop. I was using the sd card that came with the incredible.

4. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

good job man... all about timming

5. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

Were you booting to recovery or just sitting there clicking the card out and in?

6. Big20x

Was in recovery and was just clicking the sd card in and out

.to be honest I wasn't even paying attention just clicking and looked down aand seen the error

7. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

LOL That's probably the way it will happen with me except I'll notice it right as I'm pulling the battery out to try again.

So you were in the screen with the computer and the symbol that indicates it's not connected to the PC or before you hit power for recovery?

8. Big20x

I booted the phone in recovery and then did the loop command in the cmd window. Let that run for a good bit, with no result. Then decided WTH and started removing and replacing my SD card. did that about 10 times and when I looked down there it was. Thought to myself About Damn Time.

9. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

So basically you were past all the points where must would have already pulled the battery and started again? Interesting.

10. Big20x

yup

11. Piiman

Piiman Well-Known Member

That is interesting. I wish I had access to the code to see what actually goes on during the recovery.

Thanks again

12. Dahg

Dahg Well-Known Member

Just thought I would add my 2 cents for all those getting permission denied after entering adb shell and su..getting.$ and not #... maybe this will help someone....

BTW

I was doing this AFTER i successfully rooted and followed the 10 min video

I was trying to update the wireless N and was trying to adb shell and su (and add the commands for wireless N from the wireless N text file)

what I didnt understand was that after being in recovery mode , instead of trying to get into adb shell like the wireless N texfile says..what I should have been doing was following the original ROOT text file that tells you to run:

select the recovery option on the phone
    1.bat
    select the recovery option on the phone
    adb push payload-update.zip /sdcard/update.zip

that line above ... the adb push payload line.... has to be timed...to the second select run of the recovery option on the phone.. it has to be inserted right around when the verifying the update line shows on the phone... then it will execute the "new" hacked payload on the phone if timed right.....

and THEN

you can

adb shell
    su

and get the holy grail #

hope that helps someone.... it took me a while to get it... but now I can hit it everytime.....:D

thanks to all that helped with getting this progress this far!