• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Run app as Root?

jage

Mar 29, 2011
Just noob sort of questions, rooted with BACKside using cyanogen mod.

How do I tell if an app is using root?
Is it possible for an app to have some root-necessary features but not ask for access?
If so how (where) do I say "run this as root"

I don't have a lot of root-only apps, but nothing has asked for root access lately. Is there a way to check if I set something like "everybody gets root!"?

Is there a root guide that isn't about doing the rooting (e.g. the all things root) but using a rooted phone once it's done?

hi,
Root is though similar to giving Admin privileges, but its the Linux way ( way better :p than Windows )

If you have rooted successfully ,
The apps which need root to run will ask themselves :)

Every app already has Root is not a question that matters ;)
If a developer wants his app to run as root,
the Super user App will ask ur permissions automatically :)

Cheers :)

Upvote 0
So I have an app, ShootMe 0.8.1 that I installed with the apk. Everything I read says root is necessary for the screengrab (or videograb) to work. Specifically for this application and others, rooted phone required. So the application requires root access right?

It should ask for root permission, right?

It should then be in the SuperUser app, right?

None of these things- it does work partially without requesting root access (just not the video part). It does say it might work without root, but my phone is rooted so I don't understand why it's not asking for root user.

Unfortunately the developer pulled the app, so I doubt he's supporting it. My other thread here: http://androidforums.com/optimus-v-all-things-root/522386-screen-video-recorder.html

not trying to duplicate threads, but only address the "run-as-root" issue here.

Upvote 0
Just noob sort of questions, rooted with BACKside using cyanogen mod.

How do I tell if an app is using root?
Is it possible for an app to have some root-necessary features but not ask for access?
If so how (where) do I say "run this as root"

I don't have a lot of root-only apps, but nothing has asked for root access lately. Is there a way to check if I set something like "everybody gets root!"?

Is there a root guide that isn't about doing the rooting (e.g. the all things root) but using a rooted phone once it's done?

Also, be very careful when you run an app as root. In the linux/unix world, letting any app run as root lets the app do w/e it wants. Letting any app run as root is handing your phone to the app, so think before you allow it!

Reactions: AndyOpie150
Upvote 0
If the app's code calls su, then SuperUser will automatically check it's whitelist. If the app is already listed, it proceeds. If it isn't listed, it asks if you want to grant it permissions, and the checkbox allows it to be added to the whitelist.

If the app in question never runs the portion of the code that uses su, then you'll never see SuperUser popup. Some apps request root right away, others only when necessary (the better way IMHO). ;)

Upvote 0
So I have an app, ShootMe 0.8.1 that I installed with the apk. Everything I read says root is necessary for the screengrab (or videograb) to work. Specifically for this application and others, rooted phone required. So the application requires root access right?
On some mobiles, IIRC the Optimus V did not. I think I had Shoot Me installed prior to rooting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones