running applications how do you stop themSupport

Last Updated:

1. aderuk

aderuk Active Member This Topic's Starter

Ok this has onlt just started happening on my x10 2.1.
    i have adv killer pro running which works great ,but now if i go settings > applications>running apps there are a whole host of things running timescape etc maybe 10 things running that drains the battery how comes adv killer pro is not turning these off.Should i reload adv killer pro as i am know on 2.1 as have not updated it since i upgraded.

Advertisement
  2. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

The general advice that I have seen around the place is that you don't need to use a Task Killer at all with 2.1, the phone takes care of itself. Whilst the apps are running they are not necessarily doing anything other than sitting in the background. If you kill them with a task killer and they are programmed to start when the phone is awake, they will just start back up thus using up more CPU and battery in doing so rather than just ticking away by themselves.

3. aderuk

thanks will akp off and see if it makes a difference.normally get around 2 days out of battery but yesterday for some reason it drained in about 16 hours.
    So it does not drain the battery have timescape,clock,gtalk etc running in the background

4. Merolas

Merolas Well-Known Member

What i've heard is that sometimes some apps you start need part of code from other apps that will start and run in the background, once finished the app will exit by itself. An exemple if i use Handcent SMS (messenger app) It will make the stock messenging app start also. If you use Mediascape or even the phonebook, TimeScape will start even though you don't need it at all (i didn't even set it up), but part of the code of either apps reside in the timescape app and thus make it run even if you didn't ask it to.

5. rosered

rosered VIP Member VIP Member

I charge my phone nightly so I am getting worse usage than you on the face of it, but I don't kill anything just let it run. I guess the best thing to do is try it for a couple of days and if it doesn't work for you and your usage then I guess the answer is to kill.

Come back and let us know your results tho, I am interested to see how it goes.

6. charlyee

charlyee Well-Known Member

I stop Timescape and GTalk and have not noticed any effects on other programs. They do startup again after a power cycle but otherwise not.

It maybe a placebo effect but it appears to be extending my battery charge.

7. Eddie_Brock

Eddie_Brock Well-Known Member

The most effective way to actually 'close' an app, is to use the Back key to exit out, instead of hitting the Home button.

Most apps close when you've hit the back button enough times, where if you hit Home, it will run in the background until its been inactive for so long, or resources are needed elsewhere.

8. D3sRtH4mmR

D3sRtH4mmR Well-Known Member

I've found that some apps like Skype will remain in the running apps list even when I sign out. Problem is that it constantly tries to poll wifi or data running the battery down. I used to have the battery full and wake up with 68%.

I've started stopping it from within running applications and it solved the battery drainage issue.
    I don't use task killers because Android runs differently to a PC.
    I've also uninstalled Timescape and several other built in apps and the phone works perfectly.

9. Smoked

Smoked Well-Known Member

A nice fix for that is Startup Auditor. I have the free version which lets' me prevent 5 things from running. I have timescape, gtalk, face recognition and a few others. You can stop them from loading and/or keep them disabled.

10. aderuk

Thanks will have a look for it.I unistalled tkp which i had on 1.6 and had the same tkp on 2.1 and downloaded again ,now the phone is running as it was before.
    But can you actually disable timescape and gtalk on 2.1 if so how ?

11. Smokey_Barr

Smokey_Barr Well-Known Member

I've found WiFi, the GPS assist thingy and screen brightness are the main culprits for battery drainage. I only turn these on as and when I need them, and have the screen brightness at about 45-50%. I get about a day and a half out of my battery. I’d be interested in finding out how to disable timescape though.

I'm not sold on task killers. I'm pretty sure Sony would have taken into account how many apps customers would download on average, and design a phone to cope with a number of these running at any time. Having said that, I upgraded to 2.1 following their instructions to the letter and lost all my contacts, so maybe I'm giving them too much credit.....