• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Running apps off SD Card

Narpstar

Lurker
Aug 28, 2013
Hi guys,

I'm a new Android user. Just switched from iPhone to Android with a cheap phone with limited internal storage. I'm baffled. I installed six apps and it told me I've run out of space on my phone storage. So I bought an SD card to put the apps onto it, but discovered this is not possible.

I've read things around the traps about rooting the device and expanding the internal storage to the SD card, but this seems INSANE. What's more - my internal storage is divided and could POTENTIALLY allow more apps to be installed, but the extra 2gb is allocated to media storage and the like. So I have 500 mb, most of which is already taken up by preinstalled apps, to play with.

I thought Apple were supposed to be restrictive, but I switch to Android and find I can't move apps to the external storage?!

My question is: is there something I'm missing here, and there's a simple solution to my problem? SURELY there is.

Cheers,
Ben

Welcome to AF Ben! :)

The process is dependant on phone and OS version, what's yours?

Normally, you can move part of the app to the SD Card with Settings- > Apps -> All -> App Name -> Move to SD Card. There may be a more detailed process for your handset though. If the handset is still running Gingerbread, something like this might work.

I wouldn't say it's an Android issue per s

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones