• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help running as smooth as iphone..?

My biggest thing is that I'd love for my htc magic to just run as clean and as smooth as the iphone...i will risk rooting my phone if needed but there are so many options out there that even the noob/beginner manuals can be confusing...

I just want all the crappy crashes, force quits, and the biggest thing looooooooooooonnnnggg waits between apps to stop..

What do you guys suggest I do? In fact if you suggest rooting, what is the best rom to have to allow me to accomplish the aforementioned task?

The speed of a phone after rooting will only change if you install a custom ROM, just rooting a phone doesn't change the software.

Often Android systems slow down because of the multitasking, so if you have loads of apps running in the background consider uninstalling some to speed things up. I use taskiller to kill background apps when I notice a slow down.

Some custom ROMs are faster than others, generally to be fast they cut out anything that slows you down, e.g. eye-candy such as fancy animations.

The biggest increase in speed I found was when I started using Android 2.1 based ROMs, they are much smoother than 1.6 ROMs. If you've not rooted your phone before I'd advise checking out the cyanogenmod ROM website. This ROM is probably the best supported custom ROM out there.

Upvote 0
The speed of a phone after rooting will only change if you install a custom ROM, just rooting a phone doesn't change the software.

Often Android systems slow down because of the multitasking, so if you have loads of apps running in the background consider uninstalling some to speed things up. I use taskiller to kill background apps when I notice a slow down.

Some custom ROMs are faster than others, generally to be fast they cut out anything that slows you down, e.g. eye-candy such as fancy animations.

The biggest increase in speed I found was when I started using Android 2.1 based ROMs, they are much smoother than 1.6 ROMs. If you've not rooted your phone before I'd advise checking out the cyanogenmod ROM website. This ROM is probably the best supported custom ROM out there.

Yep I will try out the cynogen mod probably tomorrow I guess. But I know about task killer and such and that just still doesn't do anything for speeding up the phone ultimately. I use handcent for text messaging, and you literally have to wait close to 20 seconds, more often than not, to switch from that app to the home screen.

I will give rooting a try though. Any link you guys can offer that breaks everything down?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones