Running Out of Memory? Newb Seeking HelpSupport

Last Updated:

1. zadillo

zadillo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help me out. I'm pretty new to Android, and currently trying to get acclimated to my new EVO. Lately I've found that the phone is becoming quite sluggish, and I'm worried it's because it is running out of memory. I found that a couple of apps I liked, such as myPod, were potentially taking up memory.

Essentially, when I go to Running Services, it will say something like:

Avail: 113MB+0MB in 38 Other: 0 in 4

If I close one running service, then it changes to:

Avail: 113MB+165MB in 38 Other: 62MB in 4

But to be honest, I'm not sure what to make of this, or if this is even the problem. I don't know that it's just myPod, as even after uninstalling that, I find that if I spend some time web browsing and then go back, the memory stuff under Running Services will be close to 0 again, but if I close some other service (say, Sprint Zone), it becomes available again.

Again, I'm new to Android so not sure what to make of all of this. I have installed maybe a dozen or two dozen apps, but I wouldn't think that would be a big problem.

The reason I'm noticing this as a problem now is, as I said, that the phone seems to be becoming sluggish, and lately I've found that the default Internet browser is sometimes stopping responding altogether.... like even trying to go to google.com it will just stay stuck like it is never loading.

Does anyone have any advice for me? I'm not currently using ATK (one of the early bits of guidance I got was to not use a task killer despite the recommendations from the guy at the sprint store to do so).

I just want to keep things running smooth and normal.

And just to bring this up again, I just went back home, and then opened up Running services again and now it says:

Avail: 110MB+0.00B in 38 Other: 0.00B in 4

Is this normal or is there something wrong?

I have to say apps are a pretty big thing for me... I've been happy to find apps like ACV, DoubleTwist, RadioTime, myPod, etc. that do what I want and seem to work well. I'm just trying to make sure I get the most out of Android and can have it running smoothly and the right way. Ideally I want to figure this out before the 30-day risk free return policy runs out.

Thanks!

-Zadillo

Advertisement