• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Running Services??? Help please!

xraychick01

Nov 8, 2010
I just got my phone last night. I was playing around with and when I go to Settings>Applications there is something that says "Running Services." When I select that there are apps or something "running." What are these and why are they "running?" I'm on wifi at home but when I'm out and about and not on wifi are these things using data from my data plan? Do they need to be running all the time? I'm obviously new to this kind of phone so any help will be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks!

I wouldn't be concerned. It is normal to have services running in the background. A couple of things that I have done, and would recommend: Download an app like 3g Watchdog, it's free and it will keep tabs on your 3g usage. Also add the "mobile" widget to one of your home screens, it allows you to turn off/on your 3g service with one click. (long press home screen -> widget -> settings -> mobile network)

Reactions: theandies
Upvote 0
I wouldn't be concerned. It is normal to have services running in the background. A couple of things that I have done, and would recommend: Download an app like 3g Watchdog, it's free and it will keep tabs on your 3g usage. Also add the "mobile" widget to one of your home screens, it allows you to turn off/on your 3g service with one click. (long press home screen -> widget -> settings -> mobile network)
I actually just downloaded the 3g Watchdog. It's certainly a great app! I will add the widget to my home screen...thank you!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones