Running Stock Android 2.0

Last Updated:

1. stratus

stratus New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi there forum. I am looking at getting the behold 2. I really like the form factor and screen. What I don't like, is how sluggish it seems to be. From what I have heard, this is due to the fact that samsung has totally messed up the UI with that damn useless cube and other things.

Can this phone be wiped and then install a stock android 1.5, 1.6 or even 2.0? I am going to get it anyway regardless because I am still stuck in the dumb phone world, and can't even come close to upgrading. I'd wait for the nexus one, but without an upgrade I won't be able to afford it. SO I will stick with this one for a while.

Advertisement
  2. yatimameiji

yatimameiji Well-Known Member

Until an update is released this phone is stuck at 1.5, but yes an update is in the works. Just a waiting game.

As for the stock look, its there hidden under the TouchWiz ui. Try a home replacement like Panda Home or others(Not an endorsement for Panda, just happens to be the one I can remember at the moment). But I'd say give the phone a try, its my first android phone so I guess I'm not poisoned against TouchWiz, and I happen to like it. Though yes the cube is a bit gimmicky. I dont use it in my daily use, but do when I show the phone off.

Oh and yes the screen is gorgeous.

3. stratus

I had such a suspicion. Oh well. Thanks for the tip on the UI skin, I'll give that a shot when I get the phone.

4. culo77

culo77 Well-Known Member

PandaHome, OpenHome, GDE seem to be the more popular.
    Panda Is free

these homes are just a overlay and touch wiz will always be working in the background.

I stuck with the touchwiz and have learned to use advance taskkiller when my phone gets sluggish after 2 days of use.

I am one that uses the cube too. (dont laugh i do) i use it as a shortcut to youtube and the media player.

5. shawn1224

shawn1224 Ex CEO-DNPSEA foundation VIP Member

If I could just take that cube thing out back and shoot it with a 12 gauge, everything in life would be on track. Coming from the original Behold I was all to familiar with Samsung's gimmickry so I can't say I'm surprised. One thing I have noticed is that my phone runs much faster with Open Home and a ton of widgets running than it does with Touchwiz and hardly anything loaded on the desktop. It must really be a resource hog to consume that much memory.

. ... But the phone was free so I guess beggars really can't be choosers.

6. psychoace

psychoace Well-Known Member

I don't know why people are saying it's slow. I have a hacked G1 with swap and a2sd and the behold 2 at 1.5 is slightly faster then the g1 at 1.6 or 2.0. When this gets 2.0 it should really speed along. The UI is not hidering it to much but the old 1.5 framework is. It's still quick though.

7. stratus

Well thanks guys. That's definitely some help and if not some hope for this phone.

I would totally just hold out for the nexus one, but since I cannot upgrade or get a new plan, I will have buy it retail, which will no doubt be well beyond my budget. This phone fits my budget and seems like it should last me a few years before I will need to upgrade and get what I really want. An iphone quality experience without the hassle of AT&T. Nexus one say though art' so!

8. culo77

culo77 Well-Known Member

I too think the behold is way faster than the mytouch, I had the mytouch for about a week and couldnt take the sloooooowwwwwness of it. with the mytouchmyself if was in an app and needed to make a quick call just to get to the dialer took the amount of time the call would have taken.
    with the behold BAM i am right at the dialer with the touch of a green button.

The behold after 2-3 days will show signs of lag (little cache clear and task killer its gone) but the lag is better than the mytouch after 10 minutes of use.

I think the behold can be a great phone, just lately the "issues" have been hitting my nerves.
    We need a update to correct them, or if android 2.0 will correct them that would be sweat too :)

9. samson_420

samson_420 Well-Known Member

This phone is pretty decent really. I just complain about everything. . . .lol

It's not as smooth functioning as my 2g iPhone. But, the internet on my Behold 2 makes my iPhone look like a joke even just running edge it is about 35% faster.

As far as comparing this phone to the MyTouch. . . .I can not even use a MyTouch, for god sakes your text lags while typing. I gave my MyTouch to my girl since I got it way cheap.

The one big thing I miss from iPhone to the Samsung is the larger screen.

Damn tMobile, I wish you could use other over seas phones and be able to get 3G.

There are so many awesome foreign phones.

10. defiantbeast

defiantbeast Well-Known Member

I have the google ion/Android developers phone2, and even running the custom 1.6 developers rom which is slightly faster than the mytouch its still much slower than my behold2 and ive performed several test on both at the same time to check.