• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Running white noise app all night long?

EdNerd

Feb 2, 2011
I wanted a "white noise" machine to help me sleep at night. Couldn't find one locally, so I punched it into Google. Lo and behold, there was a noise app for only 99 cents! Much better than paying for product plus shipping. :D

The app - SimplyNoise - works great. But can anyone see a downside to keeping the phone plugged in and operating all night to run this app? I'm going to use external speakers to save the phone speaker.

Ed

I don't use Simply Noise any more. I found one I liked much better. It's called Relax and Sleep. It's a very decent app that doesn't require any internet connection and doesn't have ads. Hey - it's a noise app for sleeping - who reads ads when they're alseep??!

It's free to download and use. It also comes with a "plus" shell that adds extra functions (like custom preset profiles, a countdown timer, and losts of other stuff. Still no internet. Only $2.00.

We use it every night.

Upvote 0
Just a little plug for a free white noise solution I've put together. Actually they're just long-playing MP3s and you drop them into your favorite music player.

I composed these myself as a sleep aid when my son was very young. This isn't straight-up nonstop white noise, it's more like ocean waves. Very relaxing. Tuned to mimic breathing and also heartbeats.

Just make a playlist and drop lots of copies of the MP3 on there, let it play.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones