Runs hot - is this normal?

Last Updated:

1. Eurosteve

Eurosteve Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Seems like since 2.1 my Droid runs hot when doing extended surfing or using the car dock. It gets very hot in the car dock (with GPS and navigation running). Combine that with the heat effects of the sun and the Droid gets very hot. Any one else notice this?

Seems like this would be bad for both the Droid and the Droid battery. Normal?

Advertisement
  2. flash24

flash24 Well-Known Member

Are you rooted? Mine has been running hot lately as well, but I was running 1.2ghz so I lowered it back down to 800mb.

3. Eurosteve

Not rooted. Stock Droid.

4. krouget

krouget Well-Known Member

How hot is 'hot'?

I got curious the other day, and installed an app to check. Turns out mine was getting up to 119 degrees F, (not rooted). To-the-touch, this happens fairly often while charging, and performance never suffers (as I've seen with other devices overheating), so I'd assume it was normal under certain conditions.

5. pirahna

pirahna Well-Known Member

My gets very hot if sitting in my pocket for a while. I have Advanced Task Killer installed and nothing other than the basics are running.

6. ZXMustang

ZXMustang Well-Known Member

mine is overclocked to 1000mhz and I was tethering with it last night and I noticed it was super hot. I checked setcpu and it said the CPU temp was 160*. I turned it off quick and let it cool off. Its been fine.

7. nstallion

nstallion Well-Known Member

There are a ton of threads about this: http://androidforums.com/search.php?searchid=1700230

The simple answer is yes it gets pretty hot sometimes and it's fine. The CPU can operate at up to 220F and shouldn't stay at over 160F for long periods of time and the battery itself should not go above 160F.

It's highly unlikely you've ever reached temperatures like this. They are hot enough to cause some serious pain if you touched the phone when it was that hot.

I'm overclocked to 1200mhz and the highest I've ever seen (while using navigation in the dock) was 140F. I think the combination of moving graphics, constant activity on the 3G, constant activity on the GPS and possibly being connected to the charger are what make it so much hotter than normal.

8. CyberPitz

CyberPitz Well-Known Member

Whenever I am playing a resource intensive app *SNES Emulator + A ROM....* it will get rather toasty. I am not worried, because if it was getting too hot, you'd see performance plummet, which it does not.

9. FrayAdjacent

FrayAdjacent Well-Known Member

The processors and components in ANY electronic device use electrical current to function. The side effect of this is heat. The more components there are doing more things, the more heat is dissipated.

Yes, your phone will get warm when you have it in the car dock with the screen on, Maps running, GPS on, etc etc - it's doing more, so it's consuming more power... which results in more heat.

This is entirely normal.

10. Brendanmurphy

Brendanmurphy Well-Known Member

I notice that the ambient temperature has an extreme effect on the temp. The phone was running at 37c doing nothing. It was 33c ambient temp. Also at default clocks. Overclocked it was 2 - 4 c higher

11. Eurosteve

Well, mine gets very very hot while in the car dock. I guess I could just ignore this and if it melts down get it replaced under warranty... I noticed that even while plugged in while in the car dock, the charge was dropping. I unplugged and turned off the GPS and navigation when the charged dropped to 50% and the phone was very hot to the touch.

What app can I run with a non-rooted phone to getting a temperature reading??

12. leftystrat

leftystrat Well-Known Member

The bottom of mine gets very hot when I have it plugged into the lighter in the car and running streaming or other audio. Don't think it does just charging.

Doesn't seem like it should be that hot but there are no ill effects.

13. MicroNix

MicroNix Well-Known Member

Mine did get very warm using GPS when it was stock. I rooted and OC'd to 1Ghz and it was getting hot even when not doing all that much intensive stuff. Lowered it to 600Mhz and found that all the speed and snappiness that I had at 1Ghz is still there at 600Mhz and it runs much cooler. A win win. Pete's rom must be just that good :)

14. Eurosteve

What app can I run with a non-rooted Droid to getting a temperature reading?? Is there such a thing?

15. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

TempMonitor Lite makes no mention of having to be rooted. :confused: I'm not sure. I also found "System Info Widget" which appears to monitor the temp as well.

The only time my DROID gets really hot is when I forget to turn off the GPS receiver and I move indoors where a satellite can't be found. Maybe it's just the DROID getting ticked off at me. :D

16. Eurosteve

TempMonitor Lite seems to be working okay on my stock Droid to check battery temperature. I think the paid version has CPU temperature.

17. starnesc

starnesc Member

18. brnr17

brnr17 Well-Known Member

i use "batterylife" from the market. gives you the: battery output, battery temp, battery charge and a few other options.