• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rupert Murdoch fit to run a company?

Maybe not; Ed Pilkington considers whether the Murdoch scandal will spread to American shores - Countdown with Keith Olbermann // Current TV

" ... It goes to the idea of bribery and corruption which the American law — the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act — is all there to design — to stop, and it brings the crisis home to America in a very serious way, and that's when the company's going to get really worried. You know, the British newspapers are peanuts, let's be honest. They're less than one percent of the financial interest of News Corporation. What matters here is the TV operations and the operation in America itself. FCPA is a real threat to that. ..."

Upvote 0
The biggest case I can make against the current state of Fox (it's news networks) in the U.S. is that it ACTIVELY leans to the other side. Even if it is justified in trying to be "fair and balanced", the fact that it actively seeks out a certain agenda is something I find counter-intuitive to the whole premise of news reporting. Journalism should be a tool for shining the light of truth and justice on a topic, not lighting the topic in favorable or unfavorable light to justify one's political affiliation.

To me it's like lying in bed at night, hearing someone in the other room, so you grab a flashlight. Once you get into the room, you shine the light and it's a cat burglar. Now if your flashlight was some sort of disco-light party flashlight, you shine it at the cat burglar, no wait that's not a cat burglar, it's just a guy having fun under the disco lights!

I do hope this completely de-legitimizes Fox news as an organization, but I also hope that it serves as a lesson for all the other media outlets that try to sensationalize news or manipulate the news. Whatever happened to just reporting the facts on a story and letting the audience decide for themselves? Does that even happen anymore?

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
The biggest case I can make against the current state of Fox (it's news networks) in the U.S. is that it ACTIVELY leans to the other side. Even if it is justified in trying to be "fair and balanced", the fact that it actively seeks out a certain agenda is something I find counter-intuitive to the whole premise of news reporting.
Whatever happened to just reporting the facts on a story and letting the audience decide for themselves? Does that even happen anymore?

Did it ever happen, even before the existence of Fox News?
Measuring the Slant

Upvote 0
Media

"There is no such thing as an objective point of view.

No matter how much we may try to ignore it, human communication always takes place in a context, through a medium, and among individuals and groups who are situated historically, politically, economically, and socially. This state of affairs is neither bad nor good. It simply is. Bias is a small word that identifies the collective influences of the entire context of a message."

Support for liberal bias: Accuracy In Media

Support for conservative bias: Fairness & Accuracy In Reporting (FAIR)

Upvote 0
Media

"There is no such thing as an objective point of view.

No matter how much we may try to ignore it, human communication always takes place in a context, through a medium, and among individuals and groups who are situated historically, politically, economically, and socially. This state of affairs is neither bad nor good. It simply is. Bias is a small word that identifies the collective influences of the entire context of a message."

I generally agree with that. The problem in my mind is that there are still news organizations clinging to the fiction that they are unbiased and have no particular slant.

Someone in an article I read a while ago suggested that like financial writers who disclose what stocks they own, reporters reporting on politics should disclose whom they've voted for in the past. I don't think that's a bad idea even if the reporter is convinced that their personal politics in no way biases their writing.

Upvote 0
"LONDON, Mar. 8, 2012 (Reuters) — British satellite broadcaster BSkyB, part of Rupert Murdoch's UK media business, is facing an escalating investigation into whether it is a "fit and proper" owner of a broadcasting licence, Britain's telecoms regulator said on Thursday."

NewsDaily: Murdoch faces investigation over BSkyB ownership

The beginning of the end to Fox news ?

Upvote 0
A News Corp subsidiary NDS that makes the viewing cards have been engaging in dirty tricks campaigns to destroy any opposition. They cracked the ONDigital/ITV Digital encryption in the UK and that company went to the wall.

Story here.

To be fair it wasn't the only reason the company collapsed but it was a major factor.

It turns out today that they have been doing the same thing in Australia.

Upvote 0
“The investigator said the *journalists seemed particularly interested in getting the phone records belonging to the British victims of the attacks.”"

Probably due to the fact that some of the British officials were on the take.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Faux News is an illegitimate resource for news. I used to watch the local affiliate here, but realized that they were obviously showing the worst of the worst (like a local version of TMZ with everyday people). I've since stopped contributing to the network's viewership. I'm at least 1 year Faux-free. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones