RUU error 170 & 171 solution for Windows 7

1. Vinsanity93

Vinsanity93 Well-Known Member

Ok after trying so many times to update I finally found the solution.

Steps:
    1: Install HTC Sync.
    1a: If you already tried the update with it and failed, uninstall and install a program called CCleaner (Google it).
    1b: When installed run CCleaner and go to registry (the blue box on the left).
    1c: Scan for issues and then press Fix selected issues... and fix all of them.
    1d: Reboot computer to be sure problems are fixed.
    1e: Reinstall HTC Sync.

2: Run HTC Sync if it isn't already running.

3: Turn on Dinc and plug it in, then choose HTC Sync on the connections menu that pops up ( The one that says Charge Only, Disk Drive, HTC Sync, and Mobile Broadband Connect). If Dinc says it can't find HTC Sync that is fine.

4: Run RUU

(This step is, what I think, is the most important.)
    5: Turn off internet connection. Ex: disable or disconnect wifi/wired connections.

6: Follow the steps in the RUU.

Well, this is what worked for me, but your results may vary of course.

Advertisement
  2. emmur0

emmur0 Well-Known Member

Which version of HTC Sync? Where would one find it?
  3. burningembers

burningembers Well-Known Member

Unfortunately...this approach didn't work for me on Win7 x64 and 32-bit. :/

But awesome that it worked for you, the whole Win7 thing was definitely a headache.

I have read/heard using HTC Sync version 2.0.33 is the best. However, two days ago it was available on HTC's site, and as of yesterday the link no longer appears to work.

I also tried HTC Sync 2.0.40 - but it didn't really fly, I don't recommend it.
    Durania and emmur0 like this.
  4. ACD168

ACD168 Well-Known Member

try when you get the error closing the program, and restarting it. don't disconnect the phone or pull the battery or anything.
  5. untitled1

untitled1 Well-Known Member

I had a problem on my Win 7 laptop (a Lenovo that was upgraded from Vista) but it worked fine on my Win 7 HP Pavilion (which was originally XP and then Vista).

As far as I know I did the same exact process on each computer: Synced with HTC Sync and then ran the .exe
  6. Vinsanity93

termenk11 likes this.
  7. untitled1

I did both of these things when I had a problem initially with my laptop because I couldn't get the phone to respond otherwise. I was quite worried that I was in the process of bricking my phone, but it worked out OK.
  8. JuicyJones

JuicyJones Well-Known Member

It was disconnecting from HTC Sync everytime I opened the RUU installer. I just waited about 30 seconds, then I would hit next, wait another 30 seconds, hit next, until it started installing.

I got an error about waiting for hboot or something similar after tgat. And my phone was stuck on a screen with an HTC logo. I kept the phone plugged in, left it on the HTC screen, and ran the RUU again...worked flawlessly. It did take me a minute though.

The update itself only took about 5-10 mins. EDIT: I also used the HTC Sync install file that was on my SD card. Didn't search for anything newer...
  9. load97

load97 Well-Known Member

I just ran the RUU in XP SP3 Compatibility Mode for my W7 HP 64 bit computer and worked right away then. Couldn't get HTC Sync to work that way though. Though I don't use it anyway, just DL it trying to fix the RUU problem.
  10. untitled1

Interesting. Good to know, though, that I did everything wrong conceivable (and knew that I was as I did it) and it still didn't brick the phone.
  11. JuicyJones

JuicyJones Well-Known Member

It did take me a few hours before I finally figured it all out. But lemme know if it works out of you. I'd really like my gold star sticker for the day if my technique works LOL!
  12. Czwakiel

Czwakiel Active Member

It worked...and then it stopped. I got the 170 error while installing the update and my phone was stuck on the HTC screen. I removed the battery and just restarted it. It wasn't updated. :[

I try and run the RUU again and no luck. I'm getting the error. It won't even start updating this time.
  13. Vinsanity93

As in error 170 again? If it is you have to start over from step 1
  14. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

I would also try running as administrator, and someone else mentioned trying to run the RUU under xp compatibility.
  15. Cmdr007

Cmdr007 Member

Yup, same here. Can't figure out what is going wrong.
  16. zedwards

zedwards Member

Have tried all the above and nothing seems to work. I got the update to start and then it froze at the HTC boot screen and lost connection.
  17. zemerick

Did it completely quit out? It seems like when I did it a message popped up about it having lost connection during one of the reboots, but it reconnected and everything continued.
  18. Sisaacs

Sisaacs Well-Known Member

tried all of the above ( cc cleaner, compatability mode, run as admin) no luck- trying again on my husbands vista laptop- will see how that goes
  19. slumpey

slumpey Well-Known Member

there has to be a fix somewhere
  20. yoda715

yoda715 Member

This worked for me! Thanks for the help. Note: I did have to put my RUU file in Win XP SP3 compatibility mode. After that, following all your steps worked!
  21. Sisaacs

My solution was to use Vista- My husband and I have identical laptops ( with the exception of colors). I updated mine to windows 7. He on the other hand was thankfully a chicken and has kept Vista.
    After multiple fails on mine, I tried his and now...............................
    I have frozen yogurt yumminess on my phone :):):)
  22. slumpey

slumpey Well-Known Member

yeah, my pc is windows 7 and tried the exact instructions in the first post on my wife's vista laptop and it work perfectly. I guess this doesnt work with a windows 7 pc.
  23. JWHousley

JWHousley New Member

This worked for me also.... I had to have the phone "recognized" by HTC sync and all worked without a hitch!
  24. zemerick

<sigh> Sorry, but I really hate this. It isn't specifically Windows 7 ( Proof is the fact that I did it with Windows 7, as have others. ) Theres another factor. I currently have no idea what it is, but if I had to guess, I'd say some sort of driver combination is needed. <shrug>
  25. Sisaacs

Who knows- all I know is that my husband and myself have the exact same computer except he has not upgraded from vista yet and I have- It worked on his on my 1st try- not on mine at all. Dunno. Just some unknown.