RUU error 170 & 171 solution for Windows 7Tips

Last Updated:

1. rob316

rob316 Well-Known Member

For anyone with issues with Windows 7 64 bit try this. Download VZACCESS Manager for Windows 7. After you install the VZAccess software, run the setup and let it detect your DINC, VZACCESS Manager will install the correct drivers for the DINC. I use VZACCESS in my Win 7 64 bit machine and it does install all the drivers for the DINC.

VZAccess Manager

Advertisement
  2. Bowen9284

Bowen9284 Well-Known Member

Instructions worked perfectly on WIN 7 64 bit. You're the man.
  3. TXSooner

TXSooner Well-Known Member

Followed your instructions exactly and it worked perfectly. Literally took 4 minutes and it was done.

Thanks!
  4. Cmdr007

Cmdr007 Member

Finally got it this afternoon. Thanks for the instructions!
  5. raidersiowa

raidersiowa New Member

I have tried all of the instructions above and I get past the reboot of the device and it sticks at the HTC screen and after a bit I get the 171 error. If I unplug the usb cable it sets at a white screen that says RUU ...... Has anyone figured this out?
  6. tbdaly

tbdaly Well-Known Member

access manager won't even recognize a device, what am I doing wrong??
  7. juanito157

juanito157 Well-Known Member

I have been trying to runn the RUU on my 64bit windows 7 pc for the last three days, at one point it finally saw my phone, connected and began running the ruu (I was excited) and then about 2 min later it again errored out!! at which point i never was able to get it to connect again!!! I installed HTC Sinc but it made NO Difference, I was so ****ing frustrated!! ...

I downloaded cleaner as yo said, ran a full clean and then a registry clean after uninstalling the HTC Sinc software
    I then re-installed HTC Sinc connected my phone to my pc, ran the RUU and (NO LUCK) ..... IT was getting hopeless for me and I was tired of waiting for the OTA update, not just because I wanted it, but my phone was acting quirky and was totally hoping that Froyo solved some minor issues....I almost gave up but I then re-started my PC, connected my phone, turned off wi-fi on my pc, eneabled USB Debugging, started the RUU and (BOOM) ...everything started to work....FINALLY!!! ..... I am now running Froyo :) So thank you very very much... Your the man !!
    SQurel23 likes this.
  8. TrooperThorn

TrooperThorn Well-Known Member

This worked like a charm, thanks a ton.
  9. bezerk19

bezerk19 Well-Known Member

I couldn't get it to work on Win7 x64, so I ended up trying it in WinXP worked like a charm.
  10. Zozz

Zozz Well-Known Member

After an all day struggle, this worked on the 2nd try.
  11. VigCS

VigCS Member

Stupid question,

Do I just start HTC Sync and let it sit there or do I have to do something with it? If I just set the phone to sync then start up htc sync, then run the RUU I still get the 170 error. (running it in XP3 Compatibility and as administrator)
  12. Filosophic1

Filosophic1 Active Member

Followed your instructions EXACTLY, and it worked perfectly on my Win7 computer! I am now reveling in the yogurty goodness of Froyo. I was having the USB connection problems until I found this post, and followed your directions to the tee. Thanks a bunch for posting this.

13. Vinsanity93

Vinsanity93 Well-Known Member

It's a driver problem you might have to start over.

Yea just let it sit there, you might have to start over as well.
  14. SQurel23

SQurel23 Active Member

This method of turning off wi-fi worked perfectly for me! Thanks!
  15. Havoc

Havoc Active Member

I am sooo tired of wating for VZ to get off their collective As...., so i am going to the RUU. I see some issues with Win 7 x 64, but i havent found anywhere or anyone who has tried to do the RUU with Win 7 x86 Pro.
    I am currently at work and my pc is running Win 7 x86 Pro, anyone here know of any issues?

Thanks in advance
  16. VigCS

VigCS Member

Tried again and it worked great.
  17. tehknics

tehknics Active Member

I was able to get it to work on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-Bit machine w/o too much hassle. I was originally got the 170 error so I followed the guidelines the OP posted and got HTC Sync, version: 2.0.40. I connected my phone via HTC sync and than ran the RUU file w/ admin privelidges and in XP SP3 mode and it worked like a charm. I don't think it took more than 5 minutes either.

Thanks Vinsanity93!

2.2 is just so much more smooth and fluid :D
  18. chaseicole

chaseicole Member

This method worked perfectly for me also, I tried all the other ways even on my old xp laptop to no avail, but this was flawless on my windows 7 machine. Thanks man
  19. JuicyJones

JuicyJones Well-Known Member

That's microsoft for ya, nothing is ever compatible with newer version of Windows. I did get it to work on a friends Windows 7 laptop but it was a pain in the ass. I figured it was probably built for XP, and it looks like I was right.
  20. craighwk

craighwk Well-Known Member

Worked flawless for me. Thanks!
  21. serinety

serinety Active Member

I spent 3 days doing this on my win 7 laptop. The same laptop ive been using to root, flash, adbshell.. etc with. nothing was working. I used this guide perfectly and the best i got was getting to silver HTC screen and then losing sync and getting usb error.

I used my wifes laptop, wich is also running win 7 x64. Since ive never hooked my phone to her laptop before it was "virgin" i installed HTC sync, hooked up my phone. Put phone in HTC sync mode (charge only, mount as disk, etc..) phone said that it could not find HTC sync on my PC.. whatever. I ran the RUU , shut off wifi on the laptop, and 5 min later i had froyo on my phone.

My guess is that its some combination of the wrong drivers or some crap. Most of us have been messing around with our phones, installing drivers here and there to get stuff flashed. If you cant get it to work, and you dont mind doing it. resinstall win 7, then install HTC sync, disconnect from the internet, and then run the RUU.

If you cant reinstall windows (or dont want to.. and who would blame you) Try and use a virgin PC. If thats also not an option.... then wait here for a fix. I might try to fix this on my laptop (the one that wasnt working) and see if I can get a fix going, since I managed to get it working on another pc running the same OS.
  22. AlexNC

AlexNC Well-Known Member

Thanks! Worked like a charm once I read step 5. I was getting the error until I realized I had not turned off my wifi on my PC. Once I turned it off, uninstalled/reinstalled HTC Sync and CCleaned it, everything worked perfectly.

I have Windows 7 32bit
  23. dc1984us

dc1984us Member

Tried for hours last night on a Vista and 7 laptop. Going to use my 7 desktop today, which does not have any HTC software on it whatsoever.
  24. zedwards

zedwards Member

I got an error code 171. And I am STILL trying to do this and still no luck. Don't get it. :mad::mad:
  25. zemerick

zemerick Well-Known Member

OK, lets try to start over fresh.

Go into your control panel, and programs and features. Uninstall anything related to your phone. HTC Sync, My Verizon stuff, whatever you can. Next, back in the control panel, go to device manager and check in there for anything involving your phone ( such as any HTC drivers. BE CAREFUL not to remove anything else in here! )

Now, reboot and run CCleaner. If ccleaner did anything at all, reboot again.

OK, now we need to get you your driver, and lets try something different. Lets start with using the driver from PDAnet ( Download PdaNet )

Make sure the phone is still disconnected before running that. It will tell you when to plug the phone in, so make sure to actually read it.

After that is done, verify your WIFI is off. ( In fact, you could probably put the phone in airplane mode. ) Then run the RUU as administrator in XP compatibility.

If you have a problem, install the 2.0.33 version of HTC Sync which just came back recently and was down before: http://www.htc.com/us/support/droid-incredible-verizon/downloads/

This is the proper HTC Sync for the Inc and the one I used.

Retry the RUU as before.

Finally, if that does not work try installing VZAccess Manager ( VZAccess Manager ) and retry.

<crosses fingers>
    zedwards likes this.