• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

RUU error 170 & 171 solution for Windows 7

Thanks for the quick response and more specific detail. I tried it all and i still get the black htc screen that doesn't go away unless I unplug it and then i get the white "recovery" screen with RUU link (that doesn't do anything) and I have to remove the battery to reboot and get a 171 usb connection error again.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the quick response and more specific detail. I tried it all and i still get the black htc screen that doesn't go away unless I unplug it and then i get the white "recovery" screen with RUU link (that doesn't do anything) and I have to remove the battery to reboot and get a 171 usb connection error again.

Well, I have no idea at this point then. I would say just do the update.zip method and follow with a factory reset.

Manually Update Your Droid Incredible to Android 2.2 (Froyo) | Android Phone Fans

Upvote 0
Just as I was updating to 2.2 using the RUU, my power went out. Now my phone is stuck with a black screen with the HTC logo. The power is back up but I can't get back into the phone. If I unplug the USB the screen changes to the screen showing S-On, the HBoot version, etc and RUU is highlighted in orange. I's been in this state for about 15 minutes. What to do next? a battery pull?

Upvote 0
Dear Fellas,

This is my first ever post in any Forum, didn't go through the rules and regulations but hopefully that's not an offence.. ;)

Firstly for the RUU Error 170 & 171: After trying many different ways I find out this solution which I've tested on different computers with different handsets and it WORKS seamlessly.. You need the Older version of HTC SYNC, I've used the Ver. 2.0.33..
Link: Download HTC Sync 2.0.40 Free - Easily synchronize your HTC Magic, HTC Hero, HTC Tattoo, HTC Legend & HTC Desire - Softpedia

Whichever RUU you use, just make sure it's the best one for your DESIRE, now for the Windows 7 users, you got to turn your UAC or User Account Control off, use the compatibility mode for Vista SP2, turn your Anti-Virus off and connect your phone while HTC SYNC is on. Also make sure you've Debugging mode on and screen sleep off under Settings > Applications > Development > USB DEBUGGING MODE and KEEP DEVICE AWAKE.. One more thing, if you've latest version of HTC SYNC, remove it and rather than cleaning up your registry just create another User (Admin) and it's all set.. For the latest RUU collection you can check the following link:
Index of /shipped/
("DESIRE" section is for the US fellas, for other countries please download "BRAVO" RUU)

DOWNGRADING: You can downgrade any DESIRE with any HBOOT and any SCREEN (AMOLED/SLCD) without putting your DESIRE at jeopardy. It's the simplest, safest and smartest way to downgrade your DESIRE to 2.1 or HBOOT 0.8x, follow the original guide at the following link:
[HOWTO] Downgrade Froyo (2.2) to Stock 2.1 (ANY HBOOT | WIN/LINUX/MAC | ROOT) - xda-developers

(I've downgraded a number of DESIRE(s) without a single error, with HBOOT 0.93x, OS 2.2, SLCD.. Branded DESIRE(s) will need the famous GOLDCARD to flash)

ROOTING: unrEVOked is the only pain-less, grim-less and idiot proof way to ROOT your DESIRE and other ANDROID handsets. It works almost the same way as BLACKRA1N/BLACKSN0W the iPHONE Jailbreaker do. Few clicks are you're DONE.
Link: unrevoked

Cheers..

se7ven

Upvote 0
Hi there. I'm always reading people get the 170 errors. Well, I'm getting a different one I found no where and am not sure what is the reason.

As soon as I run RUU (as admin) it gives me an InstalShield Wizard error. Text is:
"An Eerror (-5001 : 0x80070002) has occured." then it says something about closing all other applications and finishing any other setups. Now I get this error with the RUU 1.31. When I try running the RUU 1.23 - I get a different error:
">setupNew\setup.cpp (140)" and some other stuff. Does anybody have an idea what the hell is wrong there? Seems to me like driver/OS problem, not the actual RUU, but then again - the same happens on 2 different systems with all drivers updated and correctly recognized - including the android ones for bootloader and normal mode.

Any suggestions will be appreciated...

Upvote 0
Okay, I'm about to go crazy!
I've tried everything in this thread, and now I'm able to get to the part where it says "Rebooting to Bootloader" but nothing happens. I want to go back to stock ROM, cause my phone can't start. It's just showing a white screen with the HTC logo. In recovery mode, when trying to recover the backup I made before rooting, it just says "Error while formatting /system". I really don't know what to do.
Sry about my english :)

Upvote 0
Okay, I'm about to go crazy!
I've tried everything in this thread, and now I'm able to get to the part where it says "Rebooting to Bootloader" but nothing happens. I want to go back to stock ROM, cause my phone can't start. It's just showing a white screen with the HTC logo. In recovery mode, when trying to recover the backup I made before rooting, it just says "Error while formatting /system". I really don't know what to do.
Sry about my english :)

Check the "root" sub section there's a thread titled "going to stock 2.2"

You might have better luck then this thread which is almost 2 YEARS old at this point contain s old/bad information.

Upvote 0
Ok after trying so many times to update I finally found the solution.

Steps:
1: Install HTC Sync.
1a: If you already tried the update with it and failed, uninstall and install a program called CCleaner (Google it).
1b: When installed run CCleaner and go to registry (the blue box on the left).
1c: Scan for issues and then press Fix selected issues... and fix all of them.
1d: Reboot computer to be sure problems are fixed.
1e: Reinstall HTC Sync.

2: Run HTC Sync if it isn't already running.

3: Turn on Dinc and plug it in, then choose HTC Sync on the connections menu that pops up ( The one that says Charge Only, Disk Drive, HTC Sync, and Mobile Broadband Connect). If Dinc says it can't find HTC Sync that is fine.

4: Run RUU

(This step is, what I think, is the most important.)
5: Turn off internet connection. Ex: disable or disconnect wifi/wired connections.

6: Follow the steps in the RUU.

Well, this is what worked for me, but your results may vary of course.

This works to get to the "Sending......................" part at the beginning, but after that it stops and gives me an Error 140 (Bootloader Version Error).
How do i fix this??

Upvote 0

Steps:
1a: If you already tried the update with it and failed, uninstall and install a program called CCleaner (Google it).

3: Turn on Dinc and plug it in, then choose HTC Sync on the connections menu that pops up ( The one that says Charge Only, Disk Drive, HTC Sync, and Mobile Broadband Connect). If Dinc says it can't find HTC Sync that is fine.

5: Turn off internet connection. Ex: disable or disconnect wifi/wired connections.

This worked perfectly for me. I did not restart my computer but otherwise every step was followed and results were spectacular. Thanks again!

Upvote 0
Okay just created a profile for letting you know i had the same problem.

I upgraded my HTC Desire to a Android 2.3.3 an wanted to go back but got the same error.

I found the RUU Bravo but got the error mentioned above.
I started the RUU from htc that i used to update went to
C:\Users\spawn\AppData\Local\Temp
and copied the temp folder just made aka the installers extracted files.
(mine was like: {D9368F45-A5A5-40AB-9FFF-4B0B0ADF2DEE} )
did the same to the one that didnt work. in that folders one and only subfolder you find a file called rom.zip copy that into the new one (the newest RUU installer) instead of the existing rom. and run ARUWizard.exe in the same folder as the rom.zip

this worked for me

Upvote 0

Steps:

Hi,
after downloading and installing THE cc cleaner, HTC sync now is not recognized on the PC

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones