RUUMR2 downgrade not possibleGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Mr.Slave

Mr.Slave Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

You cannot downgrade to 1.5 using the MR2 RUU from personal communications. Wrong Bootloader.

Advertisement
    Slugdoc and thetomlin2 like this.
  2. Slugdoc

Slugdoc Well-Known Member

sigh.

3. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

Thanks for the info ...I am waiting for OTA

4. Mr.Slave

FYI I did go through and run the RUU I am not making speculations.

Yes the RUU is a full version of 1.5 because it wipes your phone and puts a new version of 1.5 on it. If it didn't wipe your phone I would question it but the RUU would not take your firmware off your phone reconfigure it then reload it. It will take it off and replace it less chance of a screwup.

5. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

This is EXACTLY why I am not doing the update yet.

A quote from Simpsons: (Homer?) asks Marge, Do you want it done fast, or do you want it done right? Marge: Like any American, fast!

I'd rather have it done right, rather than done fast.

If they really have ROOT figured out with the 2.1 stuff (which they wouldn't release, until the official one comes out, so htc/verizon doesn't patch it), then this won't matter anyway. I'm hopeful for this.

But being safe, not sorry. Don't want to be stuck with a not-upgradeable, not-downgradeable 2.1 installation

6. smacky

smacky Banned

I think with a root, it will all be irrelevant.

7. Mr.Slave

Once we get root we will be able to change the bootloader and then downgrade. That is one of the ways it can be worked around.

8. Mr.Slave

Just pointed out on XDA by SickBox: We should be able to download the RUU for 2.1 just like we are able to do with the Ruu for 1.5. We will then have the Verizon approved 2.1.

9. pkopalek

pkopalek Well-Known Member

*Should

10. Droid.eris

Droid.eris Well-Known Member

So does that mean that i am stuck on 2.1 i have to send my phone back to VZW and this is gonna look suspicious when they open the box and repair it

Ohh and dont they have a image like with 2.1 that we can download and run without RUU

11. Mr.Slave

Thank you for reading....most would take that as fact! :D

12. Droid.eris

Okay there is a guy on another for saying that it will work and i got to the reboot part but it just loaded back up to 2.1??? is this HTC and Googles way of sayin you shouldnt have peaked :sad:

13. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Well-Known Member

a manual upgrade to 2.1 will come out, and sent to partners... so not to worry. I'm testing 2.1 now, as soon as im done, i'll be putting 1.5 back on... i'll figure it out one way or another. =-)

14. davbak

davbak Well-Known Member

Do share if you figure it out.

15. Ty07allstar

Ty07allstar Well-Known Member

I'm going to do the same thing. Post when you do it and how to do it.

16. Droid.eris

Okay but idk ive tried everything i cant find a image and when i boot to the hboot it doesnt give the option everything looks so weird to me all it says is clear storage... SMH if somebody finds away please post asap with a link or instructions

17. karib

karib Well-Known Member

+1

18. L0stS0ul

L0stS0ul Well-Known Member

OP is right. I just checked it with mine as well and looks like with 2.1 they update the bootloader and you can no longer go back to 1.5.

19. Mr.Slave

O.K. I just pulled the Rom.zip from the MR2 update on PCD and renamed it to PM00IMG.zip and the bootloader will not let it downgrade. we need to put a new bootloader on via root. So if you just want to try it out then go back....well you can't! If you are willing to have faith that we will find a way to get the official OTA to you then hop on its a much smoother ride.

20. Mr.Slave

BTW, this is where the SPL comes in and why you will always need to install a new one if you intend to use root. SPL=Second Program Loader, So factory SPL will only allow factory programs (android OS) and a modified SPL will allow any cooked rom to be loaded as long as the SPL is setup to no check for signatures. Then you get into the radio version and that is why you cannot load different roms from different phones just because you have root.

21. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Well-Known Member

I beg to differ... I'm flashing 1.5 MR2 as we type..... i'm recording a flash video... and its seems to be about half way done... unless it fails... lol. we'll see in about 9 mins.

sad part is im only doing it to see if I can go back.. then i'll just be flashing RIGHT back to 2.1.... until the official OTA ROM comes out... and then i'll see what happens thing.

I feel like a yo-yo

-----------------
    ok MR2 manual PC downgrade (upgrade to 1.5) does NOT work. hmm... now the hunt begins...

On the plus side, my wife's Eris will stay on 1.5 until the OTA comes out... so i'll cancel her update, and manually catch it via a link (as previously posted), this should give use the installer we need to manually install the official 2.1 hehe, thats assuming the OTA doesn't work on this leaked 2.1..... tick, tock.... now we wait.

dyrut likes this.
  22. Mr.Slave

It will fail> Sorry I already went through this on XDA.

23. thenestor

thenestor Well-Known Member

I read on XDA that it's impossible using the RUU, especially the MR2 RUU, but it might be possible using a file that's extracted while running MR1 RUU.

I have NOT tried this, but you're welcome to be the guinea pig.

1. With your phone not connected to your computer, run the MR1 RUU (not MR2). Get to the point where it says it can't find your phone and wants to exit. Don't exit.

2. In Windows explorer, go to:
    c:\Documents and Settings\yourusername\Local Settings\Temp

3. Sort by date, and the most recent subdirectory should be from no more than a few minutes earlier. It'll be something like "{C4AEBEB0-34E4-482A-811F-C426B9FA87AC}". Open it and find "rom.zip".

4. Move "rom.zip" out of that directory onto your desktop or something and then exit the MR1 RUU.

5. Rename "rom.zip" to "PB00IMG.zip", put it on your SD card, and follow the directions that we all used to upgrade in the first place.

24. Mr.Slave

Sorry no can do. I found someone to trade me straight across for the Moto Droid and haven't regretted it. Best decision I have made in a long time!

25. TheProfessional

TheProfessional Well-Known Member

I tried it. Doesn't work.