• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S, B ang G on keyboard exiting me out of messaging screen.

i have a similar problem but I've only had the phone a week & haven't figured out what I'm pressing but in the middle of typing it shoots me up to the very 1st text I sent that person I'm typing. So I have to scroll all the way down & I get kinda angry cause I forget to delete texts and when you have 80-100 to scroll through just to finish typing gets frustrating.

Upvote 0
Look at Menu/Settings/Applications, then click Quick Launch.
There are keyboard shortcuts set up using the Search key and single letter keys.
Search + B = Internet
Search + G = Gmail
Search + S = Messages (SMS)

Check for a sticking Search Key.

I have the same issue, which only showed up after upgrading to Gingerbread. Also, what is a 'Search' key? I have noticed that this problem only occurs when I use either the 'S', 'G', or 'B' keys on the slider keyboard (not when I use the touch-screen keyboard). Another problems it that sometimes when I start typing a text message or Google chat message using the slide-out keyboard it will start typing all letters in caps. Again, this problem only occurs when using the slider keyboard and I am not pressing any 'Search' keys as I don't even know what that key is. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Upvote 0
The Search Key is the little magnifying glass key directly below the X Key.

The up arrow Key just above the FN key is the Shift Key. It works as a toggle key. press once for one capital letter, press twice for all caps, and press again for all lower case. In the right lighting conditions, you'll see a small white light in the area just above the Q key to show what state the Shift Key is in. If you have a case on the phone, you may have to look under the edge to see the light. Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
I was having the same problem. I checked into it by doing what @ginglish said above and then I deleted the shortcuts that were preset. Here's what you can do..
Press the Menu circle on the face of the phone click settings then scroll down to applications and click quick launch. If there are shorcuts listed for the letters you are having problems with simply hold your finger on that "assign application" line for a few seconds and you will get a pop up asking if you'd like to delete the shortcut. I deleted all three of the preset shortcuts and now things are running smoothly again. I've had my phone for a month now and this problem just popped up yesterday. Not sure why all of a sudden but I've done what I think will help.
~B

Reactions: Stormbow
Upvote 0
I was having the same problem. I checked into it by doing what @ginglish said above and then I deleted the shortcuts that were preset. Here's what you can do..
Press the Menu circle on the face of the phone click settings then scroll down to applications and click quick launch. If there are shorcuts listed for the letters you are having problems with simply hold your finger on that "assign application" line for a few seconds and you will get a pop up asking if you'd like to delete the shortcut. I deleted all three of the preset shortcuts and now things are running smoothly again. I've had my phone for a month now and this problem just popped up yesterday. Not sure why all of a sudden but I've done what I think will help.
~B
Joined the forums JUST to thank this post. It solved the most irritating problem I've had with my silly HTC Evo 4G.

And I don't care if I necro'd the thread. It was worth it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones