• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S Calendar and Google Calendar notifications reset on power off of Samsung GS3

Hi Phandroid Community!

Recently I noticed calendar notification settings (of both S Calendar and Google Calendar app) cleared upon power off of my Samsung Galaxy SIII. I'm trying to turn off all S Calendar notifications while leaving on all Google Calendar notifications (prefer this app).

Main questions:
-Has anyone else experienced this?
-Does anyone know if S Calendar and Google Calendar notification settings are tied to one another?

Samsung technical support is suggesting a factory reset**. As I want to avoid a hard reset, I tried to troubleshoot on my own and noted the below scenario highlighting notification setting status of both S Calendar and Google Calendar before/after power off:

S Calendar:
Before powering down/or resetting Galaxy SIII:
>Settings
Under "Event notification"
>Set alerts & notifications
>"Off" (radio button selected)

After powering down/or resetting Galaxy SIII:
>Settings
Under "Event notification"
>Set alerts & notifications
>"Status bar notification" (radio button selected)

Google Calendar app
Before powering down/or resetting Galaxy SIII:
>Settings
>General settings
Under "Reminder settings"
>Notifications (checked)
>Pop-up notification (checked)

After powering down/or resetting Galaxy SIII:
>Settings
>General settings
Under "Reminder settings"
>Notifications (unchecked)
>Pop-up notification (unchecked)

Would appreciate if anyone has any insight into this!

**After contacting Samsung technical support, this is what I was told:
-Tech support initially said that it has to do with removing the battery and said that Google Calendar + S Calendar notification settings are linked to one another.
-(After telling tech support it happened w/o removing the battery and just powering off), technician rescinded original statement
-Then said, should not be happening and suggested a factory reset.

Thanks,
cristobalwong

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones