• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root s-off unrevoked forevor

i guess i dont understand why unrevoked made it very clear you should only use the unrevoked forevor patch if you have 1 of the listed radio versions then...
they didnt bother to say anything about rom or kernel.
they did talk about hboot recovery but it seemed like it was only to make sure you are able to do the update.

Upvote 0
Are you referring to the "Supported Devices" list with the baseband (radio) versions on the unrevoked forever page?

That's just a list of what you need to be running when you run the program to gain S-Off, not a list of what you need to be running at all times. Their exploit works on all Incredible radio versions as of now, but in the future when newer radios come out (and are pre-installed on new phones), HTC/Verizon could patch the exploit and users with that radio version would not be able to use Forever to gain S-Off.

I get the feeling you're somehow thinking that Unrevoked is always running something on the phone to keep security off... it isn't. Once you gain S-Off, you don't lose it unless you run something specifically to turn it back on. The next OTA update (or any update really...) shouldn't make you lose it.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the clarification. I guess I didnt really think about it being a small file change. I was thinking of it like the clockwork mod, like i could run it and change the s-off to back on again or something. Btw is there an easy way to turn it back on in case I want Verizon to look at my phone and they notice it has been turned off?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones