s-off..what does this do ?

1. patsfann

patsfann Well-Known Member

htc evo design (boost) 2fast's xfuziionZz ics v5..... was just wondering what was up with all the talk of S-off ....just wanting 2 enjoy all my phone has 2 offer ( for what i paid 4 it ) :).............PS 2fast's rom rocks & his team , dont know all of them but i know cookie is in it !!!! 2 thumbs up !!!!!!!!

Advertisement
  2. Travisholt92

Travisholt92 Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% sure of everything S-off achieves but i know by achieving S-off you can unlock the service locks such as unlocking the phone to be used with US GSM sim cards (such as AT&T and T-Mobile)
    patsfann likes this.
  3. Savage Shadows

Savage Shadows Well-Known Member

Something else obtained with s-off is the capability to flash custom radios. I've never meddled in that, since it can be a bit more risky that a ROM or a kernel, but the right radio tweaks on the right phone can make a difference.
    patsfann likes this.
  4. 2fast4u88

2fast4u88 Well-Known Member

S-off will technically unlock all the partitions on the phone. This means you can flash the radio, downgrade firmware, flash boot.img's with in roms without a issue and a few other aspects. As it sets now with just the unlock you can't touch the radio partition. How ever you can update the radio running a newer ruu.

If s-off was had you could flash what ever radio you would like new or old. Same way with the firmware. Flash back to a older ruu you need to do some hackery where s-off it would just flash and go on it's way.

S-off has nothing in common with unlocking the sim slot for gsm carriers. That would be supercid as many call it. You can have s-off and still not have a unlocked sim.
  5. cannabinoid

cannabinoid Active Member

Is s-off required to flash a kernel?
    wanting to try 2fast's but I'm new to htc and s-off...
  6. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

No, s-off isn't needed to flash kernels. Depending on your device you may have to fast boot flash it, but I'll let others with device specific knowledge chime in there.

Basically, s-off turns the securities of the phone off so that things that are not signed by HTC can be flashed through the boot loader.
    patsfann and cannabinoid like this.
  7. cannabinoid

cannabinoid Active Member

Thanks for the speedy reply!

Will be flashing it later today
  8. 2fast4u88

2fast4u88 Well-Known Member

I don't know the issues with the other phones with just htc unlock, how ever I have yet to have a issue flashing a kernel the normal way with just it. With that said just htc unlock and flash.