• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root s-on and want to flash roms? READ THIS

Thank you sir. I feel more comfortable now with my research and your help. I will be looking more deeply into s-off as you suggest. If I have more questions, of course, I'll direct them to the sensation threads on this subject.

happy to help. just holler if you have any questions :) i was lucky enuff to pick up my sensation on hboot 1.18,and thus able to root it with revolutionary. i have done the wire trick,and used jp bear to s off several rezounds and a gsm evo 3d. :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0
Sir,

Thank you for your information,
I've followed all the steps, and when running the following:

"fastboot boot recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img"

I am getting white screen with HTC logo in green... staying forever

I have a WFS marvel mobile, is there something I can do diffrentlly?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Sir,

Thank you for your information,
I've followed all the steps, and when running the following:

"fastboot boot recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img"

I am getting white screen with HTC logo in green... staying forever

I have a WFS marvel mobile, is there something I can do diffrentlly?

Thanks!

yes! you need to find a recovery image compatible with your device. the ra-vigor-3.15 is an htc rezound specific recovery,and will not work with a wfs marvel mobile.

Upvote 0
do not confuse this with the fastboot flash command.

fastboot boot is taking an image,and booting it right up on the phone.

fastboot flash is permantly installing an image into the phones filesystem.

I am confused by the 2 statements above.

fastboot flash PERMANENTLY installs the image and fastboot BOOT is booting the image?

I thought flash was a temporary thing and boot was the permanent? I have been trying to flash Neo's infection with this method and gee dangit if I can't get it to go past the ROM's boot screen. Just keeps "loading" and never gets to the set up part.

PS. I see you all over the place here and others and I sure am thankful for folks like you.

Upvote 0
I am confused by the 2 statements above.

fastboot flash PERMANENTLY installs the image and fastboot BOOT is booting the image?

I thought flash was a temporary thing and boot was the permanent? I have been trying to flash Neo's infection with this method and gee dangit if I can't get it to go past the ROM's boot screen. Just keeps "loading" and never gets to the set up part.

PS. I see you all over the place here and others and I sure am thankful for folks like you.

the commands are as described. if you wish to permanently install your recovery,use the fastboot flash recovery recoveryname.img command. if you wish to temporarily launch it into memory,you will boot it with fastboot boot recoveryname.img

if you boot your recovery with fastboot boot it will install the kernel normally,just as an s off device would. you shouldnt need to do anything special:
-boot recovery
-full wipe
-flash rom normally
-reboot

the roms now are based on newer firmware,so if your still on GB firmware,then that may be a prollem :)

Reactions: kramerica
Upvote 0
the commands are as described. if you wish to permanently install your recovery,use the fastboot flash recovery recoveryname.img command. if you wish to temporarily launch it into memory,you will boot it with fastboot boot recoveryname.img

if you boot your recovery with fastboot boot it will install the kernel normally,just as an s off device would. you shouldnt need to do anything special:
-boot recovery
-full wipe
-flash rom normally
-reboot

the roms now are based on newer firmware,so if your still on GB firmware,then that may be a prollem :)

Thanks man! I finally figured out that it wasn't the boot.img causing the problem (or how I flashed it as I followed your directions to the letter - THANKS). I am running Neo's Infection ROM and it is either the Cobalt Theme or the themes themselves that seem to be causing the non boot issue.

Thanks again for all your stuff!

Now if I could figure out how to load voice search and make it work on this ROM, I might be set!

Upvote 0
Scotty, I am really struggling here. I have to manually flash boot boot.img to get my Rage ROM to load. I followed the steps above again and still need to manually boot on every reboot. I flashed the ROM over the 3.14 unlocked/rooted/Amon RA ROM after flashing Scott's CleanWipe 10X script.

Edit: I am S-On by the way (obviously?)

Edit 2: I think I finally got it. Wasn't flashing the boot.img right. Went to fastboot folder, then "fastboot flash boot boot.img" and it's rebooted twice now. I am a little gun shy on if a reboot ever occurs and I'm no where near my computer. I'll crap em. If I could figure out how to make a PH98IMG file with the boot.img for back up, I'll stop wearing diapers. Until then, it's "oops I crapped my pants" for men.

Upvote 0
Scotty, I am really struggling here. I have to manually flash boot boot.img to get my Rage ROM to load. I followed the steps above again and still need to manually boot on every reboot. I flashed the ROM over the 3.14 unlocked/rooted/Amon RA ROM after flashing Scott's CleanWipe 10X script.

Edit: I am S-On by the way (obviously?)

Edit 2: I think I finally got it. Wasn't flashing the boot.img right. Went to fastboot folder, then "fastboot flash boot boot.img" and it's rebooted twice now. I am a little gun shy on if a reboot ever occurs and I'm no where near my computer. I'll crap em. If I could figure out how to make a PH98IMG file with the boot.img for back up, I'll stop wearing diapers. Until then, it's "oops I crapped my pants" for men.

sorry for not getting back to you sooner. glad youve figured out your issue. as youve found,the boot image should not disapear. when you flash it,its tehre until you flash a different one

unles you happen to be trying to flash a rom thats really old,and not scripted for recovery to flash the boot image,then i think you may not be following the above directions 100% correctly,as fastboot booting your recovery should let it install the boot image,without having to seperately fastboot flash it.

other things can cause bootloops,but as long as your bootloops were being casued by an incompatible kernel,then you should be good to go. holler if you have further questions :)

Upvote 0
didn't work

C:\mini-adb_vigor>adb devices
List of devices attached
SH16JV802415 device

C:\mini-adb_vigor>adb reboot bootloader

C:\mini-adb_vigor>fastboot devices
SH16JV802415 fastboot

C:\mini-adb_vigor>fastboot boot recovery-ra-vigor-3.15-gnm.img
downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY [ 9.657s]
booting... FAILED (remote: not allowed)
finished. total time: 9.667s

can't start the recovery
only appears the triangle with exclamation point, and no menu.

the HTC Sensation boot normally.

Did I miss something?

Upvote 0
With the Sensation, I suggest using Revolutionary to s-off your device. It's quite a process from when I had it, a couple years ago, but worked great and allowed for automatic sim unlock too.

revolutionary does not work with 1.23+ ICS hboots,nor does it or the current tool automatically sim unlock. there is a diag file that can be used once s off,but its not part of the process(and a little dangerous,so be careful)

some more info on sensation unlock: http://androidforums.com/sensation-...t-1-27-basic-info-back-stock.html#post4970389

however,i should have mentioned in my reply that once the correct unlocked or patched hboot is used,Pdevil70 will need to use a sensation specific recovery. ;)

i may not have caught the sensation comment,or i may have not realized i was in the rezound forum if id come here right from an email :eek:

sorry for the confusion

Reactions: stevebclarke62
Upvote 0
hi scotty i used your above method to install cym 9-1 on my htc sensation with s on,i was wondering if the same method would work with a jellybean rom cym 10.0 or do I have to stick to ics roms,thank you

sky is the limit :)

as long as the roms youre flashing are desigend for s off flashing,then fastboot booting recovery will install them normally :)

Upvote 0
Hey scotty, thanks for all the tutorials. They have been a huge help. I came from the OG Dinc, which was a beast at flashing, haha. Anyway this Rezound is driving me up a wall and I'm beyond frustrated with this thing. Anyway I rooted S-On temporary recovery and was running CM10.1 JB4.2 Rom. A newer version was released so I relocked went to run ruu and I get an error in HBoot that the version is older and update failed. I'm assuming since I was on a JB rom I cannot run an ICS ruu? I am stuck where I'm at. I cannot get anything to boot. I tried reinstalling AmonRa recovery after unlocking again but it says the file is invalid (same recovery I used the first time following your guide). I'm assuming it says its invalid because I was never able to get stock recovery back on. When I choose recovery in fastboot I get the red triangle. Any suggestions.

Upvote 0
Hey scotty, thanks for all the tutorials. They have been a huge help. I came from the OG Dinc, which was a beast at flashing, haha. Anyway this Rezound is driving me up a wall and I'm beyond frustrated with this thing. Anyway I rooted S-On temporary recovery and was running CM10.1 JB4.2 Rom. A newer version was released so I relocked went to run ruu and I get an error in HBoot that the version is older and update failed. I'm assuming since I was on a JB rom I cannot run an ICS ruu? I am stuck where I'm at. I cannot get anything to boot. I tried reinstalling AmonRa recovery after unlocking again but it says the file is invalid (same recovery I used the first time following your guide). I'm assuming it says its invalid because I was never able to get stock recovery back on. When I choose recovery in fastboot I get the red triangle. Any suggestions.

if the update is failing becasue the main version has been raised by a PH98IMG boot image install,you can flash this zip in recovery to lower it: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=23169557&postcount=4

my advice would be to reunlock,re-launch temp recovery,then flash your updated rom.

if your image is failing,it has become corrupted somehow,or there could be a prollem with your procedure. or potentially something running on the PC,bad usb cable,or even an issue with using a usb hub or usb3.0,or windows 8.

id try a reboot of the PC,make sure to dismantle everything that can conect to the phone(htc sync,pda net,easy tether,even itunes) and redownload the image.

if you still have trouble,well need more details of your setup,and a copy of your cmd window. :)

Upvote 0
Hey Scotty! My desire S is currently unlocked, but S-ON, HBOOT 2.00.2002. So i fastboot boot Clockworkmodrecovery.img while on bootloader, full wiped then installed a clean copy of this ROM right here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1401563 The problem is that it goes into the recovery i already had (twrp) everytime i reboot the device. So what i did was to restore the version I allready had: fallout v5 ( http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1679125 ).

I installed Fallout v5 easy, flashing it from permanently installed TWRP while S-ON but no other ROMS work that way. If i flash any other ROMS that way, everytime i reboot the device it goes into recovery. So i tried your method, but no luck.

Then I found another one of your guides: http://androidforums.com/rezound-all-things-root/499172-how-manually-flash-roms.html#post3933400 The problem with this method is that the ROM I'm trying to flash has no boot.img to allow me to flash it from adb, after flashing the ROM. I wanted to flash that older ROM to preserve more battery, but it's too much of a headeache. I wrote this here, seeing that you're the best on this stuff, explaining in detail to every noob. So what shall i do?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones