• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root s-on and want to flash roms? READ THIS

are you fastboot booting recovery when trying to restore your nandroid? if you are not,then the prollem is likely as you described,the backup wont work with the cm9 kernel

your hboot is the newest that im aware of,and i would think should be compatible with cm9. if you could link me to a thread or description instead of a download,i could check it out firther. is this someones unofficial builds? or official builds from cm?

i would first try booting recovery and restoring your nandroid if you havent tried that allready.

next,if that doesnt work,try wiping everything again,then re-installing cm9,and then install the boot image manually ( fastboot flash boot boot.img )

i would also try to re-download,it could be as simple as a corrupt or incomplete download. if an md5 is provided,check and make sure the md5 of the version on your pc matches it.

after that,you may need to run an RUU. do you know your original build number? if not,enter in cmd,phone in fastboot:
fastboot getvar all
and list that outut,replacing your serial number and imei with xxxxxxx

Upvote 0
Hey. Thank you for your post and this amazing thread! :adore:

for a while i have been reading so many threads about ROMing and flashing devices, i started to dream in linux and ADB command line...:sleep:
any ways i own a htc one s, and decided to try and install a rom followed (not very well) this tut': http://androidforums.com/one-s-all-...recovery-root-your-htc-one-s.html#post4331626

and by now my device is unlocked rooted S-ON, and in the limbo of restart and all my backups are wiped and i have no rom, no operating system of any kind, when i power my device i get the HTC logo and then it just turns off... but their is hope i can enter recovery mode (using twrp2.6) and fastboot

I really hope you could help me with some guide lines on how to get my device running again -> in the moment of angry i actually factory formatted the device while booting an .img :banghead:

anyways here is some info about my device:

< waiting for device >
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 2.15.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 1.11.50.05.28
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 1.00.000.0
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: *********
(bootloader) imei: *********
(bootloader) product: vle
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8960
(bootloader) modelid: PJ4010000
(bootloader) cidnum: HTC__001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4158mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-64bedd38
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.066s

HTC one s, international
i have tempered with almost everything (did cid and back, locked relocked and locked again the unlock etc..) main issue is that i cant get the S-OFF now i realize i need help from a PRO!

how can i restore my phone or install a ROM to make my device work again ?

Please please please help !!!

Upvote 0
using twrp 2.6.x.x you should have a couple of options. you can still get to recovery,correct?

you can either:
1)push a rom to your sd card with adb
or
2)use the "adb sideload" feature of twrp

for #1,enter recovery,enter
adb devices to make sure youre connected.

then place the rom into your adb/fastboot folder. assuming that you were on a 4.1 rom,you can push the rom to your "sd card" with:
adb push romname.zip /data/media/0/ (using the actual name of the rom for romname)

wait for it to finish,it will take awhile. after its done,you should be able to find it on your sd card so that you can:
-wipe data/factory reset
-flash rom
-flash boot image

for #2,again put the rom into your adb/fastboot folder and check for connectivity with
adb devices

if youve got it,then
-wipe data/factory reset
-chose the adb sideload feature in twrp
-start the sideload from the pc with:
adb sideload romname.zip
-once the phone tells you the install is finished,boot to fastboot and flash the boot image.

ok,actually there is a third option. download this ruu utility: Shipped ROMs

relock your bootloader with
fastboot oem lock

this will prolly lock you into bootloader with a security warning. dont panic this is normal... just run the utility and it should update all partitions and bring you back to stock. if it doesnt run,still dont panic,you can extract rom.zip in this manner:

the .exe utilities can be finicky,so if you have trouble getting it to run, you can extract "rom.zip" in the following manner:
-start the utility
-check the "i understand" box to move on to the next screen
-hide the utility temporarily out of site
-search your C drive for "rom.zip". you will find it in a temporary location(it will be in a different spot each time you run the utility)
-open the folder location,and transfer rom.zip to a safe location on your PC.
-unhide and cancel the utility,youre done with it.
-rom.zip can be renamed to PxxxIMG and flashed in hboot,from a FAT32 sd card

you can flash rom.zip in this manner:
if youre working with a booted,operational phone,you can flsh the file in the following manner:

-open a cmd window

-change to adb/fastboot directory
cd c:\foldername
(cd c:\mini-adb if youve used any of my guides :))

-place the zip file you want to flash into adb/fastboot directory

-enable usb debug,disable fastboot,plug in phone

-check for connectivity
adb devices (should return serial number)

-boot to fastboot
adb reboot bootloader

-check for connectivity again
fastboot devices

-flash the file
fastboot erase cache

fastboto oem rebootRUU (will put you in ruu mode,black screen silver htc letters)

fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip (will send and flash the file. dont interupt it while the cmd window shows its writinging,and the green status bar is moving on the phone screen)

*sometimes a file will fail with a pre-update error. this is normal,just enter again:
fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip
and this time it will finish

-when you get "finished" and "OK"
fastboot reboot-bootloader (takes you back to fastboot)

-reboot back to the OS
fastbooot reboot

you can use this if you dont have an operational phone as well. you just need to manually put the phone in fastboot(select from hboot menu) then skip the "adb" commands and start with fastboot devices

once youre at a working phone,consider going s off,it makes this whole mes a BUNCH easier ;)

holler if you have questions :)

Reactions: blonda16
Upvote 0
I started with the last method you wrote trying to Flash in ROMs
receiving error 24, again and again so relocked downloaded the .exe
that took me an hour (downloaded it twice in case first was corrupted)

run the exe -> 5 or 6 times eventually it worked my phone working finally:smokingsomb:

now i can back up a root my phone right !:smokin:

Y O U A R E T H E M A N:adore:
thank you very much

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
another quick question. i know its not related to this specific thread...
i'm now trying to get the s-off. using agentc13 guides.
main issue i cant get "su" using "adb shell"

C:\htc-ruu>adb shell
~ # &#8592;[6nsu
su
/sbin/sh: su: not found
~ # &#8592;[6n

should i continue to change the CID on my device and keep on trying to S-OFF ?

i know that there are options to "chmod xxxx" via twrp recovery but without "SU" working properly i'm afraid to go back to the situation that brought me here ... :)

Upvote 0
Hello,

I'm very disappointed in myself.:thinking: Please, if somebody could help me as soon as possible i would be so thankfull!

What i did so far: Followed ''[how to]unlock,install recovery,and root with htcdev''
Then with that recovery i installed the .zip android revolution on my HTC Desire HD. Now it won't boot after the HTC logo anymore and 'adb devices' also does not seem to respond anymore. What could it be? It was a temporary recovery boot.

Many thanks, Jesse

Upvote 0
Hello,

I'm very disappointed in myself.:thinking: Please, if somebody could help me as soon as possible i would be so thankfull!

What i did so far: Followed ''[how to]unlock,install recovery,and root with htcdev''
Then with that recovery i installed the .zip android revolution on my HTC Desire HD. Now it won't boot after the HTC logo anymore and 'adb devices' also does not seem to respond anymore. What could it be? It was a temporary recovery boot.

Many thanks, Jesse

unfortunately,the temporary doesnt work with the dhd or some of the other older single core devices. it doesnt work on my flyer either :( your phone is not booting simply becasue you need to flash a matching boot image.

if you have a nandroid,you should be able to restore it,as it will use the same kernel thats allready on your phone. otherwise,youll need to use fastboot to install the new boot image so your phone will boot.

if you wish to remain s on,you will have to do this seperate boot image install every time you want to flash a new rom,or restore a backup thats using a different kernel. more info on that here: http://androidforums.com/rezound-all-things-root/499172-how-manually-flash-roms.html#post3933400

if you wish to flash roms,i would encourage you to become s off. some info on that here: http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...-s-off-simunlock-supercid-inspire-4g-dhd.html

youve allready done the first part,wich is to htcdev unlock :)

Reactions: jesse66058
Upvote 0
Thank you Scotty,

But even the HTCDev was a real difficult thing for me. I started from zero and did not quite understood every word every tutorial said (Yes, i had to use a tutorial because HTCDev is too difficult first time). The one from you was the best. Still, with much pain i found out my hboot was higher than 2.X but still had to be upgraded. Then i had the faulty error that the ROM was not succesfully installed. Then had to move on to your rom.zip trick and that did the thing! :)

Now i'm stuck here and had 'fastboot boot' the recovery.img, that should be able to write to /boot i thought i read. After a painstakingly long 15 minutes i removed my batteries. Tried it again and again. It was on the whole night (8 hours) and did nothing, it was not even warm at the back of the phone. But the problem is now, if a start-up with volume down and power button, enable fastboot ->fastboot '

Upvote 0
Thank you Scotty,

But even the HTCDev was a real difficult thing for me. I started from zero and did not quite understood every word every tutorial said (Yes, i had to use a tutorial because HTCDev is too difficult first time). The one from you was the best. Still, with much pain i found out my hboot was higher than 2.X but still had to be upgraded. Then i had the faulty error that the ROM was not succesfully installed. Then had to move on to your rom.zip trick and that did the thing! :)

Now i'm stuck here and had 'fastboot boot' the recovery.img, that should be able to write to /boot i thought i read. After a painstakingly long 15 minutes i removed my batteries. Tried it again and again. It was on the whole night (8 hours) and did nothing, it was not even warm at the back of the phone. But the problem is now, if a start-up with volume down and power button, enable fastboot -&gt;fastboot 'Úse' i hear a sound from my desktop so it does recognize the device. But 'adb devices' is an empty list. Why does cmd doesn't work properly anymore? I do understand the other part of the story. I found a boot.img in the android_revolution.zip but is useless after all if i can't connect my phone properly anymore. :(

It looks like karma is not at my side these days.........

Adb will never work in fastboot ;) while you're in fastboot,use fastboot commands,I.e., fastboot devices should get a serial number response. If so,you can proceed with fastboot flash boot boot.img and that should get your rom booting.

As I mentioned,the fastboot boot recovery trick does not work on the dhd. If you want to flash roms,you'll need to go thru manually flashing the boot image every time you want to flash a new rom,or restore a.different backup.

Hopefully that gets you sorted :)

Reactions: jesse66058
Upvote 0
Thank you Scotty,

What you mentioned was exactly the solution. It was in the very midnight when i got my DHD working back. It booted up immediately. I was thinking that you needed 'adb devices' to initialize connection. After more and more reading it was different. 'fastboot devices' and there was my phone happily! My bad :D

Anyways thanks for the support! I'll definitely take some time to buy you a beer. I could not afford to lose my phone another day. :p

The main reason i wanted to get rid of the stock ROM was the faulty errors and slowness. Very noticeable in the Spotify app i use for private use and events. :)
With the new ROM it is much faster, drains a little faster but that was common and solveable i read. Now Spotify works much smoother and more reliable, however some crasher are from the Spotify app itself. A week ago the Spotify web player UI got updated, yesterdag the Iphone version a friend said and hopefully the Android version very soon!

I must say, if you have zero pre-knowledge about these things, youre tutorials are the best you could do. Also if you're are handy it should be good to do.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Hello everybody,
I would be very glad, if you can help me to solve my problem.
I followed your instructions, but after screening the HTC Logo the Recovery does not start.

c:\mini-adb_vigor>adb devices
List of devices attached

Furthermore I really doesn`t know why the above text appear and my device not appear!

c:\mini-adb_vigor>fastboot getvar all
INFOversion: 0.5
INFOversion-bootloader: 1.27.0000
INFOversion-baseband: N/A
INFOversion-cpld: None
INFOversion-microp: None
INFOversion-main: 1.00.000.01
INFOserialno: HT18GV803654
INFOimei: 356440049649609
INFOproduct: pyramid
INFOplatform: HBOOT-8260
INFOmodelid: PG5813000
INFOcidnum: O2___102
INFObattery-status: good
INFObattery-voltage: 3965mV
INFOpartition-layout: Generic
INFOsecurity: on
INFObuild-mode: SHIP
INFOboot-mode: FASTBOOT
INFOcommitno-bootloader: 617f0a98
INFOhbootpreupdate: 11
INFOgencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.492s

c:\mini-adb_vigor>md5sums recovery-ra-vigor-3.16-gnm.img

MD5sums 1.2 freeware for Win9x/ME/NT/2000/XP+
Copyright (C) 2001-2005 Jem Berkes

[Path] / filename MD5 sum
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[c:\mini-adb_vigor\]
recovery-ra-vigor-3.16-gnm.img b284a97df486abaf71665ef608b79935

c:\mini-adb_vigor>fastboot boot recovery-ra-vigor-3.16-gnm.img
downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY [ 1.810s]
booting... OKAY [ 0.001s]
finished. total time: 1.823s

By the way I flashed the Sultan Kernel and the have CWM v5.8.0.9!

Thank you very much!

Upvote 0
Okay guys, I'm new to the forum and have a pretty serious question.. I work for a computer and phone Tech store and have a HTC Rezound with a cyanogenmod rom on it. The phone cannot connect to Wi-Fi or register service with the network. I need to flash the phone from Verizon to page plus service for a customer, but can't because of the custom rom. Any advice on how to reboot the factory rom? It's running Android 4.0.4

Upvote 0
Okay guys, I'm new to the forum and have a pretty serious question.. I work for a computer and phone Tech store and have a HTC Rezound with a cyanogenmod rom on it. The phone cannot connect to Wi-Fi or register service with the network. I need to flash the phone from Verizon to page plus service for a customer, but can't because of the custom rom. Any advice on how to reboot the factory rom? It's running Android 4.0.4

you have a couple of options:

1)run an ruu wich will restore all partitions to stock. this is only really an option if the phone is on old firmware,or is s off.

2)simply install a stock rom in place of cm. something like this: [ROM] OTA-Global-Stock-4.05.605.14 710RD-Roo… | HTC Rezound | XDA Forum

you might provide for us the bootloader information,and if you have adb/fastboot and drivers set up provide for us the results of fastboot getvar all

also,do you have experience in flashing roms? not sure the level of detail we need to go into,since you work with phones. for the most part,#2 would be my first recomendation,without knowing more info :) this would keep the phones custom recovery,and any other custom firmware in place(wich may or may not be inportant to the customer)

Upvote 0
I've got a little experience with flashing roms, but the guy I work with is a genius when it comes to that stuff. I appreciate the help! If this works I'll be sure and let you know!

sounds good. :cool:

just remember,that if the phone is s on,the boot image will need to be manually installed via fastboot.

holler if you have further questions :)

Upvote 0
Hello Scotty.

I rooted my phone quite some time ago and I don't remember what I did. It is an HTC Rezound for Verizon. I think my nephew tried to accept and update or something and now it will not boot past the white HTC screen.

I read all around the internet and became confused and scared of bricking my phone because of the S-on S-off with some files could brick the phone.

I read your information and gather since I am s-on I am safe from bricking the phone.

I read your instructions but I have something on the phone your instructions do not include it is Team Win Recovery project and I am not sure if I need to remove it or if I can leave it or how it might change my instructions on how to install a new rom.

I would appreciate any help. I need the phone to work again, I would like to install the latest android OS is fine and rooted (for titaniumbackup and for pdanet or something that allows hotspot) and would like the easiest way to get the phone. it is more important that it is stable than being at the latest and greatest. When I originally rooted the phone I was using the extended battery and the life went way down after the root, so it was probably an unstable or old rom (I assume that is the file I use to install the OS again)

I thought with what I have I should be able to put a file on the card and run it an I would be back up and running again.

I included two links with images of screen shots of the phone if that helps. I am not knowledgeable about this stuff and struggled to get it rooted in the first place. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mxphotos.net/webpic/rezound1.jpg
mxphotos.net/webpic/rezound2.jpg

Upvote 0
Hello Scotty.

I rooted my phone quite some time ago and I don't remember what I did. It is an HTC Rezound for Verizon. I think my nephew tried to accept and update or something and now it will not boot past the white HTC screen.

I read all around the internet and became confused and scared of bricking my phone because of the S-on S-off with some files could brick the phone.

I read your information and gather since I am s-on I am safe from bricking the phone.

I read your instructions but I have something on the phone your instructions do not include it is Team Win Recovery project and I am not sure if I need to remove it or if I can leave it or how it might change my instructions on how to install a new rom.

I would appreciate any help. I need the phone to work again, I would like to install the latest android OS is fine and rooted (for titaniumbackup and for pdanet or something that allows hotspot) and would like the easiest way to get the phone. it is more important that it is stable than being at the latest and greatest. When I originally rooted the phone I was using the extended battery and the life went way down after the root, so it was probably an unstable or old rom (I assume that is the file I use to install the OS again)

I thought with what I have I should be able to put a file on the card and run it an I would be back up and running again.

I included two links with images of screen shots of the phone if that helps. I am not knowledgeable about this stuff and struggled to get it rooted in the first place. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mxphotos.net/webpic/rezound1.jpg
mxphotos.net/webpic/rezound2.jpg

you dont need to remove team win recovery. you can boot it using the first post instructions,or you can boot amon recovery with twrp still in place.

Upvote 0
you dont need to remove team win recovery. you can boot it using the first post instructions,or you can boot amon recovery with twrp still in place.

I don't know what to boot. If I select fastboot. It goes to the white HTC screen and sits there and does not boot.

If I go to recover, it boots into TWRP. If I select reboot into OS, it says No OS installed. If I just do a reboot, it says, are you sure you want to reboot with no OS installed?

I read the first part of your directions. It states. "unfortunately,the above is a recipe for disaster on any s-on,high end htc device. "

So I assume that the first part of the post is not what I should do.

So I read farther down and it says..

there are a couple options to work around this handicap with s-on phones:

1)use juopunut bear's tool to s-off your phone. :eek: doing this makes your phone and recovery act like you are used to(recovery can[/ write to /boot) but does not come without consequence. see this post for more info: s-off guide/info/return to stock

I assume I don't want the consequences so the second option is.

2)flash the kernel manually. it can be done with the command fastboot flash boot or it can be done by placing the boot image inside a PH98IMG file and flashing it in hboot

Ok, this is where I am confused. Do I use twrp or fastboot flash boot.

So now I am back to my original question. What file do I uses

"PH98IMG flashing is a PITA on an s-on phone" so I assume I do not use this file, so what file. Then what file? I assume once you tell me the file, I put it in the root of the external card and do what?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones