• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S2 keeps rebooting

I had the same problem, i worked out that it was because the battery seemed slightly too small for the compartment and so sometimes when it was knocked, the connection would disconnect briefly at the top of the battery where the connection points between the phone and the battery are.

What i did was i wedged a little folded up peice of paper at the bottom of the battery to ensure the connection point at the top was always in contact. Problem solved, never had it agan.

Upvote 0
I just updated to 2.3.5 over the airwaves, and installation went fine. Two days no restarts. But today I turned on the bluetooth, and it is now stuck in a constant reboot. I dont even have time to untoggle the bluetooth off before it restarts. so ****ing annoying. How do I fix this?! I need a damn phone that works! Up until this point, I have absolutely loved the phone!!!!

Upvote 0
1) Never heard of the ability to run an OS out of the external microSD card, and doubt that you could... even if rooted.

2) Factory reset does not wipe your files and pictures from the Phone storage. Both the 11GB provided and the external microSD. It only wipes the 2GB Internal Phone Memory and reset it to factory default. That means apps are gone since that's where apps are located. The Android version remains as whatever is current though.

3) It would still be a good idea to back up what ever you can first.

Cheers

Upvote 0
1) Never heard of the ability to run an OS out of the external microSD card, and doubt that you could... even if rooted.

2) Factory reset does not wipe your files and pictures from the Phone storage. Both the 11GB provided and the external microSD. It only wipes the 2GB Internal Phone Memory and reset it to factory default. That means apps are gone since that's where apps are located. The Android version remains as whatever is current though.

3) It would still be a good idea to back up what ever you can first.

Cheers

Sorry, Ill clarify. Putting the APK file on the external SD card allows you to load it from the SD card in the bootup settings when you turn on the phone while holding the up volume key and the home key at the same time. That is how I installed Gingerbread on my Motorola Droid X months before Verizon Wireless rolled it out.

Factory Reset erased everything from my internal memory, pics, songs, the works are now gone. And because the phone wouldn't stay booted up long enough to save anything, I got screwed. Vodafone is obviously shit at rolling out new updates! Anyway, what is done is done, but I suggest nobody upgrade to 2.3.5 if they dont have to. Just wait for Icecream Sandwich.

I am still running 2.3.5, but it required me to factory reset the phone, and like I said, everything is gone. If it becomes unstable again, Im going to revert to 2.3.3 and root it and install 4.0 and be done with it. An official update shouldn't be this big of a pain in the ass.

Ive had the phone for 5 months now, and I have not been able to connect to Kies even once. What a joke. I love the phone, but the communication software is absolutely terrible!

Upvote 0
I bought a Samsung Galaxy on Friday 17th Of Feb 2012 and on Monday the 20th i had to call Samsung due to the phone constantly restarting itself. Samsung advised to return the phone to the place of purchase which i did on the Tuesday! Tuesday picked up a new one and Wednesday phone restarted!! Rang Samsung and they advised that not all apps will work on Samsung Galaxy 2 and that i should remove all the apps i have put on there to prevent the phone from restarting! Samsung more or less its like going from Windows XP to Windows 7 and that not all apps will work on it! Looks like i will be taking this one back too. Whats the point in keeping it if Samsung advise not to put the apps on it??

Upvote 0
I've found the problem to be the latest rollout of the operating system, 2.3.5. When mine updated that's when all my issues began with the constant restart. In my opinion, it's a poorly designed update that doesn't fully play well with the previous operating system. I found that by doing a factory reset and completely losing all of my stuff on my phone that the problem went away. But a well-designed update shouldn't have to completely wipe away all the previous data to work correctly.
This shouldn't be the case of how many apps are installed on the phone or how many are open.. The processor is huge and can handle it. I had 127 apps on my phone way before it got stuck in constant boot mode. The problem is a shitty operating system update. If this f-s up again I'll just root and load icecream sandwich. :)

Upvote 0
I had the same problem, i worked out that it was because the battery seemed slightly too small for the compartment and so sometimes when it was knocked, the connection would disconnect briefly at the top of the battery where the connection points between the phone and the battery are.

What i did was i wedged a little folded up peice of paper at the bottom of the battery to ensure the connection point at the top was always in contact. Problem solved, never had it agan.

I intended doing the same but, I did not turn off the phone before I removed the back.
When I touched the SIM card the phone rebooted (phone only). I continued and reseated both battery and sim card --one week later no reboots.
I am inclined to think the problem may be with the SIM card holder.

Fernrock

Upvote 0
I had the default email client to check for mail every 5 minutes. Have now set it to Never and so far all seems ok. I prefer most of the time to get my emails on my home pc so this is ok for me. Others who need email when they are on the go might need to try another email client.

Edit: 24 hours later it rebooted. I've now cleared the cache. Lets see now what happens!

Upvote 0
Just had SGS2 for a month and in the last few days I have started having reboot problem. First I noticed that it was rebooting 3-4 times a day when left alone.
Then it rebooted when using heavy apps - Skype being one.
Then the crashes came when downloading updates from the Market.

It now reboots about 5-6 times a day and many more if i use the Market.

Called Orange and the immediately offered to replace but I do not want to lose some of my apps that I got for free from Samsung Apps that are no longer free like Trial Xtreme and MW3. So not sure what to do?????

Upvote 0
When the phone is in your pocket, the power button is being presses by your clothing and held down, hence resetting your phone. Try it, just press and hold the power button even if the phone is locked. The phone will reboot. it drives me nuts and happens about 5 times a day if not more.

This may happen in some cases, but there is a fault present also, my S2 reboots while its sitting on my desk mostly, it just did it a few minutes ago again, hence why I'm searching these forums.

Its strange, it will do it maybe once a day for a few days then it might not do it for a month

Upvote 0
Hi All,

Well, I got my phone back yesterday at 4:30 and noticed while I was in the office this morning the phone has reset itself twice. Its just sitting on the desk. I have not had anytime to load apps or do anything other than make a few phone calls. The report says it has a new PCB board in it looks at though they replaced the screen for some reason? Anyway I have had it with this phone now and don't know what else to do. I have no idea why it reboots all the time but it has been sent away twice now. I have also had the sim cards replaced 2 times. Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

Upvote 0
not sure if this will help anyone but my phone was rebooting all the time(still on 2.3.4,unbranded,o2 uk).

i uninstalled all the apps i had put on since the rebooting started and since then it hasnt happened........
yesterday i decided to put phandroid back on from the market and within half an hour my phone was doing the rebooting again,i uninstalled it and its not happened since.

Im going to give it 24hrs then install it again and see what happens,could be just a coincidence but its worth looking in to.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones