• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S2 keeps rebooting

My SGS2 is also rebooting itself.
And It does it when the phone is on my desk.
I have removed several apps... but it looks like i have to remove all those apps.
But what's the point with a phone like this if you cant use any apps?
And my sms answering does not work... if i try to answer- i got a error message.
If i make a new sms i get no error. (and this is only some times)

I do NOT like this phone... If it did not restart, and the battery lasted more then one day- it would be nice.... but now.... piece of crap.

And the only answer you get is to send in the phone to service.... a brand new phone should not be sent in to service.

I do NOT recommend Samsung Galaxy S2 !

Upvote 0
i had the same problem,phone kept restarting.i deleted all the apps i had put on since the problem started.......and it stopped doing it so it must of been an app.
i put the phandroid app on from the market the other day and it started rebooting again.....took it off and it stopped......tried again and same thing.
so unless its a coincidence????thats the app that was causing my problem.

just thought id share

oh,im on 2.3.4 on o2 uk.unbranded phone

Upvote 0
Mine's rebooted itself a couple of times in the last few days - when it's been happily sat on a table.

I was a bit concerned, but just realised this might have something to do with the changes to the Market/Google Play.

Mine's rebooted twice - I think the appearance of Google Play in my apps list coincides with one, and another one yesterday coincides with it being removed and re-added again (I know this as the icon disappeared from my homescreen - had to re-add it).

Upvote 0
Having the same problem

It will sit there quietly in the evening, sometimes on charge sometimes not then out of the blue turns itself off then back on but wont make it all the way, so back off again in a viscous circle

Barely had it a month so really disappointed cos this was meant to be THE phone to have.

Would like to try the "move Skype" method mentioned above but just tried to get to Apps 2SD and it started the issue off again, so trying the "take out battery for more than 5 minutes method" and we'll see where that leaves us.

After that will try the Skype solution if able and then will try taking it back to Phones4U, although I would suspect the "solution" from them or Samsung is simply to blame us for downloading something hinky and to do a reset / send it away where they'll do little more than reset it!

Shall try and come back and advise on successes / failures

Upvote 0
In my case, this was due to the SD card. The problem disappeared as soon as I removed it.

My reseller told me that the next firmware update would address this issue.
Next firmware meaning Ice Cream Sandwich?

Interesting that you say it is due to the SD card, but also that the next firmware will fix it. That implies both are contributing factors, which matches my experience. I didn't have the reboots till 2.3.6, but also it often has problems with the SD card. Sometimes it can't find it, then finds it again later. And now for the first time it actually claims that the SD card is damaged and won't ever find it. So I may have losy everything on there.

I still had the card in today, although it wasn't being used, and it still rebooted. Have taken the card out now, so we'll see if the reboots go away. But I do want my card back!

Rob.

Upvote 0
Next firmware meaning Ice Cream Sandwich?

No idea. That's what my reseller told me, but I don't know where he got the info. The connection between my problem and the SD card seems clear. My phone had a complete boardswap during the last repair, and rebooted 12h after I got it back. Now that I've taken it out, it hasn't rebooted in a week. I hope this fixes it for you too.

But yes, I do want my card in my phone too!

Cheers

Raph

Upvote 0
This is a well known problem since 2.3.5 (some say 2.3.4) and happens from time to time, non predictable. It can be solved by removing the sd card or by shutting off wifi, depending on the phone. Of course that's not why you bought your S2 in the first place... Moving to a custom rom is another solution. I moved to cyanogenmod (no more reboots) and now back to official ICS. No reboots since...

Upvote 0
Hi
I agree with the thought it might be the 2.3.6 firmware update being buggy. I have had nothing but problems since that update last year. Now every single day my phone reboots itself several times one after the other. And it's not in my pocket. It's sitting on my desk right next to me. It even happens when I'm on the phone speaking to someone.
I've gone to my telco and they've changed my sim - still happening. Also done a factory reset and still happening.
The only thing left is the firmware. It never happened before the 2.3.6 update.
I can't wait til ICS finally gets released. Apparently it'll fix the problem - or so i've heard.

Upvote 0
hi guys, my quick 2 cents worth...

I have a Samsung galaxy s2 which was bought 2 weeks ago (so latest build).
I leave mine overnight on the table without anything running (clear memory and apps), some mornings i find it asking for my pin number in order to phone ! obviously it reset itself in the night !
Its a network free phone with the latest firmware !

very irritating !!!
whats the latest update ?

Upvote 0
Hi,

Newbie here...

When my phone started rebooting, I thought it was only me but after googling, it seems the problem is quite widespread. My s2 was already loaded with 2.3.6 when I purchased it.

What is interesting (I think) is that I used it for a month or so without an SD card and phone was rebooting 2-3 times a day.:thinking: Thinking it was an app or memory issue, I finally inserted a 16SD card and moved most of my apps to the card except ones I frequently use. Phone is now rebooting once a day. Can confirm not a virus - well one that AVG hasn't picked up (yet)

Phone only seems to reboot itself when I am unlocking phone (pattern password) and if I am going from the Home Screen to the Menu/Application screen. It has never rebooted (touch on wood!!) whilst I've been using it (be it an SMS, phone call or in an app) Has anyone else noticed this?
I also deactivate data network mode when I am not using phone and only switch on wifi at home.

Going to try the trick of the trade - piece of paper under battery and will keep yous posted...will also keep an eye out on active network mode AND/OR wifi on and phone rebooting..:)

Till then, Im going to stick to my belief its a software issue and wait till Samsung release ICS to the larger community!

Upvote 0
Well, I've been having "issues" with my SGS2 for months and have tried all the tricks and ideas listed here. Paper on the battery was useless. Moving apps to and from SD card was useless. Reformatting the SD card did nothing. Still random resets several times a day and occasional freezes requiring a 10-second power button push to recover.

Eventually I did two things: Factory reset, and removed the SD card.

Then rebuilt the phone from scratch, took much less time than I feared due to an earlier backup and excellent android market process. That was over a week ago.

No problems of any description since then. Still have not put the SD card in, and don't think I will!

Now a backup using Kies takes only a minute and connection takes seconds - it was all really painful before! I suspect the SD card was overloading the phone resources somehow. Any other ideas??

Hope this might help someone!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones