• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S2 Now available and in stock in the UK! - Maybe!

Spewy

Aug 31, 2010
Manchester, England
Samsung Galaxy S2 Deals - O2, Orange, Vodafone, T-Mobile Galaxy S2 deals UK

I just received an email stating this phone is release and if you clik the link to the website it appears that they are available on next day delivery - I have phoned the company (mobiles.co.uk) And they say they are NOT in stock and are not expecting any stock until 18.4.11 at the soonest.

Has anyone had any luck ordering the phone through this site?

I was going to order from deal from mobiles.co.uk, but if you search for reviews of the company it seriously puts you off. I'm not a customer btw.

Secondly, I hope it's 18th April, however I can see this being put back again and again so I'm not committing yet - infact people are saying early May at the earliest.

I'm contemplating getting the LG 2X, as that's now out and much cheaper - but I'm not sure what to do.

Upvote 0
I was going to order from deal from mobiles.co.uk, but if you search for reviews of the company it seriously puts you off. I'm not a customer btw.

Secondly, I hope it's 18th April, however I can see this being put back again and again so I'm not committing yet - infact people are saying early May at the earliest.

I'm contemplating getting the LG 2X, as that's now out and much cheaper - but I'm not sure what to do.

Upvote 0
You should ignore the 512MB extra RAM as it will not mean much IMHO, but will factor into the price of the SGS2 and is good for futureproofing.

The screen is worth the extra $$$ alone, but if you are okay with the Optimus 2x screen, which is pretty nice for an LCD, get that instead. But it is always mesmerizing to see the black slab of a phone and screen as one magical touch device with the images literally on the surface as though it is part of its skin. The superthin panel, flat glass edge to edge front, and indistinguishable blacks of the screen and bezel put it on a league of its own. The perfect viewing angles and super high contrast make it extremely legible and the cameras don't lie.

The general consensus is that the Optimus 2x performance is kind of lacking with LG's customizations slowing things down. The SGS2 looks so snappy in many of the videos it is kind of freaky. You also get other fun things like MHL, gesture based controls, 1080p that actually looks good and doesn't suffer from softness or poor white-balance adjustment, and a lighter, slimmer device.

Upvote 0
+1. Super AMOLED is better than LCD in contrast, saturation, viewing angle. Its only con is small text clarity, but it's not so noticeable unless you zoom on it crazy. And even that one will be addressed by Super AMOLED plus.

But there is still the potential problem of screen burn though. I know it doesnt happen to every amoled display, but its more common than you think. I experienced very bad screen burn on the amoled screen on my HTC Desire after only 6 months. At least with my new phone having an LCD display I wont have that problem.

Reactions: kyler13
Upvote 0
But there is still the potential problem of screen burn though. I know it doesnt happen to every amoled display, but its more common than you think. I experienced very bad screen burn on the amoled screen on my HTC Desire after only 6 months. At least with my new phone having an LCD display I wont have that problem.

I've not had this issue with my old i8910 or my Galaxy S.

Not saying it doesnt exist but it's not as common a problem as some people make out.

Upvote 0
No but potentially the problem is there. This is one of the reasons that steered me away from buying the S2. If I had of bought it, it would always be in the back of my mind that it COULD happen again.

I can't inderstand what you mean.
Then you would have the same problem getting in a car after you had an accident? I've got a Desire for 1 year now with AMOLED display.
Haven't heard about screen burn untill yesterday...
Didn't experienced it either...

Upvote 0

Okay, there's AMOLED, Super AMOLED, and now Super AMOLED Plus from Samsung, all of which have had a number of improvements through the generational upgrade. Your Desire was AMOLED, as is my Incredible. Don't automatically expect that the same sensitivities exist in the newer technology. And BTW, LCDs can suffer from screen burn as well. You're not immune so you might want to be careful if you're leaving a static image on display for very long periods of time.

Upvote 0
Dont know about that, but I think there is certainly less chance it happening on an LCD screen than say a Super AMOLED or Super AMOLED plus screen.

You're probably right, but liquid crystals can suffer from position memory with static images. It's probably going to be difficult to discern anything in the average phone lifespan because the crystals are identical with red, blue, and green filters.

So I just checked my AMOLED screen and I have the faintest of image retention in the upper right where the clock in the status bar is when displaying an all blue screen. It's very difficult to see, but I can barely make it out across most of the brightness range. All other colors (including subpixel blended colors) show nothing. This makes sense that I can only see it in blue because it has a significantly shorter lifetime to half its brightness than red and green. Anyway, I'm into month 12 with the phone and that's ALL I can see. I'm now auto-hiding the status bar as this option is available in Launcher Pro settings.

You can't discount the possibility that Samsung improved the lifetime of the blue OLED component more in line with red and green with Super AMOLED Plus. Hard to know without it on the market yet. Will it eliminate retention? No. But you'll see complaints virtually disappear because time to retention will get pushed out and begin to exceed the lifespan of the device.

Based on my use of AMOLED for a year now, this is a non-issue. If you're that concerned, you may want to hold off until reports come out, or just go another route altogether. I do appreciate the info, though. I was totally unaware that retention was THAT widely reported.

Upvote 0
man I hope it doesnt get delayed, Ive got my galaxy s on ebay.:(

For those who keep checking deals daily this is a handy resource for keeping an eye on the latest UK retailer deals. comparemobiledeals.com/mobile-phones/Samsung/Galaxy-S2 They are changing quite frequently.

Still weighing up sim free vs contract and whether to pre-order or not.

I dont want to order and risk losing a better deal on launch, or wait it out and risk not getting the phone due to limited stock. Local guy in phone shop told me its one of the most popular pre-orders phones ever so stocks will be very limited. Decisions, Decisions. :thinking:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones