• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I have just upgraded from a s2 to an s3,On the s2 i could move an app from my phone to my sd card thru the applications settings or move back again,but on the s3 i am not given that option,the s3 is showing that the sd card is mounted,does the s3 automatically move them or is there something wrong with my sd card which was working ok in the s2,the sd memory is a scandisk 32g,any help appreciated

I have just upgraded from a s2 to an s3,On the s2 i could move an app from my phone to my sd card thru the applications settings or move back again,but on the s3 i am not given that option,the s3 is showing that the sd card is mounted,does the s3 automatically move them or is there something wrong with my sd card which was working ok in the s2,the sd memory is a scandisk 32g,any help appreciated

You can't move apps to an SD card. I believe that option was removed in an update but I could be wrong (unless you root the phone maybe?).

Upvote 0
so everything now goes onto the phone memory as i do not want to root my phone,but saying that my s2 had the same update and i could still use the SD card,so baasically i may aswell remove the SD card if its been made redundant by the update,or does the phone put other things onto it ??

You can still put all your music, pictures, videos and any other office files onto the SD card. I have a bunch of PDF, Excel and Word docs on mine.

Reactions: keithwill838
Upvote 0
so everything now goes onto the phone memory as i do not want to root my phone,but saying that my s2 had the same update and i could still use the SD card,so baasically i may aswell remove the SD card if its been made redundant by the update,or does the phone put other things onto it ??

Here is how I understand it. On the GS3, your application storage is dynamic. I currently have 2.73 gb taken up by applications, with 8.63 gb free. I have a 64 gb external SD card which is where I placed all my music, photos, movies etc. I currently have 132 applications installed which so far has taken up the 2.73 gb. My point is, don't be concerned about moving apps to SD, it's totally unnecessary with the GS3.

Upvote 0
Yes i finally figured that out thanks,but just one last question does the phone automatically put music and pictures you download onto the SD card,or would i have to do that by using my computer to drag and drop

Anything you download on the phone would have to be manually moved. For pictures that you take on the phone, there is a setting in the camera app to save to extSD.

Upvote 0
What you have to understand about the new way of using storage mate is that SD (or SdCard0) means the internal flash drive of the phone.. its like an in-built SD card and the card you insert is now named Ext Sd (external SD card). Apps etc are saved to SD as normal but that SD is the 16/32Gb chip inbeded in the s3.
Android wont read apps from Ext SD unless you hack it to swap both SD.
the Ext SD (added memory card) is intended for storing all your media files, SD is for apps etc.
Hope that made sense mate :)

Reactions: Ramer84015
Upvote 0
Yes i finally figured that out thanks,but just one last question does the phone automatically put music and pictures you download onto the SD card,or would i have to do that by using my computer to drag and drop

On your phones internet browser, when you download something it should give you a choice of where to put it but the default is the Downloads folder on SD (internal).
To move files/folders you can use a file explorer on the phone so no need to use PC. s3 has the "My Files" app pre-installed which is actualy not bad for simple stuff like that or use whatever file app you used on the s2 :thumbup:

Reactions: Ramer84015
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones