• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

barney_rebel

Android Enthusiast
Jul 30, 2011
Markham, Ontario
Two more months left on my contract.

I was on the phone, kept getting hot. I used the Cool Down feature of Clean Master (usually works well). While I kept using the phone, it shut off.

Now it won't turn on, tried a different battery, tried leaving the battery out, leaving it charging for a couple hours (red light won't even come on, doesn't even turn warm).

If I take the battery out, plug it in and do a factory reset, I momentarily get the red light. After a while, the red light goes away and nothing.

Places are asking $60 just to look at it. Used phones off kijiji are $120-130.

Should I even bother look at getting it fixed at this point?

Two more months left on my contract.

I was on the phone, kept getting hot. I used the Cool Down feature of Clean Master (usually works well). While I kept using the phone, it shut off.

Now it won't turn on, tried a different battery, tried leaving the battery out, leaving it charging for a couple hours (red light won't even come on, doesn't even turn warm).

If I take the battery out, plug it in and do a factory reset, I momentarily get the red light. After a while, the red light goes away and nothing.

Places are asking $60 just to look at it. Used phones off kijiji are $120-130.

Should I even bother look at getting it fixed at this point?

Sorry for the long not answered silence....

Would have been nice to know if you can get to Recovery or download mode.... ?
BUT....
IF you can't.... its bricked like mine was.
I Rebooted on a failed Custom Rom install NO Recovery or Download mode.
Only had Red light when plugged to charge with ac adapter.

So the only 2 things I could do beside cry....
I tried the Utube place att image on 16GB sd card with Win32DiscImage (?)
Restore Bricked S3 sd card.....<<-- do a search on utube.

If that don't work......
to go to ebay and get a $28 plus shipping both ways USPS (about 10 usd) or total of about $38 for Jtag repair from mipick22 who has excellent service.

I just sent mine in last monday and he mailed it back friday.

He put a detoxed rooted rom on it for me.

Again sorry for late reply.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0
Sorry for the long not answered silence....

Would have been nice to know if you can get to Recovery or download mode.... ?
BUT....
IF you can't.... its bricked like mine was.
I Rebooted on a failed Custom Rom install NO Recovery or Download mode.
Only had Red light when plugged to charge with ac adapter.

So the only 2 things I could do beside cry....
I tried the Utube place att image on 16GB sd card with Win32DiscImage (?)
Restore Bricked S3 sd card.....<<-- do a search on utube.

If that don't work......
to go to ebay and get a $28 plus shipping both ways USPS (about 10 usd) or total of about $38 for Jtag repair from mipick22 who has excellent service.

I just sent mine in last monday and he mailed it back friday.

He put a detoxed rooted rom on it for me.

Again sorry for late reply.

Hey man,

Thanks for the reply.

OK, this is what I did...

I asked around, it was $60 for anyone to even look at it, that's with no guarantee of even fixing the problem. I looked on kijiji, saw used phones that ranged from $100-$150.

I found a nice local guy selling one locked to my carrier for $130. It was in mint shape, running base android version, and it wasn't even used.

Only minuses were:
-missing charger
-tabs broken on the cover
-camera lens was scratched up (didn't notice it until i bought after)

I swapped the lens from my old camera, and now everything is good. I updated it, rooted it, restored everything from Kies and Titanium. I literally lost only like a month's worth of data. All good, and now I have an extra battery.

Anyways, not a technical fix, but my situation is fixed. Thanks for your response.

Reactions: Mikestony
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones