S3 In the washing machine.General

Last Updated:

  1. SteveFury

    SteveFury Member

    This post is just to say that unknowingly had my S3 in my coat pocket in the washing machine. I was alerted by the thumping sound in the dryer.

    Stopped the dryer and discovered the phone.
    I removed the 64gig card and my Hyperion 4200mah extended battery and put them in a plastic box with rice for 24hrs.

    The phone booted fine with its original battery after the 24hrs, but the camera was weird because of water droplets remaining under the glass in the lens area. Sound from the speaker was almost non-existent.
    My extended battery was destroyed and not recoverable.
    My 64gig card came up kinda weird, and after coaxing a bit had a full recovery.

    I further dried the phone on a vent which was not heated too much and after 2 days of drying on the heater it's back to 100%. Great camera and good loud speaker.

    Except for the accident, I think I came out pretty lucky despite the bad extended battery.

    javamann likes this.
  2. El Presidente

    El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

    Wow, first I've ever heard of any phone taking a hit like that and surviving. Shame about the battery, but at least the important stuff made it through unscathed. :)
  3. Raistlin1158

    Raistlin1158 Well-Known Member

    I normally use a computer screen cleaner to degrease mine :)
  4. WA_Bob

    WA_Bob VIP Member VIP Member

    Geeze! I kill pens in the washing machine. I don't even want to think of my phone! :ahhhhh:
  5. javamann

    javamann Well-Known Member

    Wow...thanks for this post...I'm sure the entire community appreciates it; we all know of stories where phones falling in the toilet meant kaput! This is what we need: an upbeat tale.

  6. Frisco

    Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

    Good to see a happy ending to that sort of story, Steve. ;)

    A high percentage of devices submerged can survive with full functionality if three main steps are taken:

    - Immediate taking out the removable items: battery, sim card, sd card.

    - Immediate immersion in dry, uncooked rice for 12 to 24 hours.

    - Following the rice regimen, liberal application of rubbing alcohol to all accessible areas, holes, ports and slots etc, which displaces remaining moisture, causing no harm and evaporating quickly.

    You didn't use the alcohol, but you had good fortune with the heater. I'd advise against that out of fear of damage to delicate parts. But, you came out golden. Good job. :)

Share This Page