• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S3 not syncing with Mac

Last night I installed iSyncr on my GSIII (US Cellular), and the desktop version 3.6 for my Macbook Pro (running 10.6.8.) I had tried using Samsung Kies with no luck. In reading the install instructions for iSyncr I went back and installed and then with the Kies uninstaller, I uninstalled Kies properly.

It was then very easy to sync my iTunes music with my GSIII. I am using the stock music player to listen to music, and all is working very well. The iSyncr app was updated recently to fix issues with the GSIII.:)

Upvote 0
I loaded kies on my macbook pro that did not have it loaded when I had 10.7
I used pacifist.app to get it to load. (trial version)

CharlesSoft — software you always wished someone would write

right click on the install kies file and choose pacifist.app
when in pacifist select the kies top file then click install.

BUT kies just sits there saying connecting with a spinning sync arrow
I tried to reload the driver by opening kies and going to the tools drop down and then selecting driver.

Still nothing

I will edit my other post to reflect that one should have kies loaded prior to upgrading to 10.8, that does work for me.

You may want to try these to see if it works for you, but I doubt it, but still worth a try, a note that I do not have itunes properly configured on my macbook as I dont want it on there, so maybe it would work for you?

let us know
best of luck

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting your findings! I think we just need to wait for samsung to pull their fingers out and make Kies work for ML. Perhaps we should all just email them so they'll take quicker action? I believe it's something to do with ML being the first OS X that's exclusively 64bit, thus drivers and such need to be rewritten to support the instruction set. Lion was 32 and 64 to get devs ready for the 64 bit switch, but I guess SOME just didn't bother! :p

Tbh, I can't actually remember why I wanted keys anymore heh. Playing with my new droid device for a week and I've already found good ways to transfer music, do backups, and sync other stuff over... but would still be nice for fw updates perhaps?

Upvote 0
I have a Mac (10.8), a Galaxy S3, and some music. I want to put the music (currently residing on the Mac) onto the Galaxy S3 for free. Seems simple right?

WWWRRRRROOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!

Tried a plethora of different programs:

Doubletwist: Nope. Galaxy S3 does not support USB Mass Storage (Seriously Samsung?). AirSync apparently works (although I'm sure it takes forever to put an entire library of songs onto a device), but you have to pay for it.

Tune4Mac MP4 Converter: This developer can barely speak English let alone make a decent program.

Isyncr: 20 song upload limit for the free version. Have heard awful things about this program as well.

Kies: Does not recognize my phone.

KiesAir: Same deal.

Android File Transfer: Make it three that don't recognize my phone.

TuneSync Server: Just plainly doesn't open.

NoteBurner M4V: Terrible.

Are Mac/Galaxy S3 users SOL? Or is there a way around this conundrum?

P.S. USB Debugging mode is enabled on my phone.

Upvote 0
Hi,
I had the same issue, I upgraded from 4S to S3, on the same day I upgraded my Macbook Air to Mountain Lion.

OSx will not mount the S3 because of the file system on the phone is different, so you cant sync this way.

But samsung have made an app to solve this. Its called Easy Phone Sync. Its in the Google play store. You also need to download the app for mac from the easyphonesync website (google it)
Run it on your phone, then on the Mac, and it mounts the phone, and syncs Itunes. It will even copy pics & contacts from your Iphone back up storted on the mac.

Only limitation, it will not copy DRM protected tracks & video to your phone. But itunes songs are now DRM free.

I did all this last night, worked a treat. Hope it helps.

Warren.

I tried the Play Store and scroll all the way but the Application with the above name is just not there unless may be it has another name.

Upvote 0
I tried the Play Store and scroll all the way but the Application with the above name is just not there unless may be it has another name.

I think I found your problem

a quote of the website

"Before you can use the Easy Phone Sync application on your PC and Mac it is important to check that the Easy Phone Sync app has been installed and run on your Samsung Galaxy device. The Galaxy Sync app is currently only available in the UK and is only supported on specific Samsung devices."

Upvote 0
Hi,
I had the same issue, I upgraded from 4S to S3, on the same day I upgraded my Macbook Air to Mountain Lion.

OSx will not mount the S3 because of the file system on the phone is different, so you cant sync this way.

But samsung have made an app to solve this. Its called Easy Phone Sync. Its in the Google play store. You also need to download the app for mac from the easyphonesync website (google it)
Run it on your phone, then on the Mac, and it mounts the phone, and syncs Itunes. It will even copy pics & contacts from your Iphone back up storted on the mac.

Only limitation, it will not copy DRM protected tracks & video to your phone. But itunes songs are now DRM free.

I did all this last night, worked a treat. Hope it helps.

Warren.

I'm currently in the process of using this program. It's taking about 3 minutes to sync a single song. I have 2800 in my library. Only 140 hours to sync. Wicked.

Upvote 0
is anyone having problems connecting to their mac? i cant connect for my life.

android file transfer fails
doubletwist fails
kies fails
isyncr fails

droidair works but its not what im looking for.
trying to sync my itunes playlist to phone :(

iSyncr USB will work for connecting to your Galaxy S3 to Mac, but you need to run the uninstaller as kmf posted.

Uninstall Samsung Kies

If you have an affinity for Kies (For some reason) but still want to sync iTunes playlists, use iSyncr + iSyncr WiFi - cheaper still than AirSync at $3.99 (AirSync by DT is 4.99) and USB syncing will, of course, be faster than WiFi. USB to G3 iSyncr can do, where DT relies on AirSync only.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrtstudio.iSyncr4Mac
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.jrtstudio.iSyncr.WiFi

Upvote 0
There is another thing that nobody seems to have flagged up yet - if you have updated your phone to the BLFB then Kies/Android File Transfer/Etc. WILL NOT WORK.

If you have BLFB you CANNOT connect to OSX by cable in any way that is useful. XNJB will let you connect, but its not designed for Android so is little use.

Yes, you can use Air Droid... but try copying an HD movie across using it!

Samsung really need to get their shit together and sort it out.

Upvote 0
I loaded kies on my macbook pro that did not have it loaded when I had 10.7
I used pacifist.app to get it to load. (trial version)

CharlesSoft — software you always wished someone would write

right click on the install kies file and choose pacifist.app
when in pacifist select the kies top file then click install.

BUT kies just sits there saying connecting with a spinning sync arrow
I tried to reload the driver by opening kies and going to the tools drop down and then selecting driver.

Still nothing

I will edit my other post to reflect that one should have kies loaded prior to upgrading to 10.8, that does work for me.

You may want to try these to see if it works for you, but I doubt it, but still worth a try, a note that I do not have itunes properly configured on my macbook as I dont want it on there, so maybe it would work for you?

let us know
best of luck

I have now 2 other computers running kies on Mac osx 10.8.1
Use pacifist above to load the main kies then open kies. Check for updates and do the kies update ,reboot mac

Do all that with no phone connected.

After reboot connect the phone with it unlocked

And kies should detect the phone in a few minutes if not toggle camera mode back to media device
Or follow my step by step guide above, I will edit it later for the 10.8 setup

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones