• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S3 or Nexus 4?????

m4lcs67

Lurker
Apr 29, 2013
My current contract is coming to an end soon and I am looking for a new handset and originally a friend of mine showed me his newly purchased Nexus 4. It really looks the business. I was originally looking at a Galaxy S3. They both have near identical specs, but there are some thing that are better on the s3 (expandable memory via sd card, slightly larger screen, longer standby/talk time etc). Whereas the Nexus 4 leads with cheaper handset price, latest version of Android, twice as much ram, 360 degree camersa etc. There is really a cigarette papers width between them. It is going to be a tough one making a decision.
I have used this side by side comparison to try and choose, but it is so close.
Samsung Galaxy S3 Specs vs LG Nexus 4 Specs in Smartphones

My current contract is coming to an end soon and I am looking for a new handset and originally a friend of mine showed me his newly purchased Nexus 4. It really looks the business. I was originally looking at a Galaxy S3. They both have near identical specs, but there are some thing that are better on the s3 (expandable memory via sd card, slightly larger screen, longer standby/talk time etc). Whereas the Nexus 4 leads with cheaper handset price, latest version of Android, twice as much ram, 360 degree camersa etc. There is really a cigarette papers width between them. It is going to be a tough one making a decision.
I have used this side by side comparison to try and choose, but it is so close.
Samsung Galaxy S3 Specs vs LG Nexus 4 Specs in Smartphones

It really boils down to how you like the OS. A vanilla version of Android and quick updates, or Android dressed up in TouchWize. While many people don't enjoy TW, I personally utilize most of its features daily, and I'm very happy with it. Nexus was a bit too simplified for me. I do understand that for most of the features, one could find an app in the store. I just prefer to have it all as part the TW, than download bunch of independent apps.

Also I do fair bit of lapse photography, so it was crucial for me to get external storage, and swap SD cards at will, and 4 spare batteries.

I do like plain Android, so I got myself the 7 and 10 inch tablets, and they are great. I just wanted a little bit more from the phone, feature-wise :)

Samsung Galaxy S3 In-Depth Software Features, Tour, Apps & Changes (Touchwiz Nature UI + ICS) - YouTube

Upvote 0
Although i love expandable memory, id be v tempted by the Nexus.
As mentioned, s3 has a better camera (although i use the Nexus camera software in mine)
Nexus is more powerful but an overclocked s3 can match it.
I dont mind parts of toughwiz so ive used a TW based customrom with the bloat (s-voice etc) removed and ive modded the colour scheme.
Ive always wanted a Nexus device so ill probly get a Nexus 7.
Suppose its down to how important camera, removable battery/memory are to you. Also the s3 display is stunning (i havent seen the Nexus 4's)
If youre the rooting, modding type, you can have vanilla android on the s3 but updates will be far quicker on the Nexus.
I think the Nexus 4 is the best looking but thats a matter of taste :)

Upvote 0
"Also I do fair bit of lapse photography, so it was crucial for me to get external storage"

Do you use an app for the time lapse photography? If so, what app? I am also interested in doing this.

Thanks,

Bob

It's call LapseIt Pro.

I love this app. I tried few other products and this one top them all.
There is a light version which you could try, it has all the features, except for the ability to save videos in high resolution.

cheers

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
So cool. do you use a tripod or something mate?
Is there any way to do the opposite so you get smooth slow motion or is that limited by the fps on a phone?

I use something like that:
Amazon.com: 30cm Flexible Cell Phone Camera Tripod For Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-i9300: Cell Phones & Accessories

With flexible legs, so I can attach it to a pillar or shelves.

In regard to smoothness, I don't think you can get GoPro kind of slow motion, but if you set interval to a 1 second and export it to be lengthy, the lapse is quite smooth.

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones