• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Hi,

I've had an S3 on T-Mobile for a couple of months now. It has never given me the option to update and I don't have the 'Software Update' or 'Developer ?Settings?' buttons which I have read is down to T-Mobile being a brilliant carrier and removing it. I have read that if you update via Kies it should allow you to update as soon as Samsung release an update. I installed Kies and connected my S3 and it said there was an update available (brilliant!) but all it ended up doing was updating the kernal. I am still stuck on 4.0.4 and Kies says I am up to date. Apart from rooting the phone is there anything I can do to actually get the current android version? I have tried searching the forums but I can't seem to find a conclusive answer, sorry if I have missed something.

Cheers

It is true. It does not affect all T-Mobile S3's but it is something which T-Mobile/Orange/EE have added to some handsets for unknown reasons. I highly doubt a factory reset will cure this issue as this is how it came from the factory. It is part of the bloatware which for some reason was added to some handsets but not all.

Has anyone else got this problem and is anyone aware of a solution?

Cheers

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones