1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

S3 thinks earphones are connectedSupport

1. softero

softero New Member

I was at the hot tub with some of my roommates and had my phone off to the side, because we had been trying to get a hold of one of our friends who was out tonight. One of my roommates saw a dead bug and splashed it out.. right onto my phone.

It didn't have any problems right away, but about five minutes later I glanced at it and noticed that it was under the rather false impression that earphones were connected. First instincts were to restart the phone. This didn't fix it, so I tried plugging in headphones and then unplugging them. Sound came out of the headphones when they were plugged in, but the phone didn't recognize when they were unplugged. After googling, I made a call and set the phone to speakerphone, which successfully took it off headset mode.

However, once the call ended, I noticed that I could no longer get headphones to be detected when I DID plug something in, though sound does come out of the main speakers now.

So I restarted my phone again, and voila, it is back in headphone mode again and won't leave it.

What should I do?

Advertisement
    :
  2. davidmanvell

davidmanvell Well-Known Member

Id bring it in for service and have your bug squashing friend pay for it.
  3. GTWalling

GTWalling Well-Known Member

Pull the battery, put in a bag of dry Rice. Let set in bag for 24 hours to see if it will pull the water out of the earphone plug. Do not use air or blow dryer as it may force water down into the phone.
  4. AbbyNormalRN

AbbyNormalRN Member

You can get silica gel at craft stores and put your phone in that. That works well at pulling moisture out...that's how people dry flowers.
  5. sophieee

sophieee New Member

When I was on holiday I dropped my phone in the sea, salt water! Very bad! I put it in rice for 3 days and let the insides dry out. Everything on my phone was working after apart from that it said earphones were connected when they weren't and I couldn't hear calls or play anything out loud. I thought it would never work again, until I got a pin and carefully moved it around the inside of the earphone socket and then it suddenly worked apsolutely fine. So try a paperclip or pin and it will help to get any grit or dirt that's in.the socket lose.��
  6. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Well-Known Member Contributor

7. gordonfink

gordonfink Well-Known Member

If it's water, you can probably take the back off and clean it with alcohol. At worst, replace the headphone jack connector, which isn't too big a deal.

Bag or rice isn't going to work - you need to take it apart and clean it.
    BRAINZ2013 likes this.