• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S3 thinks earphones are connected

softero

Lurker
Sep 29, 2012
I was at the hot tub with some of my roommates and had my phone off to the side, because we had been trying to get a hold of one of our friends who was out tonight. One of my roommates saw a dead bug and splashed it out.. right onto my phone.

It didn't have any problems right away, but about five minutes later I glanced at it and noticed that it was under the rather false impression that earphones were connected. First instincts were to restart the phone. This didn't fix it, so I tried plugging in headphones and then unplugging them. Sound came out of the headphones when they were plugged in, but the phone didn't recognize when they were unplugged. After googling, I made a call and set the phone to speakerphone, which successfully took it off headset mode.

However, once the call ended, I noticed that I could no longer get headphones to be detected when I DID plug something in, though sound does come out of the main speakers now.

So I restarted my phone again, and voila, it is back in headphone mode again and won't leave it.

What should I do?

When I was on holiday I dropped my phone in the sea, salt water! Very bad! I put it in rice for 3 days and let the insides dry out. Everything on my phone was working after apart from that it said earphones were connected when they weren't and I couldn't hear calls or play anything out loud. I thought it would never work again, until I got a pin and carefully moved it around the inside of the earphone socket and then it suddenly worked apsolutely fine. So try a paperclip or pin and it will help to get any grit or dirt that's in.the socket lose.��

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones