s4 Auto-BrightnessSupport

1. jaysmd

jaysmd New Member

First time user of a Samsung phone.
    Had the s-view cover on from day one and the auto brightness adjust worked great didn't even notice it switching between lighting.
    Just recently I changed to a normal cover and noticed with my auto brightness ticked I get a 3-5 second lag on waking the phone.. It will be really dark and I have to wait before the screen adjusts and I can use it.
    Is this common in these phones? Did the S-View cover really make a difference? I'm curious to know, even though its only a minor issue its still of annoyance.
    Thanks guys!

Advertisement
    :
  2. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

I don't have an S-View cover so I cannot comment on that but I also have a considerable delay between a material change in ambient light levels and the change in screen brightness.

It's a little annoying but I once had a laptop that had no delay at all and the brightness used to flicker when I just moved in front of the screen, which was even more annoying.
  3. jaysmd

jaysmd New Member

Thank you for your quick response

If sitting on a table in the light already the phone wont have a delay in adjusting, but im one of those who pulls their phone in and out of the pocket and thats when i notice the delay. I guess im more trying to establish if this is a common or known behaviour of the galaxy series
  4. abevuk

abevuk Active Member

I've found that auto brightness kills my battery....with a fab screen like the S4 I just turn it up and leave it....
  5. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

That's interesting. Do you find that having the screen bright all the time really uses less than having it change? I don't like auto-brightness at all but I assumed (reasonably I think) that it would help to maximise the rather mediocre battery life.
  6. veccster

veccster Well-Known Member

I agree with Lotus...I thought that was the entire purpose of the auto brightness setting.

I wouldn't think it uses juice to turn down the screen brightness...it just lowers the setting. Unless turning it off disables that sensor but I doubt that because other features use it as well...
  7. abevuk

abevuk Active Member

Just a tip that a friend passed to me.... For me it works.

I'm no techy but apparently it's all to do the sensor thingy that senses the brightness around the handset and auto adjusts the handset accordingly... Apparently this is quite power intensive... Like I said I'm no expert but it certainly works for me. :)