S4 Build Quality worst everGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Tek20

Tek20 Active Member

I just wanted to share my most recent experience with the Samsung Galaxy S4 (T-Mobile Edition).

The first one I purchased had Bluetooth issues with all Bluetooth devices. The range was about 1 foot. On top of that the paint was chipped on the chrome bezel right out of the box.

I returned that phone for another one the next day. The second S4 had a huge bulge in the side of it. This is the part that looks like metal. Even the reps at the store had never seen that before.

I have owned many Samsung products and have a company S2. I have to say that this is some of the worst quality I have ever seen from Samsung.

Anyone else have similar problems?

2. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

No. Not a single issue with mine really. Nice, polished, and running smoothly.

Can't say the same for the battery, but I'm positive that's an OS issue. Edit: This may have been resolved with the recent OS OTA update.
  3. SAL8116

SAL8116 Well-Known Member

No issues with my AT&T 32 GB model.
  4. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Well-Known Member

My Sprint model hasn't given me or my wife any issues.
  5. Shocky

Shocky On Probation

I have a very slight bulge just under the power button but it barely noticeable, took me a few weeks before I noticed it so it's not a big deal.

Otherwise, no problems at all.
  6. Goodspike

Goodspike Well-Known Member

No problem on two S4 devices.
  7. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

Samsung has sold millions of S4s and, on the basis of only two phones, you conclude that this is the worst build quality ever?

That doesn't stand up to even the slightest degree of scrutiny.

In my experience, 100% of S4s (i.e. my sample of 1) are absolutely fault free with excellent build quality.
  8. itsallgood

itsallgood Well-Known Member

No issues with my S4. (Although I keep mine in an Outterbox Commuter case at all times.)
  9. zendroid

zendroid Guest

I'm very picky about build quality, my iPhone 5 is a reasonable benchmark. Frankly in all honesty I find my Galaxy S4 every bit as nice.

With all due modesty I'm highly knowledgeable about the materials used in today's smartphones. The plastics Samsung uses are excellent, yet the myth that's been propagated is that they're cheap & inferior to the Aluminum that Apple & HTC uses.

It's simply a testament to Apple's marketing expertise, as well as Pro-Apple reporters & a heavily biased blogosphere. It's no secret Apples influence runs far and wide. With a cult like following built, cultivated & grown to great proportions by the late Steve Jobs, it's no wonder vast numbers flock to buy anything with the Apple logo.
  10. SebaKL

SebaKL Well-Known Member

I had similar problem with the first, 16gb model. I returned to shop and asked them to call me when the lte 32 arrive. Since I got the lte, not a single complain.
    Perhaps you have an early, rush model.
  11. speedlever

speedlever Well-Known Member

While I am not knowledgeable about the materials used, I fully concur with your assessment. ;) We have 3 iPhone 5's and 1 GS4 in my home. The GS4 is every bit as excellent in build quality as any of the iP5's.
  12. Goodspike

I think there's more to it than that. Some people still have a 1960's mentality and think that plastic is an inferior product.
  13. Goodspike

The tech press sucks in general, and has for years. So again, I don't think it's Apple specific. Years ago I would have said the same thing you are about reviews of Microsoft Word.
  14. zendroid

zendroid Guest

You've brought up an excellent point. Old myths die hard.

An example is all the complaining that's done about the thin, flexible rear battery covers of the Galaxy S3 /S4 & Note series.

Fact is... these covers are a great engineering accomplishment. Light, strong, durable & a precise fit, they are to be celebrated as opposed to criticized.

But no, the aggressive naysayers are too short sighted, close minded, and eager to assume they know better than the highly skilled engineers that designed these excellent rear covers.
  15. Goodspike

And the suggestion that you should make something like that out to aluminum is laughable.
  16. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

I completely agree with this.

When you take the cover off (and it was exactly the same with the S2) it feels like an incredibly flimsy piece of plastic with almost no substance to it. Put it back where it belongs though, and you can see it is a perfect fit, smooth and even all the way round and light without being delicate.

The removable back is one of my favourite features of the S4.
    zendroid likes this.
  17. Sydney99

Sydney99 Well-Known Member

Google build quality of HTC one. There's a shocking you tube video. But most rave about its quality.

Very few s4 owners seem to moan about quality.

At the end of the day you might be unlucky and get a dodgy one. It could happen with any phone you buy. It's just bad luck. That's life. Send it back and get it replaced.
  18. Hornplayer

Hornplayer New Member

In a word...NO
  19. itsallgood

itsallgood Well-Known Member

I never thought I would even upgrade to a 5" screen phone. (I was totally against it.) They where to big to handle, one handed and being to heavy. Well, I was dead wrong and I'm glade I was. I love the screen size and feel of my S4. 95% of the time I can operate one handed. It is so light in weight, I almost couldn't believe it. (My Atrix 4G, which was a combination of metal and plastic build with a 4" screen was heavier.)