S4 Canadian Virgin Mobile - Rooting Troubles

1. Farseen

Farseen Member

Hi All,

I've spent all day trying to figure this out. I'm a pretty tech-saavy dude too, so I've finally decided to join this forum to post for help.

Carrier
    Virgin Mobile

Model Number:
    SGH-1337M

Baseband Version
    I337MVLUAMG1

Kernel Version
    3.4.0-897376

Build Number
    JDQ39.I337MVLUAMG1

I've followed numerous guides and even 'successfully' rooted my phone using Odin, however when I launch applications like 'RootCheck' and 'Titanium' they both tell me it's not rooted, even though everything went as planned.

My gut feeling, based on some research, is that the stock firmware is overwriting my rooting stuff (I don't know the terminology yet!) when it boots up.

Anyway, I really want to root this bad boy! I just switched to the S4 after 6 long years of iPhones so I'm real stoked to get it feeling the way I want.

Could someone provide me a link to some proper files? I think that's where I get lost.

I currently already have downloaded and attempted to root using this:

- Samsung USB Driver (just verifying I do have this)
    - Odin v3.07
    - CF-Auto-Root-jfltecan-jfltevl-sghi337m.tar

Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

ironass likes this.
  3. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

Hi Farseen!

You don't mention in your post that after flashing the CF-Root kernel you have SuperSU installed on your phone in the app drawer which is something I would normally expect after flashing that kernel.

If it is not installed, download it, using the link, from the Play Store and see if that helps.
    Mikestony likes this.
  4. Farseen

Farseen Member

Thanks for the responses.

My model is a Samsung Galaxy S4 on Virgin Mobile (carrier).

I have put in SuperSU and it seems to open fine without giving me any errors, but looks quite empty in general.

I'm going to try that link you posted now, it seems to be specific to my device.

The guide I used can be viewed here:

Root I337MVLUAMG1 Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-i337M 4.2.2 Update - Androidayos
    Mikestony likes this.
  5. Farseen

Farseen Member

Just tried the 'Multitool' and I get 'Failure' attached image:
    [​IMG]
  6. Mikestony

Is "usb debugging" enabled?
  7. Farseen

Farseen Member

Mikestony likes this.
  8. Mikestony

NICE!!!
    If you don't mind, may I move this into the AT&T forum so that when others search, they can find what your solution was?
    I"ll p.m. you the new location link;)
  9. Farseen

Farseen Member

Only thing is I'm not AT&T? Virgin Mobile? Unless they own them...lol:confused:
  10. Mikestony

Yeah true but your model closely related to the at&t model rather than the international model.

That's my train of thought albeit an old steam train;)
  11. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

I think that what Mikestony is saying, and I agree with him, is that your model of handset, SGH-1337M, is the Canadian variant of the AT&T model number SGH-1337. Samsung add an, "M" to denote their Canadian versions. It has nothing to do with carriers as such.
    Mikestony likes this.
  12. Farseen

Farseen Member

Thank you for clarifying that! I understand now, and yes, feel free to move this thread!
    Mikestony likes this.
  13. Mikestony

Done:)
    ironass likes this.