• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help s4 charging problems

malibuog305

Lurker
Jun 26, 2013
so i have a s4 i just got it about a week ago and i went to charge it last night and it won't connect. I tried different chargers and nothing seemed to work. Sometimes it'll say its charging for a brief second then go back to not charging. Does anyone know what is going on here or how i can fix it without having to pay someone $30 just to look at it? thank you

Other phone chargers ought to work but if they are old ones the plugs may have become worn. Does the cable feel like it is firmly in place when you connect it and does it wobble at all?

If the charger(s) work with other phones and the plug feels firmly connected to the phone, there is a good chance you have a hardware problem with your phone.

The fact that you aren't using the original charger shouldn't matter assuming that one of the other chargers you have used isn't damaged and has broken your phone.

Upvote 0
It's possible that the phone just may not like the carger you are using (due to different voltage/amps/cable quality). Mine works with my Motorola chargers, but for example, my old Motorola Razr Maxx would not accept almost any other data cable other than the original. I have seen the charger incompatibility in other phones - Samsung & LG in particular.

In short, I'd strongly recommend you try it with an original charger first, before you explore other options.

Upvote 0
The point is that some phones require a minimum voltage like 2.1v or something compared to other older phones with less voltage 1v. I bet that's your problem. You can always take your phone to a cell phone store and ask to try a charger to see if that's the problem. If so, then go online and get a cheap one.

Upvote 0
The point is that some phones require a minimum voltage like 2.1v or something compared to other older phones with less voltage 1v. I bet that's your problem.
It's USB so it's 5V like all USB. If you mean 2.1A, then even that's more than the Samsung charger can put out and even 1A is still a fairly high current for a USB charger. A lot are only 500mA.

I think the important point here is that these chargers used to work with the OP's S4 and now they don't. It's worth trying with an official charger if possible but my S4 seems to work with any USB power source.

Upvote 0
I think the important point here is that these chargers used to work with the OP's S4 and now they don't. It's worth trying with an official charger if possible but my S4 seems to work with any USB power source.

I misunderstood the OP's statement - I thought he said the chargers worked with the old phones.

If they used to work on your S4 and now they don't, the USB port may have gotten messed up. Rather than shelling out to fix it, you can go with a wireless charging kit, widely available on ebay & amazon (data transfer would be another issue). If you register your phone on the Samsung website, you get a 50% off coupon that you can use to get the wireless charging cover and charging pad. With the discount, it'll be like $45. If you get your order up to $49.99 (coupon is good for up to 5 items), then free shipping too.

However, I would still try it out with an original charger. Don't rule out the battery having gone bad too.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones