S4 FM RadioGeneral

Last Updated:

1. Xxmen

Xxmen Well-Known Member

I notice in the review from GSM Arena that the S4 does not have a FM Radio. Would it be possible to install a backup radio from an HTC or any radio to the S4 like any app?

Advertisement
  2. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

If it doesn't have the hardware in the phone to pick up FM signals then an app isn't going to do anything.
    Xxmen likes this.
  3. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender Moderator

Otherwise any radio app (tune in) would suffice perfect enough ;)
    Xxmen likes this.
  4. trackball

trackball Well-Known Member

If you want to listen to MLB (or other sports perhaps?) you will need something that picks up the waves because of internet streaming exclusivity rights. If you aren't into sports though, the internet radio apps are fine.
    Xxmen likes this.
  5. Xxmen

Xxmen Well-Known Member

Exactly. certain stations are not on the internet radio and places with bad coverage will be a problem.:mad:
  6. CafeKampuchia

CafeKampuchia Well-Known Member

Yeah, this is the one thing that disappoints me about the S4 (besides same design as last year). But after I see that 1080 Super Amoled screen I'll probably forget about it :D
  7. Gearu

Gearu Well-Known Member

No FM Radio? WHAT!? You cannot be serious. I'll assume the Exynos version does have one...
  8. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

Why assume that?
  9. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

Maybe because the International S3, sporting the exynos quad core cpu had an FM radio, but North American variants with the Qualcomm chips didn't.
    Hadron likes this.
  10. Hadron

Ah, right.
  11. CafeKampuchia

CafeKampuchia Well-Known Member

12. Xxmen

Xxmen Well-Known Member

13. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

FM radio requires a radio transceiver chip with that support. Unlike phone radios where modem support may be processor dependent, I'd be surprised to see this on one variant but not another.

Never say never, just saying.
    Xxmen likes this.
  14. Guitardoc64

Guitardoc64 Well-Known Member

On my EVO 3D, which does have FM radio, I opened the app maybe twice in almost 2 years.
  15. I do want a FM radio on the phone.
  16. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me

This is me right here. Any phone I've had with built in FM radio may have been used twice; 3x's tops.
  17. Hadron

Mobile-review's review of the Octa variant (translation) says that there is no FM radio.
    EarlyMon likes this.
  18. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Well-Known Member

If its not about news / sports etc. - have a look at di.fm :)
  19. LookSir,Droids

LookSir,Droids Well-Known Member

FM radio is so... old school ;-)

I get what you're saying though..

My guess is they just want you to stream everything now? As in Pandora etc
  20. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon Moderator

I have a few very good local stations, when played on FM, the battery lasts forever.

Oh well. :(
  21. BlackDynamite

BlackDynamite Well-Known Member

That's about 2 more times than I've opened it.

An fm broadcast radio would be cool though so I could easily play audio from my phone on any fm receiver.
  22. Wolfedude88

Wolfedude88 Well-Known Member

Which is bad for me because of no longer having unlimited data, I would prefer to have a FM radio. But I will live without it.
  23. eugenerudenko

eugenerudenko Well-Known Member

Here's a review I wrote for one of the Android sites, and unfortunately, there're no FM radio in neither of two version of S4
  24. JohnJSal

JohnJSal Well-Known Member

Does this mean apps like TuneIn won't work, or is this a different type of service that doesn't rely on an FM signal? What exactly *won't* you be able to do on the S4 without an FM receiver/transmitter?
  25. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

It just means that you won't be able to listen to FM radio, local broadcasts. You should be able to use any streaming apps just fine since they use the data connection.

It's an important feature for some people, though. Everyone has their own requirements.
    ardchoille and JohnJSal like this.