• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

crshelton21

Lurker
Sep 12, 2013
hello, lets go ahead and get this out of the way.. Ive been a long time faithful to apple for several years now and have finally decided to make the switch. I found a supposable "new" Samsung S4 on ebay.. so what the heck? why not! So i bought it. It arrived yesterday...

I got the phone out and yes, it looked like a brand new phone. no scratches etc. I turned it on and it skipped the setup part. I remembered on the auction the seller stated he had turned the phone on 1 time and that was it. No big deal, right?

I attempted to transfer my verizon service over to the phone and was having some problems in doing so..I tried online first... kept popping up and error..

I then called technical support and talked with a lady there and found out that my SIM card in the phone was tied to another number. ok now im told i just need a new SIM card to attach to my number.... so the wild goose chase continues.......

i go to verizon and they take care of putting the new card in the phone and seem to be having problems with it.. they told me that now the new SIM card wont work!?? so we tried factory resets, turning off, turning on, making sure the new SIM card was in correctly; and every time we turned the phone on it said "No SIM card recognized", or "make sure its inserted correctly" or something like that. Verizon stated there was a possibility that it couldve been rooted and therefore wouldnt accept any other SIM.

So now i have an S4 that works perfectly except that it will not connect to my phone number nor be activated in service.

Does anyone know of anything else i can do?!

Hi there, crshelton21, and welcome to Android Forums. We're glad you're here. :)

I found a supposable "new" Samsung S4 on ebay..
What about going through eBay to resolve this? Starting first with the seller. If they don't come up with a reasonable solution, escalate up so eBay gets involved. No reputable seller wants to have negative/bad interactions with buyers.

Moved to Galaxy S4 board.

Upvote 0
Does anyone know of anything I could try? iPhone 5 screen I'd busted so I am more than ready to be using the s4 lol.

Another odd thing. I looked up the "secret number" online that gets you to the service mode menu. And either number did not work!??
(I googled how to make the SIM card work and that was the first step in doing it.)

Just an odd observation. I feel like there is a setting I could change and this thing work perfectly. I honestly do not believe verizon "could not do anything about it. "

Upvote 0
A resolution through eBay is your best bet. While its been a long time, the past couple of phones I sold had the payments held for weeks so buyer could ensure it was fully functional- when I looked this up, it is ebay's policy to do this on certain items like mobile phones, probably due to the probability of so many stolen pines out there.

Upvote 0
hello, lets go ahead and get this out of the way.. Ive been a long time faithful to apple for several years now and have finally decided to make the switch. I found a supposable "new" Samsung S4 on ebay.. so what the heck? why not! So i bought it. It arrived yesterday...

Yay another convert :D I moved over in mid August and moved to the Galaxy S4, And I am Loving it, :);)

Surely if you have bought a "new" phone this phone seems to be faulty so Ebay should be able to organise a refund, as normally the first port of call for warranty claims is to go back to the seller. That's what the rules are in the UK, and that applies to anything - items bought in person from shops etc, its our consumer law.

Hope you get it sorted as its a lovely phone :smokingsomb:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones