• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S4 Instagram problems

Majio

Lurker
May 3, 2013
Idk if its just me but my Instagram photos come all whacked out when posted from the S4. I cropped a pic and posted, it came out looking like notebook paper and white noise had a baby. Also adding filter enhancements makes my pictures turn a bright neon green. Any idea what's going on?

Idk if its just me but my Instagram photos come all whacked out when posted from the S4. I cropped a pic and posted, it came out looking like notebook paper and white noise had a baby. Also adding filter enhancements makes my pictures turn a bright neon green. Any idea what's going on?

Cropping a portrait picture fails miserably I've noticed. It allows about a third of the picture to be shown and you get a square as a result. Some of the enhancements don't work very well. I'm guessing Instagram hasn't yet updated to be compatible with the S4, as is the issue with a lot of apps I'm currently using, e.g. Draw Something and Angry Birds, which scale horribly at the moment!

Wait a little bit and they should update with compatibility for this new device.

Edit: Also welcome to the forums!

Upvote 0
It looks like the update last night fixed the problem. However, they also got rid of the "sun" icon on the editor tab (after you choose and crop a photo). I used that every once in a while, so it sucks it's gone. But at least they fixed the advanced option high quality upload feature with the GS4.

You guys can go back and check that box now, it's working.

Upvote 0
It looks like the update last night fixed the problem. However, they also got rid of the "sun" icon on the editor tab (after you choose and crop a photo). I used that every once in a while, so it sucks it's gone. But at least they fixed the advanced option high quality upload feature with the GS4.

You guys can go back and check that box now, it's working.

*reads part of the thread, unchecks boxes. Keeps reading, checks boxes*

Also, it hasn't fixed all the issues identified in the OP or my post. I didn't have troubles uploading before, but I have a very small box to work with when cropping and there's a green tinge to lots of the effects, still.

Upvote 0
I own a S4 and I am not experiencing any of these issues. The last update fixed the "high quality" issue where it wouldn't even upload your picture, instead it uploaded a notebook paper looking thing. Weird. But I have high quality checked in the settings and it uploads just fine for me.

I know personally I don't use the IG camera. I have that option unchecked. So when I choose to upload a picture to IG I can either choose from my gallery or choose to take a picture with the S4's stock camera. Even when cropping it comes out fine as far as quality. The only annoyance I see is that portrait pictures seem to be in landscape mode. I noticed this on a test picture. But quality was always there.

Upvote 0
I have the same issue. Any pictures I took portrait are automatically put in landscape mode. Super annoying. Anyone know how to fix this so Instagram stops fixing all my pictures to be landscape?

Instagram limits all photos to square shapes, regardless what orientation they were taken in. Squares keep the feeds uniform. Even photos taken in landscape have their sides chopped off to fit the square shape restrictions.

Ways around this issue is to either take the photo originally with Instagram's built-in camera, crop the photo you take, or do what I do and take screenshots of your photos. It's dumb, I hate the square limit too, but it's a workaround. This is how I do it:

If the photo was originally taken in landscape, while viewing the photo in the gallery, I hold my phone in portrait orientation (like you normally would hold a phone) and take a screen shot. That way I can crop the photo into a square, yet still show the entire photo. For those photos originally taken in portrait, I hold the phone sideways before taking the screenshot. I then crop and upload. It's dumb, but it's a way of getting around the square limitation issue.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones