S4 Price!!!!General

1. bonerp

bonerp Well-Known Member

Advertisement
    :
  2. Gomjaba

Gomjaba Well-Known Member

And that's even just the 16GB model. I paid 499 for the Garnet Red one at CPW - but 600+ .. Thanks I'll pass. But given the free option with contract you can see that they aren't interested in selling sim free.
  3. NineToTheSky

NineToTheSky Well-Known Member

Let's hope that they are just taking a punt. And you can't even get the free tablet with the SIM free. All the reports I've read have said it would be in the
  4. Gomjaba

To be honest, it is good marketing .. Maybe they hope for similar hypes you see with the iPhones where people pay stupid money on eBay. "Oh, I can get it first day of its release so I don't mind spending
  5. NineToTheSky

I've just seen that Amazon are now taking pre-orders at
  6. Gomjaba

7. RichSz

RichSz Not Entitled VIP Member

I'm not very familiar with pricing differences between the US and the UK, but $950US is insane! I'm planning on buying one outright but won't spend that much, it's a deal breaker. It'll be interesting to see how US pricing will be.

So far all I've heard is AT&T is subsidizing at $250 for a 2 year contract which is $50 higher than the S3.
  8. NineToTheSky

The S3 didn't come down in price for a long time. In fact, I think it is only recently, probably because the S4 is on its way. I may very well stick with my S3. (But I am tempted by the Asus Padfone Infinity :))

But I can't understand this pricing policy - it's insane.
  9. Gomjaba

Well if the S4 costs the same after the pre-order stage then they certainly made my decision a lot easier - whether I buy one or not... I re-consider in September at contract renewal ...
  10. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

I bought the S3 from Carphone Warehouse last June for
  11. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

The S3 was
  12. NineToTheSky

13. Hadron

Hadron Well-Known Member Contributor

It's not uncommon for pre-release prices to be silly. As has been said, if it's still at that level when stock is available then we can start getting upset.

Note for Americans: prices in the UK include 20% sales tax, so that's more like $800 the way you quote prices. And it's the off-contract price. It is however more than a 32GB iPhone 5, and more than
    Android26 likes this.
  14. B2L

B2L Well-Known Member

To import the international version from Negri it's $798 for the 16GB. The imported versions are typically $100-$200 over the cost of buying them outright from a carrier.

So I'm guessing it will likely be $600-$650.
    Android26 likes this.
  15. Cobravision

Cobravision Well-Known Member

$249 with contract is going to seriously impact GS4 sales. Either that or people will move to Tmo, who is offering the GS4 for $99 upfront.
  16. TheSuper

TheSuper Well-Known Member

Oh my god! [​IMG] A 16GB sim-free S4 for
  17. Gearu

Gearu Well-Known Member

I think Carphone Warehouse have fallen in love with themselves, thinking they are some high class operation. I have not seen any other retailers trying to rip people off with the S4 price yet, CPW need to be named/shamed/punished by whatever watchdog/tribunal you have in the UK.
  18. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

$200 to $250 for a subsidized just-released flagship phone is about what I would expect to pay for one in the USA. I don't know why people in the US are whining about the $200 to $250 price tag. I don't mind it, I'll buy it anyways.
    CafeKampuchia and treb1797 like this.
  19. treb1797

treb1797 Well-Known Member

Totally agree. I remember having to pay $299 when I bought my DROID Charge almost 2 years ago on it's launch day, so $200 - $250 for the S4 seems very fair.

Can't please everybody I guess.:(
  20. The price really frustrates me.If it is real, then I need to go with a contract with a cheap price..
  21. CafeKampuchia

CafeKampuchia Well-Known Member

The marketing gurus at the big telecoms have totally pulled the wool over the masses eyes. Subsidized phones are a huge long-term loss. I'll pay more up-front for a non-subsidized phone here but save hundreds in the long run even if I eat the phone in depreciation after two years.

Some people are just now figuring this out:
    Is T-Mobile's new no-contract plan really a good deal? | Mobile - CNET News
  22. NineToTheSky

Unlocked Mobiles are selling it for
    pasqo83 likes this.
  23. trparky

trparky Well-Known Member

T-Mobile's price doesn't matter to me. Why? Because their coverage sucks in my area, worse than Verizon and I didn't think that was possible. AT&T Wireless is the only carrier that covers my area with usable coverage.
  24. pasqo83

pasqo83 Well-Known Member

Gutted about the pricing, I just reduced myself down to a HTC Wildfire, coming from an S2, then Iphone, Xperia S, then Xperia Z (sent it back as good as it is, imo I didnt like it). I like the change phones quite often and now I have the wildfire, I thought I'd save my money and actually have the S4 for a while thinking of around about a
  25. NineToTheSky

Never mind - stupid post.