• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Worth nothing to me I average 8-10 hours on a cycle

The difference between you and I is that I can't enjoy my devices without root/unlock. I like to tinker and can't really do that without my admin rights. :)

But that is how I get my great battery life as well.

Probably not but if I was I'd go for the Sony Xperia Z2.

Z2 looks great, but it's a bit on the pricey side.

Upvote 0
how are you getting 8 hour SOT????

Had to do some digging to find the screenshots I posted. I thought I had one where I hit 8 but found this one first:

http://androidforums.com/nexus-5-all-things-root/794726-kernel-franco-kernel-2.html#post6298536
Franco kernel and I believe cataclysm at the time.

Looks like I only made it to 7 hours, but with 12 % left I bet I could have eeked out another hour.

I never use my phone with the screen on that much (I usually listen to 4-6 hours of podcasts/music a day), so I'm not saying thats normal, but its possible.

Upvote 0
I think im getting s5.. but if I change my mind then I'm waiting for the N4.

s5 has the best android screen and camera to date. it's also waterproof for 30 minutes and I can unlock with my thumb print instead of a code or a pattern. the government already has my prints so i dont care about print privacy anymore.

I'm on verizon so nexus not an option but that doesn't bother me as it doesn't have all the goodies that the s5 has

the m8 metal will wear out and get scratched quickly. the camera is bad

Upvote 0

s5 has the best android screen and camera to date. it's also waterproof for 30 minutes and I can unlock with my thumb print instead of a code or a pattern. the government already has my prints so i dont care about print privacy anymore.

The Walt Disney Company has my fingerprint, so don't suppose it really matters if Google Inc. and the Samsung Group has it as well.

Upvote 0

I'm on verizon so nexus not an option but that doesn't bother me as it doesn't have all the goodies that the s5 has

Look who's back from the dead. Lol!

I'll give you that the Galaxy line of devices take very good photos. We'll chalk that up to having quality sensors. However, I disagree with you about the display. Samsung's SAMOLED display is good, but far from best. I think that all depends on your cup of tea though. I'm not one for over-saturated colors. I prefer the natural hue of colors provided by SLCD2 display on HTC devices.

Personally, I've always liked HTC over Samsung. It's all personal preference these days though. You like what you like. There's a poll on Android Central going on right now and a vast majority of their users are thinking that the M8 will trump the SGS5.

Upvote 0

I would consider the S5 because, wow they put out some awesome cameras, but touch wiz stinks and I'm not into paying $700 for a GPE of the GS5 that may hit the streets pretty soon, IMO the hardware doesn't justify the price. The hardware on the M8 does justify the price, and I like screen better on the M8, but the camera is just pure crap IMO. But that's just me and I'm not on VZW so I'm OK with my nexus 5 until either something comes out and knocks my socks off, or I'll just wait for what some are saying will be the last of the nexus phones with the nexus 6.

My cousin was faced with this scenario over the weekend, was coming from a GS4, hated touchwiz and complained about the phone freezing, etc. So after seeing how crappy the M8 camera was he decided to just order a nexus 5 and switch to at&t, he's paying half the price he was compared with vzw and is now contract free and happy with his nexus 5.

Upvote 0
I would consider the S5 because, wow they put out some awesome cameras, but touch wiz stinks and I'm not into paying $700 for a GPE of the GS5 that may hit the streets pretty soon, IMO the hardware doesn't justify the price. The hardware on the M8 does justify the price, and I like screen better on the M8, but the camera is just pure crap IMO. But that's just me and I'm not on VZW so I'm OK with my nexus 5 until either something comes out and knocks my socks off, or I'll just wait for what some are saying will be the last of the nexus phones with the nexus 6.

My cousin was faced with this scenario over the weekend, was coming from a GS4, hated touchwiz and complained about the phone freezing, etc. So after seeing how crappy the M8 camera was he decided to just order a nexus 5 and switch to at&t, he's paying half the price he was compared with vzw and is now contract free and happy with his nexus 5.

The hardware is practically the same between the two devices outside of the camera, battery, and USB 3.0 (which is a big deal, imo).

However, it is important to note that neither device is a game changer.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
The hardware is practically the same between the two devices outside of the camera, battery, and USB 3.0 (which is a big deal, imo).

However, it is important to note that neither device is a game changer.

Both the M8 and S5 are really incremental improvements over their predecessors, as I would expect. Don't think there are any real game changers here. For me, things like fingerprint unlocking or a heart rate monitor don't really justify spending equivalent of $700-800 on a cellphone, it's just too much IMO.

It's nice if one has the option of buying these latest flagship phones with a heavy carrier subsidy though, e.g. Verizon.

Reactions: NYCHitman1
Upvote 0
Both the M8 and S5 are really incremental improvements over their predecessors, as I would expect. Don't think there are any real game changers here. For me, things like fingerprint unlocking or a heart rate monitor don't really justify spending equivalent of $700-800 on a cellphone, it's just too much IMO.

It's nice if one has the option of buying these latest flagship phones with a heavy carrier subsidy though, e.g. Verizon.

My point exactly...$700 is just to much for an evolutionary phone that's not revolutionary. I did it for the HTC ONE M7 because at the time it was a game changer hardware wise, and pics were decent for the time in 2013. But this time around I just didn't feel the need to pull the trigger.

Upvote 0
I took the day off, went to AT&T this morning and bought the M8 to see for myself just what it's like. My first impression is it's a nice upgrade over the M7 I had last year.

Side by side with my current phones: Nexus 5, Galaxy S4, Note 3, I prefer the high quality, color balance and contrast of the Nexus 5 display.

Sense as implemented on the M8 is noticeably more appealing than last year's version. Unlike some I don't find TouchWiz objectionable as I've never had a problem with it. So for me either of those two are fine.

That said I do greatly prefer the pure Android experience that my Nexus 5 provides. I also like it's compact light form factor with it's grippy texture and sleek appearance. Another great feature is the three touch sensitive buttons that always appear below the display no matter the screen orientation. A mechanical home button like Samsung Apple and others use, is something I despise.

Overall I'm pleasantly surprised that my Nexus 5 is still the clear winner for me.

Make no mistake, each of these phones are excellent, in my opinion it's all about personal preference. You can't lose with any of them as I see it.

Upvote 0
FYI, the M8 has an IR 'blaster' and HTC announced there will be a pure Google version.

As for the camera, it sounds pretty awesome to me. Admittedly, it doesn't have the super high pixel count but like they say, people buy horsepower but drive torque: a bigger sensor with bigger pixels is going to produce better, less noisy images. And as I've never had image stabilisation, I guess I wouldn't miss it :D

All entirely irrelevant, of course coz I'm WAY too tight to pay

Upvote 0
Samsung's SAMOLED display is good, but far from best. I think that all depends on your cup of tea though. I'm not one for over-saturated colors. I prefer the natural hue of colors provided by SLCD2 display on HTC devices.
Perhaps true in the past, but not in the present. Sammy has come a long way with AMOLED technology.

Samsung Galaxy S5 Display Technology Shoot-Out | DisplayMate

Best Smartphone Display: Based on our extensive Lab tests and measurements, the Galaxy S5 is the Best performing Smartphone display that we have ever tested. It has a long list of new records for best Smartphone display performance including: Highest Brightness, Lowest Reflectance, Highest Color Accuracy, Infinite Contrast Ratio, Highest Contrast Rating in Ambient Light, and smallest Brightness Variation with Viewing Angle. The Galaxy S5 has raised the bar for top display performance up by another notch – an impressive achievement for OLED technology!

Most Accurate Colors: The Galaxy S5 Cinema Mode has the most accurate colors for any Smartphone or Tablet display that we have ever measured. This is especially important when viewing photos from family and friends (because you often know exactly what they actually should look like), for some TV shows, movies, and sporting events with image content and colors that you are familiar with, and also for viewing online merchandise, so you have a good idea of exactly what colors you’re buying and are less likely to return them.

This last paragraph is quite significant given the rave reviews DisplayMate used to give to Apple's LCDs for color accuracy.

Reactions: davoid and zipred
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones