• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Hi,

I will be upgrading shortly and can't decide between an S5 and an S6. Currently have an S3.

I'm a little disappointed that the S6 doesn't have a SD card slot, but have heard that the S5 has the same issue with destroying SD cards that the S3 has (at least my S3 does).

Not having a replaceable battery doesn't bother me too much.

So what should I do? Currently leaning towards an S5. Looking for opinions.

What do you value more, having the latest and greatest or a removable battery and SD?
I got the S5 knowing the S6 was coming out as I had no interest in it.
Haven't had any SD card failures in the S5 so far. That has a lot to do with using quality name-brand cards as well as buying them in a major store so they aren't counterfeit.

Upvote 0
I bought an S5 as you can get them for a great price. It's easy to root and put a custom ROM on, I put CM12.1 on mine and I'm very happy.

Never had an issue with corrupt SD cards with my S3 or S5 but I only buy Samsung or other good brands and get them from a store to avoid counterfeit. The only time I had an issue was I bought a 32Gb Samsung one from eBay and it would only show as 8Gb, turned out to be fake.

Reactions: HighSierra
Upvote 0
Thanks for all the replies. I guess I just don't like making decisions. :)

Actually the only thing that bothers me is the lack of replaceable battery in the S6.

I've learned to do without the Micro SD card in my S3. It ruined one Kingston 32gb card and messed up another several times (was able to reformat).

I think I'll go with the S5 (cheaper) and Wife and Daughter have S5's. I'm their technical support. :thinking:

Upvote 0
the S5 is still a terrific phone, mine has never ruined the SD card, those who experience that situation probably have inferior cards bought from a non-reputable source. I have always bought Samsung or SanDisk, no other, and always the best grade of SD card available.

if I can't replace the battery, I'm not interested in the phone.
same for the SD card.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones