• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help S5 shuts down, wrong date. Battery or overheating?

I have suddenly faced some problems with my S5, and I suspect it may be overheating or a battery issue. Looking for tech advice.

1. Only in the last couple of days, the phone boots up with the incorrect date (0700 on Sunday, 20 April 2014). The warning of this comes entirely from WhatsApp, and the time is corrected within 10 seconds of getting connected to the network.

2. When I try to launch a program, it shuts down before the program has started. Not every time, but about once every 5 or 6 launched. After that happens, pushing the On/Off does nothing, and I have to remove the battery. This is true whether it is plugged in or not.

3. When charging, the phone is very warm to the touch, warmer than before. It charges to 100%, but this is why I also suspect there is a battery issue.

4. The phone behaves more stably if I remove the backing, but that may just be an impression.

5. CPU temperature is higher than normal, in the 56+ range. Before, a high temp would be about 3 to 5 degrees C less.

6. The weather has been terribly hot and the phone lives in an un-air conditioned room. Daytime highs exceed 42 C.

What have I done?
1. I allowed the battery to go to zero, then recharged it to 100%. It took a little more than two hours. The result is that I could shut down and restart two times before that Time setting problem happened again.
2. I uninstalled Talkatone, which was persistently starting on startup. No difference.
3. I regularly use Clean Master and Battery Doctor, both of which report no problems and behave exactly the same.

Is this enough to go on?

I have suddenly faced some problems with my S5, and I suspect it may be overheating or a battery issue. Looking for tech advice.

1. Only in the last couple of days, the phone boots up with the incorrect date (0700 on Sunday, 20 April 2014). The warning of this comes entirely from WhatsApp, and the time is corrected within 10 seconds of getting connected to the network.

2. When I try to launch a program, it shuts down before the program has started. Not every time, but about once every 5 or 6 launched. After that happens, pushing the On/Off does nothing, and I have to remove the battery. This is true whether it is plugged in or not.

3. When charging, the phone is very warm to the touch, warmer than before. It charges to 100%, but this is why I also suspect there is a battery issue.

4. The phone behaves more stably if I remove the backing, but that may just be an impression.

5. CPU temperature is higher than normal, in the 56+ range. Before, a high temp would be about 3 to 5 degrees C less.

6. The weather has been terribly hot and the phone lives in an un-air conditioned room. Daytime highs exceed 42 C.

What have I done?
1. I allowed the battery to go to zero, then recharged it to 100%. It took a little more than two hours. The result is that I could shut down and restart two times before that Time setting problem happened again.
2. I uninstalled Talkatone, which was persistently starting on startup. No difference.
3. I regularly use Clean Master and Battery Doctor, both of which report no problems and behave exactly the same.

Is this enough to go on?

Hello and welcome to Android Forums cliffsloane555 :)

Sorry to learn that you are having problems. Lets see if we can sort you out.

First things first, which model of Glaxy S5 do you have and what precise firmware and CSC code are you running. See #1.3 and #1.8 of 40 Galaxy S5 models - Dummies Guide.

Next, to try and determine whether this is a hardware, firmware or a user apps and settings problem you should wipe your cache partition as per #1.3 of S5 Lollipop Update Problems - Dummies Guide. This, in itself can sort out a lot of issues by clearing out any detritus from previous firmwares and does not affect your data. Check your phone and see if the problem still persists after rebooting it.

If so, then try running your phone in Safe Mode as per #1.4 of the guide and see if the problem continues. If it does not, then it will be down to the user apps and settings. If it does continue, it could be because you may need to Factory Data Reset your phone as per post #2 of the guide.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones