• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

dcap0187

Jan 22, 2013
miami
www.d-cap.net
so i bought an s5 and gave my wife the s4, still waiting for a damn update for the s4 though. even though not a major upgrade the subtle changes to tw are very nice, more of a true vanilla android feel with the best of tw. battery life is great. so what is everyone's next move? are you guys upgrading to another samsung or moving on to other device's?

Congrats for your S5. Personally I'm watching really close the new Oneplus one, better specs than the S5 at half of the price but will wait a little bit after some real users reviews in order to get real info and for that will have to wait a couple of months. In my book it Looks too good to be true but who knows?

Reactions: mike28
Upvote 0
Sorry, other than screen size what specs on the OnePlus One are better than the Galaxy S5?

Only thing I can think of is 3GB of RAM and different storage options, OnePlus One is better value but better specs....

Bigger screen, more RAM, no Knox, CM11 pre installed, carrier unlocked and as you said for the price of one S5 I can buy 2 Oneplus one. Don't you think is enough?

Upvote 0
Bigger screen, more RAM, no Knox, CM11 pre installed, carrier unlocked and as you said for the price of one S5 I can buy 2 Oneplus one. Don't you think is enough?

Seriously?

I already mentioned RAM and if your honest you know that's not an advantage and neither is anything else you mentioned as it's either subjective or irrelevant.

I agree the OnePlus One is great value and I'm waiting for one myself but don't get carried away.

Upvote 0
I'm always honest in my replies as I'm in real life.
Could be irrelevant for you but not having Knox and having CM is a MUST for me.
I would never have an android device without rooting and having Knox void warranty. Right now I have a GS4 with 4.2 bootloader with a KK baseband and ROM with a modified u/v and o/c kernel and dozens of mods and rooted apps having the possibility to go back to stock and return my phone when I decide. You cant do that or you need to be stock which is a shame, believe me. Oneplus one gives that possibility.
And about RAM nobody can tell if really will be needed but is allways better to have it than not (LOL) Maybe some new games will need it or maybe some heavy multitasking?
As I said before:
FOR WHAT YOU SPEND ON YOUR GS5 I CAN BUY TWO, YES TWO Oneplus One's, one for me and one for my son.
I do not want to argue anymore. Its obvious the advantages of the Oneplus.
The Real Disadvantage: Chinese company not recognized (for the moment) but that's it.
Peace

Upvote 0
I'm always honest in my replies as I'm in real life.
Could be irrelevant for you but not having Knox and having CM is a MUST for me.
I would never have an android device without rooting and having Knox void warranty. Right now I have a GS4 with 4.2 bootloader with a KK baseband and ROM with a modified u/v and o/c kernel and dozens of mods and rooted apps having the possibility to go back to stock and return my phone when I decide. You cant do that or you need to be stock which is a shame, believe me. Oneplus one gives that possibility.
And about RAM nobody can tell if really will be needed but is allways better to have it than not (LOL) Maybe some new games will need it or maybe some heavy multitasking?
As I said before:
FOR WHAT YOU SPEND ON YOUR GS5 I CAN BUY TWO, YES TWO Oneplus One's, one for me and one for my son.
I do not want to argue anymore. Its obvious the advantages of the Oneplus.
The Real Disadvantage: Chinese company not recognized (for the moment) but that's it.
Peace

I'm using a Galaxy S4 myself with old bootloader and kitkat rom with no intention of buying the Galaxy S5 due to knox either, but I still can recognise the Galaxy S5 has better hardware and more features.

It's fine to be a fan of a product but you shouldn't let that cloud your impressions of other devices, while knox is important to us there are many users that don't care and even users that may desire this feature.

Price is the Oneplus One's only selling point, at the same price as the Galaxy S5 nobody would be interested.

We are not arguing btw, it's just a difference of opinion, it would be boring here if everyone thought the same. :p

Reactions: danyvw
Upvote 0
I'm using a Galaxy S4 myself with old bootloader and kitkat rom with no intention of buying the Galaxy S5 due to knox either, but I still can recognise the Galaxy S5 has better hardware and more features.

It's fine to be a fan of a product but you shouldn't let that cloud your impressions of other devices, while knox is important to us there are many users that don't care and even users that may desire this feature.

Price is the Oneplus One's only selling point, at the same price as the Galaxy S5 nobody would be interested.

We are not arguing btw, it's just a difference of opinion, it would be boring here if everyone thought the same. :p

Sure thing will be boring. I know many users don't care about rooting or knox an here you have a good valid point. Thanks for this constructive coversation dude.
btw: I'm not a fan of the ONO just I think is a good and very attractive alternative to other flagship phones. Time will tell if worth it.

Reactions: Shocky
Upvote 0
I shan't be buying another Samsung device. Knox was a step too far in my view. I was lucky with my S4 because I installed a new bootloader before the Knox enabled firmware was rolled out. I have not been as lucky with my Note 10.1 2014 and I don't want another device I cannot root without affecting its warranty or resale value.

Upvote 0
Nothing interesting enough out there right now to make me think about jumping to anything new. I'm still overall pretty happy with the S4, but agree the latest couple of updates have soured me a bit. Still, it works SO much better than my long string of HTC's that it is still a great experience for me. All I know for sure is I'll not own another HTC product.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones