• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

S7 Battery Drain fast past 1st month of ownership

BoostN

Lurker
Apr 13, 2015
All,

I've had the S7 since it came out. My first month of owning the phone the battery was phenomenal. I would have over 85% at lunch time (very little use however).

Now, I've had my phone off the charger since 7AM this morning. It's now 1:30 and I'm sitting at 64%.

Here is the GSAM screenshot.

Screenshot_20160926-132529.png

Any ideas? Obviously the phone radio is killing me here. In different areas I still have the most drain from the phone radio, so it's not isolated to one location. I'm in Nashville, so I shouldn't have any issues with Signal. I'm on AT&T.

I've tried the cache wipe, and even a couple of months ago I went through a full factory reset.

All,

I've had the S7 since it came out. My first month of owning the phone the battery was phenomenal. I would have over 85% at lunch time (very little use however).

Now, I've had my phone off the charger since 7AM this morning. It's now 1:30 and I'm sitting at 64%.

Here is the GSAM screenshot.

View attachment 110117

Any ideas? Obviously the phone radio is killing me here. In different areas I still have the most drain from the phone radio, so it's not isolated to one location. I'm in Nashville, so I shouldn't have any issues with Signal. I'm on AT&T.

I've tried the cache wipe, and even a couple of months ago I went through a full factory reset.

Same thing happened to me this morning. Galaxy s7 did an update and after that my battery drained in 1 hour. Recharged and did the same thing. Called Samsung tech, they passed the buck to Google (very nice customer service), couldn’t help, called at&t passed the buck back to Samsung!

Upvote 0
the last two or three times that my phones upgraded, the battery life the 1st or 2nd day was less than normal.

I just make it a habit to restart the phone everyday until it stabilizes, which is usually about the 3rd day.... then it seems to me, that everything returns to normal, just like it was before the upgrade.

Hard to nail down "better or worse", as I don't use my phones exactly the same way, every day...
some days, I just laze around and watch a bit of TV or read books... I'm a bookaholic....

Other days, I am away from home and keep the phone on most of the time browsing the Internet and the forums..... keep that screen lit up, and the battery life is going to suffer.

when my phone is locked, I have a macro that turns off data and WiFi which stops all Internet activity. that lets the phone coast along for hours and hours w/o using much battery power.

Upvote 0
I just hard rebooted and are getting the same results. My battery is draining and phone is warm. When I reset I was not sure about the options to reinstall previous apps and OS. Did you get this? What options did you actually choose when you reset?
Thanks

I didn't restore previous apps or anything. I just signed in with my Google and Samsung account and started re downloading my most used apps.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply. What about the operating system? Upon reset will it install the latest OS which is probably the one that caused all the issues yesterday or is there an option just to install the original OS?
Am I making sense?
Thanks

You don't get an option to pick which version of OS you want. I simply went to the Backup and Reset menu and choose to do to a factory reset. My current Android Version is 6.0.1.

Upvote 0
I too took my phone off charge this morning. Went to work had 90% or so. Few emails, nothing more, just ½ hour ago (2 hours after) pick up phone dead! Battery totally drained. I used to get almost a full day of use.

This definitely has something to do with the updated the other day (AT&T). Re-installing does nothing since it just reinstall the latest OS. This is an issue and I can’t be the only out there! Let’s hear form others. My OS is 6.0.1

Upvote 0
I booted into safe mode and it at least seems to be charging. It was getting quite hot behind the power button, which is where the processor is? Now in Safe Mode the back is cool like normal.

So it about has to be some offending app. But I haven't installed anything in several weeks. Some updates come through every few days it seems like, so I'm going to be trying to isolate the app.

Upvote 0
I booted into safe mode and it at least seems to be charging. It was getting quite hot behind the power button, which is where the processor is? Now in Safe Mode the back is cool like normal.

So it about has to be some offending app. But I haven't installed anything in several weeks. Some updates come through every few days it seems like, so I'm going to be trying to isolate the app.

So I removed most the apps that had updated in the last couple of days. Still drinking battery like it's going out of style. Gonna do a FDR soon. That's such a pain. It's easier than it used to be (i've gotten better at it) but it makes me mad I have to do this.

I've had a lot of problems with out S7E's. May look to another brand next time around. Though, it's probably not Samsung's fault in this case. :thinking:

Upvote 0
This is crazy. My phone just went from 49% a few minutes ago to zero! Just plugged in and zero % battery. I’ve had this s7 since it came out and was performing well giving almost a whole day of use and since this last update this past week, the battery drain problem continues. Reinstalled software 3 times already. I don't know what to do.

Any ideas out there guys?

Thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones