Sad day. I uninstalled Home++

Last Updated:

1. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been using Home++ since I first heard about it. Love the program, love the constant updates and improvements from the developer. I had tried many other home replacements before it and was unsatisfied. Today I was finally to the point of being fed up with my Droid. It's been doing weird things. Home screens wouldn't slide half the time, the Phone app was acting finicky, overall speed was definitely diminished.

I couldn't really figure out what was doing it since I haven't installed much in the way of new software recently. I decided - on a whim - to go back to the default home just to see if it made any difference.

Not only did it make a difference, it literally removed all of the annoyances I've had. Normal use of the phone, home screens, loading apps, everything is honestly much faster and more stable. I don't know what happened, because I used Home++ for a while and only recently started seeing issues which I had no idea were related to it. I'm kind of disappointed, because I really liked the features, but for now I'm better off without it.

Now to get that 2.1 install done.. I'm still being a baby about it.

Advertisement
  2. karimarie

karimarie Well-Known Member

I just got rid of OpenHome a couple of days ago for the same reasons. It was a sad moment for me too, but the improved speed and stability have been worth it.

But dang, I miss my 5 home screens...

3. dave412_4

dave412_4 Well-Known Member

I just uninstalled Home++ the latest update made it so unstable for me. I would get at least 4 FC's a day. I'm back to stock and everything is perfect. I tired Launcher+ and still got FC's. I loved Home++ i sure hope they fix this soon it has been in beta for quite a while now.

4. bigdroiddog

bigdroiddog Well-Known Member

I still love my home++. i get a few Fc's now and then but when i hit close its back up running in full 5 seconds later so it does not bother me to much. At times its sluggish but with use of the advanced task manager and excluding the proper programs from ending, you can keep your phone running smooth on a consistent basis.YOu have to think of this phone like a desk top computer and having processes running in the back round and taking up ram which most are not needed.I think home++ will come around and be polished soon, i think the developer has built in the best interest of the users into his program and giving us just what we want in a home app.

5. Psychokitty

Psychokitty Well-Known Member

Yeah, sadly Home is giving me the same issues. I've slimmed down some things and reinstalled it, but it's still problematic. Gonna wait for an update because I've read other places that the latest update seems to have (possibly) caused this decreased stability.

6. gbaird

gbaird Member

It never caused my phone to lag or FC, however, it seemed to drain the heck out of my battery. Once I uninstalled it, no more problems. I hated to do it because it was so much better than the default home screen. Plus, Home ++ has a great price;)

7. superdesi

superdesi Well-Known Member

I got FCs on pandahome and home++ constantly so now I'm down to the stock home. its still a little weird for me tho. apps are not running smoothly sometimes will freeze and not respond (apps like quick inbstaller, qik, and a few games even!) I've had one FC on the stock home i think but theres still lag. I hope 2.1 will fix my woes :-/

8. sooper_droid12

sooper_droid12 Well-Known Member

I've had a few FC's, but I attribute that to the fact that I'm running a lot more widgets and have a ton more apps available on home screens than with stock. Of course, with more apps available and widgets, there are more background processes. Most of the time, I've got the background updates turned off for most of the day to conserve batteries. Turning off user analytics helps some, if you haven't done that. Other than that, I'd experience a FC where it'd have to pause for 5 seconds to catch up maybe once a week? And the only real lag that I've experienced is in keeping the phone in landscape mode without the keyboard open while it updates all my widgets. But I can't give up the ability to look at my phone in landscape mode without the need to open the keyboard.

9. boycan

boycan Well-Known Member

HOME++ has not played well with my DROID since the 2.01 upgrade, I keep installing it then my DROID gets sick so I uninstall it and everything is fine again?

10. superdesi

superdesi Well-Known Member

yea the landscape freezing issue was another factor why i went back to stock home. Apparently (though I dont kno if the problem still exists) launcher+ had the notorious problem of force closing when going into landscape.

11. sooper_droid12

But even with landscape, I'd experience a FC once a week? But only the FC problem where I could press "wait" and it'd fix itself.

12. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I can't believe I beat you to installing 2.1. I can tell you since moving to 2.1 I too have left Home ++.

13. AZDroid

AZDroid Well-Known Member

I have used several of the home replacements, free and paid, but have settled on Launcher+ Not all of the fancy bells and whistles, but 7 home screens and the screen switcher are better than just the stock 3 screens. I have not had any issues with it, occasionally not real smooth with screen transitions, but this is usually only if I have a lot of stuff running in the background but no force closes at all.

Once in a while I try one of the others again when I see there has been a update, but they usually produce more lag than I want to deal with.

14. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Home++ started messing around with me lately, too. Instead of hitting the sleep button to turn my phone's display on, I usually slide the keyboard because I'm about to use it for something (yes, I know, I actually type with the hardware keyboard, GASP!). And sometimes, the keyboard backlight will go on and everything LOOKS like it's working, except the screen stays black for several seconds. One time it just wouldn't turn on and I had to do a battery pull. And it's definitely Home++, because when I tried uninstalling it, I didn't have this issue anymore. :(

15. PetiePal

PetiePal Well-Known Member

Just curious and I haven't seen the answer mentioned before, but why doesn't the current OS support more than 3 home screens? Wonder if they will just incorporate it into later Android versions...the phone is definitely capable of handling it.

16. vincentp

vincentp Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Not really sure why they only put three in there. I'm pretty sure 2.1 uses more (5?) home screens though.

17. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member

There is always Launcher+ too for just the home screens. It seemed to me all the home replacement apps dragged phones down, but Launcher+ seems to not affect things much other than adding the home screens.

18. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

That is correct ... 2.1 gives you 5 desktops. Unfortunately, you can't scroll all the way through them in one direction. There are these little dots though at the bottom of the screens (left and/right) that tell you which desktop you're on. Pretty cool.

Have y'all seen THIS THREAD yet? 2.1 desktops on 2.0.1 without root.

19. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

I uninstalled Home++ after using it for 2 weeks.. i dont use any of its features except for removing the status bar so i didnt mind ditching it. i would get tons of force closes each day and it didnt act friendly with handcent sms popup and sms unread counter. been 2 days since i uninstalled it, not a single force close. phone is so much faster and responsive. only thing im upset about is with home++ the homescreen would rotate landscape when the slider was closed, now it is stuck in portrait when slider is closed.. but whatever

20. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

As much as it pains me to say it, I think this is a situation where we should be taking an example from the iPhone. Have one home screen, and then when the user drags an app icon to the right of the screen, it makes a new one! Why should we bother having a set amount of screens? Personally, I only use one home screen! But I can understand why people would want as many as they do (7 home screens? I could never keep track, but if it floats your boat :p)

Maybe I'm missing some sort of advantage that we have with this current setup?

21. MisterEff

MisterEff Well-Known Member

Up until the 2.1 launcher I also used one screen...well two but the other one only had the power widget. Now I use three, the power widget on the left. The beautiful widget home in the middle along with the apps I use daily and just a few apps I use weekly on the right. I don't see a need for 5 when they are so neatly organized in the tray.

22. sooper_droid12

I think there are other things at work with people's force closes. As many as 5 FC's a day? Really? Not working well with Handcent? I have Handcent SMS and I've NEVER had a problem with Home++ jiving with Handcent. Either way, the very minor issues I'm having with Home++ aren't enough to uninstall it for me and I've had an overall positive experience with it. But it's true that it (and other apps) could be updated for better compatibility with each other.

23. DanSan

DanSan Well-Known Member

i dont know how better to explain it.. i had home++ and handcent sms for over 2 weeks. after certain updates to both programs they both became very buggy when working with each other. handcent popups would cause home++ force closes and home++ would cause handcent force closes and end up with me getting the same text like 10 times or sending the person the same text 10 times. been 2 days, since i uninstalled home++, not a single forceclose, the phone runs so smooth and i have yet to have a problem with texts deleting or sending and receiving like 30 of the same one.

24. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Yeah im running panda home... I love the extra screens but i've been thinking of uninstalling as well.

25. soulesschild

soulesschild Well-Known Member

There was another thread like this and again I'd like to know what apps you guys are running. i'm running Home++ and Handcent along with a buncha other stuff and I do get a FC once in awhile(read like 1 every 3-4 days), but it's nothing like 5 a day. So I'm going to guess there's other apps/widgets involved that don't play nice with each other.